Painting on Evergreen plastic.

I am about to start painting the goods shed I have been constructing using Precision paints. I have a choice of two primers, Halford grey primer or Simoniz plastic primer. Now you might be wondering why I don't just paint directly onto the plastic like I am doing with the primer or spray the Precision paint directly onto the plastic. In the past when I have tried painting directly onto the plastic I have found that the paint doesn't adhere to the material very well and it has needed another coat. I assume the reason for this is that I haven't keyed the shinny plastic by rubbing it down with very fine wet and dry paper, fiberglass brush or primer. The two primers I mentioned give slightly different finishes, Halfords gives a matt finish and Simoniz gives a smoother finish. I always prefer spraying as apposed to hand brushing but on some occasions it is easier to paint by hand when it comes to the detailing. I would be interested to know what approach other modellers use in tackling this subject and if they had any useful tips.