Peco/Parkside PC54 - wrong running numbers on transfers?

Br50_Kab

Good evening,

i hope this is the correct section of the forum, as it can cover several sub-sections (manufacturer, kits and historical/prototype):umbrage:

A couple of months ago, I bought a Parkside PC54 kit of the BR Dia 1/109, checked it shortly and then put aside. Now, I had a closer look at it (still not anywhere near building it though....), I noticed, that the running numbers on the supplied transfer sheet do not match the numbers given in the "Sample Numbers" list given with the building instructions.

I do wonder now what would be correct; the numbers on the sheet or those given as sample numbers?

According to the sample numbers, the Dia 1/109 hat the numbers: B102300-3649, B108361-110360, B141361-3360, B213201-4832 and B244109-5358. On the transfer sheet the three possible numbers are B147494, B69644 and B157570.

On a side note: To me, the numbers on the sheet seem to be Dia 1/108 numbers? Could I use these to customise the Bachmann (Dia 1/108) models?

In case the numbers on the sheet are wrong, how could I solve this issue? As I am living on the Continent (and am not an English Native speaker so my connections to the UK are, let's say, rather limited), ordering transfers from third-party suppliers can, I think, become quite costly.

I think that I have seen a thread on this forum that people, who had the Peco/Parkside Dia 1/108 kits, found the numbers of Dia 1/109s on their sheets. Unfortunately, I haven't found this thread now.

As the mistake seems to be one of the manufacturer, could writing to Peco be an option to receive a sheet with the correct numbers? Although I only think that that would make sense, if I knew that the numbers of the Dia 1/109 wagons are on a sheet for another wagon of their range. Otherwise I might receive another sheet labelled "PC54" with, again, wrong numbers.....

Thanks in advance for any answers,

Bendix

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wheatley said:

According to Larkin B147494 and B69644 are D1/109s, I can't find the third one though. ("Wagons of the Early BR Era",  Kestrel, 2006).

Even if they are wrong you can chop them about.  For example, you can make B141575 from B147494 and B157570. 

in "An Illustrated History of BR Wagons Volume One" B157570 is listed as a Dia 1/109, one of 350 built at Ashford in 1954/5 (Lot 2567, numbers B157222 -B157571.)

• Thanks 2

Thanks, that number series is missing from the 'Era' books as far as I can tell, although it's also possible that it's there and I just can't see it ! We owe Messrs Larkin, Bartlett, Rowland, Monk Steele and others a huge debt of gratitude for recording all this in the first place. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

All are listed under Diagram 1/109 in Don Rowland's 'British Railways Wagons, the first half million'. 

14 hours ago, Wheatley said:

According to Larkin B147494 and B69644 are D1/109s,

Lot No. 2221, B69600 - B70099, 1950 programme, built Hurst Nelson.

Lot No. 2517, B147494 - B147960, 1953 programme, built Hurst Nelson.

12 hours ago, Wellyboots said:

in "An Illustrated History of BR Wagons Volume One" B157570 is listed as a Dia 1/109, one of 350 built at Ashford in 1954/5 (Lot 2567, numbers B157222 -B157571.)

Lot 2567 was ordered under the 1954 programme but with large number of wagons being built at the time deliveries would be likely to span more than one year.

In all BR built or bought about a quarter of a million 16T End-door Minerals between 1950 and 1960. Diagram 1/108 accounted for over 80% of the total, outnumbering Diagram 1/109 by about 13 to 1

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the replies, I received:good:.

As British models started as a side-thing next to my continental stock (after a visit to Britain in 2008 and a goods wagon that was bought as a souvenir), it has grown a bit but I still don't own any literature I'm afraid, so have to rely on what can be found on the internet.

I suppose nothing is known about which end doors the three wagons (as per the transfer sheet) had? I don't have a preference for either type of door, so could probably get away with the version I like. On the other hand however, maybe there are records of -at least- the types fitted when new:sorry:

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2022 at 17:20, Br50_Kab said:

Thanks for all the replies, I received:good:.

As British models started as a side-thing next to my continental stock (after a visit to Britain in 2008 and a goods wagon that was bought as a souvenir), it has grown a bit but I still don't own any literature I'm afraid, so have to rely on what can be found on the internet.

I suppose nothing is known about which end doors the three wagons (as per the transfer sheet) had? I don't have a preference for either type of door, so could probably get away with the version I like. On the other hand however, maybe there are records of -at least- the types fitted when new:sorry:

As a general rule the pressed steel doors were fitted from new on some wagons and were usually replaced with fabricated steel doors mid life, very few had pressed steel doors by the time they were withdrawn in the mid 1960s.