Kleinbahn 93 2-8-2T

Gilwell Park

Ooh, sorry to hear that, unfortunately when mazak rot sets in it's usually game over and it's definitely something to watch out for on older Kleinbahn and Rivarossi models. Did the seller declare the poor running or that there was a problem with it? I've been lucky so far in that none of my 70's-90's vintage models have exhibited this problem, if you google it there is discusion on line about the causes and possible treatment.

There is a thread here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_pest

Hi TT-Pete

Interestingly the model was sold as "used"  Which according to Ebay means " fully operational, functions as intended".  It was also described as " not tested" which rather contradicts the Ebay definition. The loco was in immaculate condition still wrapped in Kleinbahn tissue. When I first applied power, just a buzz, so I removed the motor which ran perfectly. As the wheels would not move I suspected Mazak rot but as it was bone dry i lubricated thoroughly, probably too much but it began jerky movement. I left it overnight and was better the following day and has improved since. I reckon it had never been used or oiled and just needs running in. So no Mazak rot.  Roger

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Was it Kleinbahn or Klein Modellbahn? (the Brother of the guy who manufactured Kleinbahn) 

Klein Modellbahn had the Mazak rot problem ion almost all of their engines and I lost several otherwise wonderfully detailed models.

Kleinbahn itself, with their more play like approach and less details obviously used a better alloy and never had mazak rot problems.