Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Philip Millard

Nicktoix

It is with sadness I attach the following from the LNWR Society website. He was a gentleman and a fine modeller also one time owner of the Home of O Gauge.

"The London & North Western Railway Society regret to announce the death of our long standing member Philip Millard. Joining the Society in 1977 as member number 92 Philip soon became an acknowledged expert on LNWR carriages. He was the author or co author of many publications on the subject which remain the seminal works in this field. He was also a highly skilled modeller with an impressive output of model LNWR carriages. We will remember him for his detailed knowledge but even more so for his willingness to share such valuable information. Our Society owes him a huge debt, as do all of us with an interest in the Premier Line. We should be especially grateful that Philip took steps to ensure that his research material was secured for the future by donating it to the Society. Philip enriched our Society in so many ways, we shall all miss him.
John Gowers Chair London & North Western Railway Society"

Nick

• Friendly/supportive 16

I once went to a meeting he hosted at his house, "Claughton", where we were shown his exquisite EM West Cumberland lines layout in the loft.  It was a most memorable day.  He also had an LNWR signal which had been erected in the garden.  I seem to recall that he'd had to shorten it somewhat as it had suffered some rot, and of course North-Western signals were noted for their extreme height, even among other pre-grouping signals.  I once bought a set of his "Red Rose" etched zinc carriage sides, these were only etched on one side only so you had to open up the windows yourself.  He related a story of someone probing him about some fact or other in one of his carriage books and he readily admitted that once he written it up he then had to read the book to find the answer.  A true and very knowledgable gentleman who will be much missed,

• Like 2

Like many O gauge modellers, I first knew Philip as the owner of "Home of O Gauge", his shop in Raynes Park. A  wonderfully cramped emporium of everything to do with 7mm modelling and one of the very few model shops that actually sold 7mm kits. AAdditionally, Philip also manufactured the 'Mega' range of 7mm kits which were arguably more aids to scratchbuilders though in his hands turned out to be rather fine when made up.

Later when I started designing kits such as the LNWR coaches that ran over the District Railway to Earls Court, his encyclopedic knowledge of all things LNWR and his willingness to impart that knowledge showed another very generous side to him. 

He will be missed by many.

• Like 2

Philip did outstanding work to record and publish information on LNWR and WCJS carriages. He was always  helpful with any queries and was very generous with his support of the LNWR Society. I hadn't seen him for some time and knew he was in poor health but his passing still comes as a shock.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Very sad to read this news. As an O Gauge kit manufacturer, I dealt with him over many years through Hiome of O Gauge. He ran a tight ship and was very professional at all times - always paying his bills promptly! I liked his sense of humour and would get at least one hearty chuckle from any phone conversation had.

David Parkins

• RMweb Gold

Very sad, a very knowledgable chap and generous with information.

But am I the only one to have also found him to be a bit of a "rum" character?

A visit to home of O Gauge circa 1978 saw him selling me some parts that he would have known I'd never use. They are still in the same cigar box I carefully placed them in all those years ago...

RIP Philip

• Friendly/supportive 2