A new 00 Great Western 0-6-0 - PT or ST?

A new 00 Great Western 0-6-0 - PT or ST?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. If an enterprising RTR manufacturer was to produce a new-tooled 00 RTR model of a Great Western 0-6-0 of 19th century origin in both pannier and saddle tank form which version would you buy?

• pannier tank
    • saddle tank
    • neither - but I'd really like a 0-4-2T or 2-4-0T!
    • none of the above
  2. 2. Have you also responded to Neal Ball's pannier tank poll?

• yes
    • no

1 hour ago, Simond said:

But why would the good burghers of Birkenhead (of which I was one until moving to Kent some 28 years ago) want an advert for a hotel so close? 

Would the good burghers of Birkenhead have much say in it?

• Like 1

The hotel was aimed at Americans though and was a "bit posh". I can't see them advertising to locals, more people trying to find somewhere to stay if their sailing was delayed due to bad weather.

Birkenhead had boat trains for those that wanted to get to Liverpool (direct train from the SECR for example) and regular trains from Paddington.

That's my reasoning for it possibly being Birkenhead. They also had a bewildering array of odd GWR tank engines.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Jason,

I could entirely agree with you if it were Woodside, any “posh southerners” needing suitable accommodation (or posh nosh) would most likely have headed across the river to the big city…. Then again, would you travel 200 odd miles without having accommodation booked?

I’d be very confident that it isn’t Woodside however, but it might be one of the stations before, e.g. Rock Ferry, or that area. 

4 hours ago, JimC said:

Would the good burghers of Birkenhead have much say in it?

well, no, but presuming the hotel management weren’t daft, why would they  spend their money to advertise to those who would not naturally spend their cash there?

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Bringing the thread back on topic there seems an untapped demand for a GWR saddle tank (admittedly there is not a large number of respondents).

The other survey on pannier tanks  suggests to me that that there is as much interest in pannier tanks other than 57xx.

Maybe for pre grouping /pre 1930 branch lines where the smaller pannier locos were more likely to be found?

Edited by rprodgers
Correction
  • Like 3

If we are embarking on a ferry across the river of wishful thinking, we should consider lobbying for one of the ex South Devon Railway broad gauge - that’s right RTR broad gauge- saddle tanks, say the Buffalo class (just to include the possibility of creative if not wilful misunderstanding by encouraging confusion between these and the convertible 1076 class buffalo saddle tanks). 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 09/02/2022 at 17:11, The Johnster said:

I have a Wills (SEF) 1854, kindly given my by Philou of this parish.  The chassis is beyond redemption,

The chassis was updated with a etched nickel one containing extra parts for  the body. I replaced the chassis, on mine a few years back. If you buy a recent kit, this includes the new chassis, which is also available separately. It should be available from Squires, the new owners of SEF, since Dave Ellis sold it to concentrate on Nucast Partners, Speaking of which the reintroduced and updated Nucast 2021 is available in both saddle and pannier versions.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

If the question is for RTR, then I think we've asked for just about all of the various types & sub-classes known. Certain rules remain, however. 

You cannot honestly expect major producers to make the lesser numbered classes, so I wouldn't expect to see the 97XX class, unless it's K's. Bachmann rather put topfeed on all its product, which was-is a pity. That leaves us with the Hornby 2721. Now, We all joked about the tri-ang toad van, until the top range toad came along. It's not beyond imagination to ask Hornby to make the 2721, or, the 1661 Just right to accompany the Lord of the Isles. 

Ian.

Edited by tomparryharry
Pore Spellinge.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2