Loco runs well forward, poorly in reverse

bluestag

10 hours ago, budgie9 said:

I look forward to hearing how you get on with resolving your issues. I am on my last full build, a Martin Finney 51/61xx, of model locos,   going back nearly 50 years.  But I have one more chassis to build on it's way from the UK as I write. It is to go on my well or should I say overly worn out Grange loco. That poor loco has done more miles than I care to think about. so it has to have a complete new chassis and that I think will be the last - unless I find another.

Nah!   Never quit!   The loco is running vastly better now, almost without hesitation in reverse.    I left some critical tools at John's place on Saturday, and that is 105 miles away; I am awaiting the post.    When they arrive, I'll give the chassis one more close look.   Then a long proving period before I strip it down to add the springs and paint it, and then build the brakes, which is a pretty scary place to go, as it is about irreversible.   Actually, I am pondering how I could make them spring onto the hanger stubs.   Unlike a lot of LNWR locos, this one has the pull rods running down the center.   If I am terribly clever, I should be able to build them to come out.   I always find the brakes to be a challenge.   This particular kit came with 3D printed brake shoes in plastic.    I don't know yet how they will respond to heat, but at least they won't short out.

I tend to set up a simple small wooden jig to assemble my brake assemblies, it is easier to do it that way. A block of Balsa wood and the wife's pins. Makes life easy for the fine bits.  I don't know how it is with your model, but see if you can do the same to assemble it.

Only soldering the parts you need to solder. Then glue the rest with super glue. They will hold well. I find that you can get some nice looking shoes in plastic these days and they get close to the wheels without causing an issue,  they can look better. I have used then on a couple of my locos in the past. If you paint the chassis black or weathering it, you barely see they are very slightly thicker.

Luck forward to hearing more,

David.

• 3 months later...