Suitable Airbrush Set

It depends what your budget is, although you can find plenty of complete airbrush and compressor kits on Amazon and eBay which do the job just fine. 

I would use the search function here on the forum, there is plenty of existing threads with lots of advice.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Consider also whether want something cheap & cheerful, just to get started with, that you will end up replacing with something better/more expensive or whether you want to jump straight in with a decent double-action airbrush and take a while learning how to use it properly. If the latter, I can fully recommend the Neo for Iwata CN with the 0.5mm nozzle and needle. It's gone up a bit in price, since I bought mine, but it is still good value for money IMHO.

David           

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi, thanks gents.  Basically after equipment which provides the ability to do a decent job as hopefully skills and confidence increase.  Don't necessarily need a Rolls Royce, but don't want to buy rubbish and get rubbish!  Just something that delivers a decent finish - mid range?

Airbrush - Obviously herd of Badger for many years, so are they still good or are there some better makes nowadays?

Compressor - Would I be correct to say that basically any non-oil compressor, with air tank and a filter/moisture trap would be sufficient?  Also filter at the airbrush?

Thanks.

I definitely recommend Iwata brushes and if you can stretch to a high spec compressor so much the better. You do need a plentiful and reliable source of air. It is best to avoid cut  price but inadequate products which will cause endless frustration so avoid the bottom of the market. 

Edited by Hibelroad
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

It really does depend on your budget but if you can find what you want from a recognised retailer you'll also get decent product support I use an Iwata by neo trigger brush but the Sparmax 35 which I also use occasionally has good reviews and is a budget airbrush.

https://www.graphicsdirect.co.uk/products/sparmax-sp35-double-action-airbrush?gclid=Cj0KCQiAjc2QBhDgARIsAMc3SqQptl5qPfxqvlNxWFf3Arsulabb1gniaIHYate-C9WVKMNql7umr8IaAg-vEALw_wcB

Please also consider your spraying arrangements - a spray booth is recommended - and there is little difference in risk if using acrylics as both acrylics and enamels have fine particles which can do damage.

Chris

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hibelroad said:

I definitely recommend Iwata brushes and if you can stretch to a high spec compressor so much the better. You do need a plentiful and reliable source of air. It is best to avoid cut  price but inadequate products which will cause endless frustration so avoid the bottom of the market. 

Yes, thanks.  There's a little chicken and egg situation - having never airbrushed before do you risk circa £200+ on sparmax (only equivalent to a loco and few wagons), or see how you get on with lesser? And then upgrade if you get on with it?

2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

It really does depend on your budget but if you can find what you want from a recognised retailer you'll also get decent product support I use an Iwata by neo trigger brush but the Sparmax 35 which I also use occasionally has good reviews and is a budget airbrush.

https://www.graphicsdirect.co.uk/products/sparmax-sp35-double-action-airbrush?gclid=Cj0KCQiAjc2QBhDgARIsAMc3SqQptl5qPfxqvlNxWFf3Arsulabb1gniaIHYate-C9WVKMNql7umr8IaAg-vEALw_wcB

Please also consider your spraying arrangements - a spray booth is recommended - and there is little difference in risk if using acrylics as both acrylics and enamels have fine particles which can do damage.

Chris

Thanks.  Basically want a set that is going to work.  Not necessarily going to use it masses but obviously need to practice 1st to learn about the craft, paint etc..  Sparmax compressor is over £200 so circa a loco and few wagons. 

Spraying area - many thanks for mentioning this.  I were considering to use the utility room toilet, which has a opening window, plenty of light, no dust unlike garage and to create a small booth that fits on an old high chair frame to give a comfortable working height.  I was going to invest in a proper facemask/respirator, which may have a double use it Covid were to kick off big style again, as I am classed as at risk.  Plus possibly, if I were to do more

spraying - add an extractor fan, or even cheap cooker hood (3 speeds plus LED light) to the rear of the booth connected with flexible hose to pop out of the window.  If that would work?

Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

I use a fairly basic 'AS186' type compressor (available under different names) which has a reservoir tank, watertrap and variable pressure control. It's relatively quiet, doesn't cost the eath and is more than adaquate for hobby use.

Review:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/dmadoomad/as-186-compressor-review-t8.html

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

45 minutes ago, Kylestrome said:

I use a fairly basic 'AS186' type compressor (available under different names) which has a reservoir tank, watertrap and variable pressure control. It's relatively quiet, doesn't cost the eath and is more than adaquate for hobby use.

Review:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/dmadoomad/as-186-compressor-review-t8.html

David

Thanks and I think from what they are saying the AF is slightly better as it has a cooling fan.  I suppose it is not going to last as long as a top notch version, but as long as it provides a quality air supply....  

Cheers.

36 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

Thanks and I think from what they are saying the AF is slightly better as it has a cooling fan.  I suppose it is not going to last as long as a top notch version, but as long as it provides a quality air supply....  

Cheers.

It depends on how heavily you want to use it.

If you are going to use it for 2-3 hours solid a day for 3-4 days a week, then a nice compressor may be a good investment. If you only use it for a couple of hours every few weeks, then an AS186 should be fine.

If you are asking about it, I guess the latter is more likely?

According to Youtubers, a tankless compressor does not pulse because this is absorbed by the hose. It does allow the compressor to only run in short cycles to recharge the tank. Most compressors will recommend something like 10 minutes rest after 10 minutes use. Having a tank will give your compressor this rest.

I also got good results from my Badger 200. Double action is not a must have for me (because I am used to varying paint with the handle) but this typically costs only a small amount more, so why not go for it?

