SECR Maunsell D1 Class Locomotive

Oliver Rails

4 hours ago, Venator said:

I'd love to be wrong but I'd be very surprised if they do. The H seems very low down on Hornby's priority list given the BR early R3731 and Southern Sunshine R3763 are both due for release in Autumn 2023! Presumably if another manufacturer announced a H they'd be released tomorrow..........

Anyway back on topic, very excited about a D1. Does anyone think if it sells well Dapol and Rails might make a couple of adjustments and release an E1? They were broadly the same except the Ds having slightly bigger driving wheels and the E1s had fluted conrods.

A few years back, there was a rumour that someone was working on a D and E class. Which was assumed to be Hornby at the time.

Who knows? As the 4 classes share a fair amount in common then "maybe" Rails have a program for example:

D class year 1

D1 class year 2

E class year 3 (don't forget 516 is being built or will be built as a replica on the Bluebell).

E1 class year 4

We would only then be missing the L and L1 that share very little with the above. (years 5 and 6???).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Venator said:

..... D1. ...... a couple of adjustments and release an E1? They were broadly the same except the Ds having slightly bigger driving wheels and the E1s had fluted COUPLING rods.

.... not to mention a 6'' difference in coupled wheelbase together with a 3'' reduction in rear overhang and, of course, differently positioned splashers and cab to suit ............ and the running plate depth difference I mentioned a few posts back.

Edited by Wickham Green too
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Indeed a common misconception that just because one engine might look slightly similar to another it must be able to mass produce one from another.

For D1 / E1 it could be N / U etc. in realty there is very little commonality from the point  of view of producing tooling for a model. 

(Unless of course we go with little research and produce a model that is a D1 on one side and and an E1 on the other... ) ;) 

• Funny 4

6 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

....Unless of course we go with little research and produce a model that is a D1 on one side and and an E1 on the other... 

Hmmmm ..... with a 36mm coupled wheelbase one side and 38mm the other you'd have no problem going round the tightest of toy train curves - in one direction:mosking:

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

On 04/03/2022 at 09:09, wainwright1 said:

Waiting for Hornby to do a grey and possibly simplified and/or unlined green H class.

Ray

Would be the same for a Rails D Class.

And Hattons P Class.

22 hours ago, Venator said:

Does anyone think if it sells well Dapol and Rails might make a couple of adjustments and release an E1? They were broadly the same except the Ds having slightly bigger driving wheels and the E1s had fluted conrods.

The E/E1 had a six inch longer wheelbase as well.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
spelling

I do wonder how many of us in 1:76 scale would notice many of the dimensional differences. All I was trying to say is an E1 isn't a million miles away from a D1, whilst yes of course there are some differences like the cab and splasher positions. But then I'm the sort of person that didn't really care about Heljan's 33 having a slightly incorrect roof angle, or the Hornby 4VEP corridor being 0.00000000001mm out of scale.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

On 04/03/2022 at 20:31, Graham_Muz said:

Indeed a common misconception that just because one engine might look slightly similar to another it must be able to mass produce one from another.

For D1 / E1 it could be N / U etc. in realty there is very little commonality from the point  of view of producing tooling for a model. 

(Unless of course we go with little research and produce a model that is a D1 on one side and and an E1 on the other... ) ;) 

Could they not use the same tenders?

Edited by JSpencer

7 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Could they not use the same tenders?

Yes an' no ! ................. a number of D & E tenders were rebuilt at the same time as the locos - though I can only assume that they were the tenders the locos arrived at Ashford with. AT SOME TIME some of the D & E tenders got swapped - possibly before rebuilding - and I think there were probably swaps later in life ........... so there were eventually Ds with D tenders, Ds with E tenders, Es with D tenders , Es with E tenders, D1s with D1 tenders, D1s with E1 tenders, E1s with D1 tenders and  E1s with E1 tenders.

So, yes they could use the same tenders if prototypes were chosen carefully. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 22/02/2022 at 16:54, mattingleycustom said:

Couldn't agree more, where is that U Class?, there were 50 of the things after all.

