GNF951E an N gauge Outside Broadcast control room

acg5324

• RMweb Premium

To go with my Kensington Olympia layout I was looking for an TV station vehicle and came across this Vehicle built for ABC TV and then went to Thames TV when it won the ITV franchise. The real vehicle is built on a Bedford VAL coach chassis.

Other than the wheel, tyres and axles ( from DM Toys in Germany ) its completely scratchbuilt.

D27E5693-D618-493C-BD4A-E977DDF69E7D.jpeg

F80CEAFB-97B8-4DCF-93EE-9CCD20827BCF.jpeg

2F6004FE-E94D-46A9-AC7F-83C228D45434.jpeg

6831B1E9-E3C2-4E08-AE4A-1C097C030DD3.jpeg

E7A4AC18-7809-4E50-887C-21C00762776F.jpeg

A9EC926A-1D1A-418A-8327-C72B627E22D1.jpeg

F4C4523C-5B50-45E9-BF97-7FAE6706914E.jpeg

90FE46EF-6588-4A69-85B2-DA349E520D57.jpeg

0A5FF2FC-4E3D-456D-A470-2616874D40EF.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

2 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Southern Television had something similar on a Bedford VAL chassis which passed to TVS and also still survived. 

Here's a 4mm model of the Southern Television vehicle, built by a fellow-member of the National Association of Road Transport Modellers.

39104.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Southern Television had something similar on a Bedford VAL chassis which passed to TVS and also still survived. 

Yes that’s also on the BECG website

https://becg.org.uk/projects/southern-television/

I wish Oxford would do a VAL in 1/148.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have you tried suggesting it to them? They have been quite amenable in the past, several of my "wish  list" vehicles are now in the range, maybe if a few suggest the same thing Oxford might think it worthwhile to produce one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, fodenway said:

Have you tried suggesting it to them? They have been quite amenable in the past, several of my "wish  list" vehicles are now in the range, maybe if a few suggest the same thing Oxford might think it worthwhile to produce one.

Good idea, the only issue with that is the lack of any new N gauge models from them. The most common body was the Plaxton panorama that has already been produce by Oxford…..a Duple Viceroy would be a different body shape for them.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Good idea, the only issue with that is the lack of any new N gauge models from them. The most common body was the Plaxton panorama that has already been produce by Oxford…..a Duple Viceroy would be a different body shape for them.

On Oxford Diecast's Facebook page yesterday they asked specifically what 1/76 models should be shrunk to 1/148 scale. Prompted a few people to wish list as well, although there is a whole separate Facebook group for people's suggestions of new models for Oxford to make, admittedly populated by many people with zero appreciation of what could be remotely viable.

I have a vintage set of Dinky BBC outside broadcast vehicles, and the modern N equivalent from the Bandai working vehicle collection.

https://www.1999.co.jp/itbig05/10051925a.jpg

They also made some 4 axle horseboxes which might make donor material for a Southern TV lookalike using  the front off an Oxford Panorama.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mike Harvey said:

On Oxford Diecast's Facebook page yesterday they asked specifically what 1/76 models should be shrunk to 1/148 scale. Prompted a few people to wish list as well, although there is a whole separate Facebook group for people's suggestions of new models for Oxford to make, admittedly populated by many people with zero appreciation of what could be remotely viable.

I have a vintage set of Dinky BBC outside broadcast vehicles, and the modern N equivalent from the Bandai working vehicle collection.

https://www.1999.co.jp/itbig05/10051925a.jpg

They also made some 4 axle horseboxes which might make donor material for a Southern TV lookalike using  the front off an Oxford Panorama.

Thank you Mike…I’ve added my two penny’s worth…and agreed with your suggestions….and several others.

1 hour ago, Steadfast said:

Issue with three Minis, one red, one white and one blue. How many layouts would have a gold robbery on them then?

Jo

There is a Harrington Legionaire bodied coach on Shapeways, unfortunately with solid windows, but right for balancing on the edge of a mountain road.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/3LP5SLJSP/italian-job-bus-harrington-legionnaire?optionId=93915929&li=marketplace

Comes in a load of scales so could be rescaled to 1/148.

Edited by Mike Harvey
Added link