• Thanks 1

Another vote for the AS186. Mine doesn't have a tank and never found that an issue though do have a long hose which goes a way to smooth out the flow. A hose is an item you'll need to budget for along with a suitable respirator.

As for airbrush  I'd suggest something like this which comes with two sizes of nozzle.

https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Harder-Steenbeck-Ultra-2in1.html#SID=4   (no connection!)

Maybe at top end of budget but a recognised brand with good spares support.

Stu

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for all of the advice so far......

I have gone for a AF-186 compressor with 3L tank.  Also comes with a cheap double action airbrush, which will at least give me something to play with!

Safety wise I have looked into respirators and am going for a 3M one ( may as well have a good one), with P3 particke filter and A1 gas filter if that is sufficient?  Just waiting for the supplier to tell me whether I require either a medium or large respirator, to keep the by

lungs clear.  Sales information gives no information. If things in the future go totally tits up with a nasty form of Covid in the future - hopefully it could have an extra use!  Also got a nice sealable box from town to keep it nice and clean in.  Would it be worth putting a silica sachet in, or drill a couple of holes in the sides to avoid moisture?

Thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I bought an AS186 with big tank a few years ago and it came with two airbrushes, one side feed and the other bottom feed. I also bought an Iwata Neo at the same time.

(The only 'airbrushing' I had done before was with a zonking great spray gun to paint a car!)

So far nothing serious but the side feed brush gives pretty good results on test pieces. Bodes well for the better quality Iwata.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

If you use a respirator you will be covering most risks - especially in casual hobby use. What bothers me are folk on various videos who seem to think the sole  purpose of the "booth" is to protect the area around the job and use a nice cardboard box that bounces the paint back to the painter!

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

If you use a respirator you will be covering most risks - especially in casual hobby use. What bothers me are folk on various videos who seem to think the sole  purpose of the "booth" is to protect the area around the job and use a nice cardboard box that bounces the paint back to the painter!

Chris

Well I must admit my first thoughts were do I really need one, especially when just having a go?  But  looked at it this way.  We don't flinch if a coach costs us £35, so why not spend that on something that ultimately protects us.  Besides if you are going to try and do it properly, you may as well get the equipment needed to do the job right in the first place!   Plus the utility toilet is quite small!  

Any ideas on  sizes of medium or large respirators?  I'm tending to think Medium but?!!!!

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Premium
On 20/02/2022 at 22:59, Torbay Express said:

Just wondering what would be considered a decent starter air brush set for a novice to venture into repainting? 

Thanks in anticipation 

Worth googling "airbrush rmweb" and there are several threads and advice along the same lines and similarly about compressors.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, still alive.  Story so far...... Compressor complete with cheap double action airbrush has arrived.  I have got a good one, that I found at my parents - leave that for another day..  Face mask arrived, plus filters, but seal/gasket missing so I had to wait for another to be sent.  A few basic paints added to my trunk and sent with my 66743, along with a couple of cheap HO wagons to have a play with, but advised to start with paper - so A3 pad with 50 sheet from Home Bargains for £1.49.Got an airbrush stand and some Badger Needle Juice, thinners - acrylic and enamel, small moisture trap for the airbrush end, plus on route a airbrush cleaning jar and kit, plus set of air hose adaptors.  So I think I have about sorted the kit required to have a play. 

Oh, and I have built myself a work station that fits in the utility room toilet from the kids former high chair and baby change unit (that we never used).  £60 wasted at Mothercare until now and it's been cut to size!  Wife been nagging me to get rid of them both - Recycling or upcycling depending on your view. 

I've also made a turntable for holding work too.  (Yes it would have been easier to buy one, but it uses part of my former A level D&T metalwork project - Regrettably I broke it down a few years ago as it took too much room up in the loft - with the intention to sell the aluminium - never done it, but scrapped the steel and unfortunately took the bearings and spindle out of what I have used for the turntable.  Luckily, the spindle was about the same size as copper pipe, so I have managed to use, file and Emery paper a couple of pipe fittings to get it to work, with a round cake base secured on it to increase the turntable area - easy to change.

Will take a couple of photos of the set up if it works.......(should do).  Otherwise a trip to the tip as the wife originally intended.

• Like 2

Hopefully get to have a play later........

Excited, but following the try paper advice first - at least I know whatever I do is going in the bin before I start. 

Going to try the cheap airbrush first, to get a little experience and confidence.  Then it's cleaning up the airbrush.  Better squat up on YouTube!  (Lubrication and Cleaning)

• RMweb Gold

Airbrushes are great, the only trouble is the cleaning. Especially with acrylics, if you leave it for anything more than a few minutes, then the very fine ways get blocked. As soon as I am done, I wipe out the cup and refil it with my airbrush cleaner (30% IPA, 70% water plus dash of screenwash). I spray that through then I pull out the needle, wipe that well and wash the nozzles well in water. Once all clean, I again spray though with cleaner and then I can store it.

With enamels, I use white spirit but finish off with the ipa/water mix. 

I once decided to unscrew the tiny nozzle (there was a spanner provided to do it) but it was so fine I stripped the threads putting it back in and had to buy a new one. I don't remove it now....

Mine is a iwata neo.

Ian

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I had a play around on Sunday, just with some paper and polystyrene.  More time than Saturday.   Just using the airbrush that came with the compressor - so whilst I have bought some Railmatch paints, tried a cheap acrylic from Homebargains at 99p.  Took a bit of mixing but worked ok, with no blockages.

First goes.....

1647335189199240576519005918363.jpg