Finally scored a new Allegra ABe 8/12

MichaelE

I bought from Union Modellbahn since they used UPS Three-Day to the States. Fed-Ex would be lucky to get it out of Germany in three days.

MSL has this with sound and I would have bought from them but they dropped UPS as a shipper and switched to Fud-Ex.

This part number doesn't have sound, but I did have them add a regular decoder. I will add sound in a month or two. 

After rechecking the item after my order went through I found that I had probably bought the last one.

I just hope this one actually makes it to my doorstep this time and doesn't get sent back to Germany like the first order did with the incompetent US Postal Service.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

UPS got it to the States. Now we'll see if they can get it to my doorstep.

I watched UPS 204, a 747 land at Philadelphia with my Allegra on board. They have a web cam at the airport, and along with Airnav flight tracker I was able to track the flight to touch-down and watch it land.

Ain't technology great!

Edited by MichaelE
Addition
  • Like 1

I placed an order with MSL on the 7th. They shipped on the 10th and it was on my front porch in Mascoutah, Il. on the 15th.

No complaints at all.

While shipping was 27€, it was cheaper than a trip to Germany and much better than waiting 6-8 weeks for a US dealer to get the items in.

• Like 1

Union Modellbahn and UPS had it on my doorstep today. 60 hours after placing the order.

Those rubber interconnecting cables were a royal PITA to install but after two hours I managed to get them all installed.

Has anyone tried lighting the destination boards in the front and rear or the side boards on the coaches?

k1LMX9e.jpg

Ifg9Bj2.jpg

0iKddc6.jpg

Edited by MichaelE
  • Like 8

Interior lights are standard. Not certain which decoder they installed as I haven't programmed it yet. Still running on 03 address, but when I do I'll let you know.

Not certain about the Swiss lighting, but there is always one white tail light on when in forward, and on the opposite end in reverse. There is no lighting control other than the headlights and the interior lights and UM did not include any decoder information at all.

Edited by MichaelE
Additional info added

The decoder is a Doehler & Haas though I have no idea which one. It comes up as Version 050, though I think that might be the software revision rather than a model number as I can find no reference to this at the D&H website. I know it is a tiny thing though with not much room to fit it in.

Controls appear to be head and tail lights, cabin lighting on F1, and hi/low beam on F8. THose are the only controls I found. I was hoping I would activate the number boards, and I'm not yet convinced they do not illuminate, but I would probably need a sound decoder with the Allegra project to find out.

I ordered the Loksound 5 Micro, two 23mm speakers and the Lokprogrammer this morning. The shop is going to program the decoder with the Allegra file, but I'll make use of the programmer with a much improved sound and operational file for the Br.232 Ludmilla, and fix the lights in my control car on the ÖBB push-pull CityShuttle.

• 3 weeks later...

Decoder and speakers installed without trouble and it sounds pretty good. There is some irregularity with the way the traction motors sound on the recording, but there's nothing I can do about that. 

The speakers are very loud and the sound is crisp- especially the station announcements. I also added two more announcements with the help of the Lokprogrammer.

I'm going to have to get one of these 23mm speakers for my Br.232 Ludmilla.

• Like 1