Glenn

Can't announce that yet as I haven't just finished my U and U1 DJH lumps. Tell me when you would like the RTR U and I'll get back to my soldering iron!!!!! :)

P

• Funny 3

There have been some criticisms of the livery of the Southern versions.  The BR cycling lion version looks basically ok but the publicity shot goes not show any lining on the footplate or the boiler bands and the cycling lion may be facing the wrong way on the right hand side. These are basic points that should be correct when I am paying nearly £200.

The post war Hornby 0 gauge clockwork locomotives did not look like the prototype locomotives but at least Hornby got the livery right.  If Hornby could do it in the 1950s Dapol should be able to do it now.

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Serious ask. For someone that just wants a loco to look half decent from 3', is this going to be a good un? It looks pretty good to me but I never knowingly saw one.

Thank you.

Phil

12 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

There have been some criticisms of the livery of the Southern versions.  The BR cycling lion version looks basically ok but the publicity shot goes not show any lining on the footplate or the boiler bands and the cycling lion may be facing the wrong way on the right hand side. These are basic points that should be correct when I am paying nearly £200.

The post war Hornby 0 gauge clockwork locomotives did not look like the prototype locomotives but at least Hornby got the livery right.  If Hornby could do it in the 1950s Dapol should be able to do it now.

I think you have your answer - if you have never seen one and hadn't been told the above, you wouldn't know and could live in ignorant bliss that is it a reasonable example of the D1.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Can't announce that yet as I haven't just finished my U and U1 DJH lumps. Tell me when you would like the RTR U and I'll get back to my soldering iron!!!!! :)

P

Right away. I need at least 2 of them!

On 06/03/2022 at 02:20, Venator said:

I do wonder how many of us in 1:76 scale would notice many of the dimensional differences. All I was trying to say is an E1 isn't a million miles away from a D1, whilst yes of course there are some differences like the cab and splasher positions. But then I'm the sort of person that didn't really care about Heljan's 33 having a slightly incorrect roof angle, or the Hornby 4VEP corridor being 0.00000000001mm out of scale.

I totally understand this logic. I'm not going to notice something being 0.001mm Out of scale from any reasonable difference, or even up close. Without my digital verniers I'm not going to know. 

I do think, however that I would notice the difference between an entirely different class of loco, and another. I agree that the E1, D1 (and even the L1), all look pretty similar. But there are differences! Plus, the differences between the D and the E are far more noticeable. Anyways, I'm rambling. What i'm really saying is that I would be pretty thrilled if the next cab off the rank was the E/E1!

18 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

P

Soon please, maybe even mid-year announcements?

Chop chop! ;)

• Agree 2

It is a great time to be SE&CR / eastern section of the Southern modeller. I have been surprised over the years a U Class hasn't been done, likewise the N tooling is very old and is crying out to be redone. Whether someone would be really ambitious and take on the N1 / U1 will be interesting to see.

• Like 2

On 06/03/2022 at 14:18, Mallard60022 said:

P

I have two U's: one is still the full kit of parts in the DJH box, the other a non-runner "in need of restoration", or it will go in a skip!

Seriously(ish), would love to see both the U and U1 produced RTR, but the manufacturers are deep into producing one-off diesel models right now, well anything one-off (LNER W1 for instance).

Maybe I should just sell the whole lot, relax and resume my drinking habit ... hmm, tempting!

Love the D1 but beyond the obvious livery errors, looking at the photos are the drivers undersized?

Glenn

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, mattingleycustom said:

I have two U's: one is still the full kit of parts in the DJH box, the other a non-runner "in need of restoration", or it will go in a skip!

Seriously(ish), would love to see both the U and U1 produced RTR, but the manufacturers are deep into producing one-off diesel models right now, well anything one-off (LNER W1 for instance).

Maybe I should just sell the whole lot, relax and resume my drinking habit ... hmm, tempting!

Love the D1 but beyond the obvious livery errors, looking at the photos are the drivers undersized?

Glenn

For the U class, the argument of "detailed variations between class members" that would have been a show stopper in the past, don't really apply these days I feel. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

For the U class, the argument of "detailed variations between class members" that would have been a show stopper in the past, don't really apply these days I feel. 

More likely beneficial for more variation batches that could be produced.

Ray

• Agree 1