SECR Maunsell D1 Class Locomotive

Oliver Rails

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Oldddudders said:

Baffling. Getting the shape and proportions right is a task I would see as difficult. Getting livery details right is simply about basic research, which I see as far more straightforward.

Especially as there is good reference sources and drawings for the livery / lettering details available. 

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Especially as there is good reference sources and drawings for the livery / lettering details available. 

And not a few helpful organisations and knowledgeable individuals who will cheerfully add value. Some manufacturers see that value and grasp it.

• Agree 6

41 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

.......... and they appear to have gone out of their way to match physical cab, frame, chimney etc. differences to individual locos - but to WHICH individual locos ? : I hope they're to the locos as offered, but are the detail combinations any more reliable than the liveries ?

[ I wasn't aware of cab & frame differences until yesterday ..... SOMEONE on the team does seem to be doing good research to suss them out.]

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, chris45lsw said:

Also from Spring 1952 the cab lining on BR lined black locos was changed.  Previously it was 'continuous' as on 31741 but from 1952 it was 'cut' where the footplating intruded into the cab side.  So 'continuous' lining is incorrect for the late crest engine, 31246.

Chris KT 

Is this true - or was it simply difference between Ashford and Eastleigh repainting styles?

I think I'll wait until the production models arrive. If that livery sample of Olive green is perpetrated I won't be splashing out. It seems you are using the same awful shade as on the D. Why, in this day and age, can't manufacturers get the colours right is beyond me.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Glenn

Not wishing to go 'off topic' but just for info...

The U Class was consistently in the Top 50 of what was The Annual 00 Wishlist Poll and became consistently the most-wanted SR loco from 2015.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

... and seven years later, still no sign of the things.

I did email Bachmann a couple of years ago about making a model of the U Class: 50 built, 4 preserved, almost as widespread as the N Class in their working lives. I got a polite 'we'll consider it' reply.

Glenn

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

how would you choose to represent a 'typical' U-Boat ?

With just the periscope sticking out of the water. (I'll get my coat.)

Edited by Budgie
tpyo
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, mattingleycustom said:

... and seven years later, still no sign of the things.

I did email Bachmann a couple of years ago about making a model of the U Class: 50 built, 4 preserved, almost as widespread as the N Class in their working lives. I got a polite 'we'll consider it' reply.

Glenn

The thing with the U Class is that there are dimensional differences between the various batches that would require a large tooling suite or a very specific choice of sub-class, occasioning the usual cries of "they have done the wrong version for me".

By contrast, the N came in RHD or LHD with two (only slightly) different tender bodies, both straightforward to tool up for, so its not surprising which SR mogul Bachmann chose to make.

In any event, until they discovered EMUs and cute pre-grouping preserved LBSCR/SECR locos, Bachmann seemed largely indifferent to anything Southern, which remains by far the smallest presence of any of the Big Four within their range.

Maybe your letter might have been better addressed elsewhere?

John

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

...... the N came .... with two (only slightly) different tender bodies, ........

The tenders were completely different, in fact - bodies AND chassis .......... the 3500 gallon tender's chassis was much the same as the earlier Wainwright version - apart from which this conversation's getting :offtopic: !

3 hours ago, Willie Whizz said:

Is anyone actually telling them while there still might be time, rather than just grumbling on here, though?

(And yes, I do appreciate they might not want to hear it ...).

The livery issues with the D were raised, promises were made that colours would be correct, yet they came out in the horrid green we see on these samples. So although I've emailed Rails I don't think they will take any notice.

• Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, truffy said:

Ummm, nope:

image.png.c39d9632e5352d2273363e2fc89dca37.png

And, although I'm in Switzerland, so tax would be deducted at RoS's end, I'm not logged into my account. Spooky!

£166.63 + 20% = £199.956

The UK VAT has been taken off, but your local taxes have not been added.

9 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

they appear to have gone out of their way to match physical cab, frame, chimney etc.

Was that the extent of the detail differences? I have one of the PDK D1 kits in store, and my plan had been to start my research when it came time to build that.

Regardless of the livery errors, the tooling looks pretty darn good, most locos I procure end up getting a repaint + renumber/livery anyways  (especially plain black as it's simple!). Appreciate that isn't the case for everyone and livery errors are a very understandable frustration.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Jack P said:

Was that the extent of the detail differences? .......

NOPE ! ......... Dapol/Rails list a number of items they've included on different models so those features need to be double-checked to start with.

They make no mention of different buffers though I think they're fitting two types : The original Ds either had small parallel or small taper buffers .... these got mixed over time ( on both Ds & D1s ) and large-headed stepped - Maunsell standard - buffers appeared on many locos later ( POSSIBLY only on the front ).

Tenders seem to have been swapped almost at random between and among the D1s and E1s so - apart from mis-matched buffers - there's often a difference in the running plate depth between loco and tender.

That enough of a minefield for you ? - I can't think of anything else at present !

15 hours ago, Forester said:

Is this true - or was it simply difference between Ashford and Eastleigh repainting styles?

No, it applied at Eastleigh as well - ie lined black locos like H15 & N15X.  But (somewhat illogical?) the rule does not seem to have been applied to green engines, eg 'King Arthur'.

Chris KT

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

The UK VAT has been taken off

That's not what it states though, is it? The screengrab states tax inc. So, error somewhere.

Anyway, back to bitchin' about the livery errors...

Edited by truffy
(that last comment meant tongue-in-cheek)

17 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

I have ordered a black D-1 31741 with an early crest to go with my other SECR 4-4-0s. Dapol cannot mess up the black livery and I spent my childhood in Orpington in cycling lion days where the D-1s used to run.

P1030047.JPG

Unfortunately they may mess up, as the livery samples show one of the 'cycling lions' facing the wrong direction. They have them both facing left, the same issue as with the 'D' early BR. Dapol and Rails were alerted about the D early BR tender motif error, but production had been completed and they were unwilling to correct. The running plate lining was also sensitive to handling and I had to add a satin varnish coat.

Edited by rembrow
Clarification
  • Informative/Useful 1

I cannot see any running plate lining on the British Railways versions in the advertisement or any red, black and red boiler bands which the prototype had.  

The remaining lining should be grey, cream and red although it seems to be white and red in the advertisement.

I wonder if Dapol will amend the lining before it appears in production.