Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

• RMweb Premium

Look forward to seeing these at MRS. I assume the flange squeal sensor is based on rotation of the bogie assembly. A really 2022 touch. Superb price too. 

Can anyone convince me they were regular visitors to either the far north line or west highland line during 1960's-1980's?

The RTC livery will be a top seller when that comes out.

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

I see the reinforced drivers window on 31432 is being modelled , will this be picked out in silver as per the prototype @Accurascale Fran?

Let me check that one with Gareth for you! 

7 minutes ago, PeteScR said:

No mention in the spec this time of P4/EM compatibility. Will drop in wheel sets be available as per the Deltic project Fran?

Pete

Sorry Pete, we missed that off the spec. Yes, this will be as per Deltic. 

6 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Was supposed to be cutting my model railway spending but you haven't helped! Hopefully I can pay in installments like last time to enable me to pay it off before delivery therefore avoiding credit card use. 

Thank you though never thought I would be so excited to see a new class 31 being announced! 

Yes Mark, we still do deposits. Just email us with what you are looking for and we will get it set up for you.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2

Looks to be a wonderful model.

I will probably pass on this. Never had much attraction for me; low powered and pig ugly.

BUT impressive lifespan and sphere of operation. VERY good choice for AS, and looks a VERY impressive model in terms of detail and variations (and if I do get one it will be because it is an excellent piece of model engineering...)

Amazed that AS will be producing this all new, high detailed model for BELOW the current RRP of the Hornby 31 (which is long paid off in terms of tooling...)

All good things from the team in the Emerald Isle. :-)

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Interesting especially regarding speculation Accurascale or Bachmann would pick off the Class 31… 

Another reduction in Hornby’s relevance to Diesel Electric models of the British Rail era. Wonder if someone will pick off the Hornby class 60 and 08/09?

For me personally it my favourite class. However, I’ve a large fleet of Hornby super detailed 31s and still quite a few Lima 31s.

Not sure if in the current economic circumstances if can afford to start replacing them with his new model.… although the BR Mainline,  Dutch and refurb 31/4 in BR Blue are very tempting. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Br60066 said:

Off topic but I wouldn't mind the matching class 60 by Accurascale.......

Ok. So hear me out here:
Class 37, 55 are EE (with Mirrlees in a couple of 37/9s)
Class 31 is EE
Class 30 is Mirrlees
Class 60 is Mirrlees

I'd say it's on the drawing board under the '6 degrees' law of model speculation.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

10 minutes ago, E100 said:

Look forward to seeing these at MRS. I assume the flange squeal sensor is based on rotation of the bogie assembly. A really 2022 touch. Superb price too. 

Can anyone convince me they were regular visitors to either the far north line or west highland line during 1960's-1980's?

The RTC livery will be a top seller when that comes out.

I have seen a photograph of a green skinhead on Glenfinnan viaduct if that helps. I too have the same problem as I model the Mallaig extension in the early 80s. I can feel a splinter project coming on. Nice little Norfolk freight terminal I think. I’ve been daydreaming about it for years. Well this has just upped the game from daydreaming to planning.

My poor wallet.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

1667793899_31Lineupresize.jpg.1f3fce70daa9e0a3237a15d0d42a8840.jpg

Hi everyone,

Now that our Irish Metrovick is delivered, the Deltic is very nearly finished production, the 92 is underway and with both the 37 and Manor now making great strides, it's time to unveil our next locomotive project ahead of Model Rail Scotland this weekend.

Introducing what may be our most extensive tooling suite yet, the Brush Type 2/Class 30 and 31.

Developed from detailed surveys of numerous examples of the real thing, as well as a 3D scan and an extensive range of works drawings, this model aims to be the definitive representation model of the classic BR mixed traffic design and covers almost every detail variant that existed throughout their 65-year life. This model is now fully tooled up with several working samples now in our possession for evaluation and testing.

1281390668_313resize.jpg.55442f01755a92d20aa0a304d73cae48.jpg

Our modular tooling can be adapted to represent nearly all variations of this long-lived class from their as-built appearance right through to the present day. For the discerningly detail minded, this includes three different styles of exhaust port (Mirrlees ‘pilot scheme’ or production and EE), with or without roof fan grille, original/plated boiler port and water filler, additional roof panel for the 17 locos modified in their early days with uprated 1,600hp engines, different NRN roof antenna for both main cab roof styles, as-built ‘Toffee Apple', production and refurbished bodysides, with water filler steps, plated steps and reskinned steps and standard or vertical ‘one piece’ radiator grilles.

The 61 locomotives provided with trip cock gear for working on London Underground routes are also covered, while the Whitaker-style tablet catchers for use on High Dyke iron ore branch in Lincolnshire have also been moulded. The cab fronts feature a myriad of different options with disc and headcode box versions, different nose door and handrail configurations, ‘offset’ and centrally mounted sealed beam headlights, LED-style tail lights, toughened driver’s cab windows and two different ETH jumper locations. The underframe and bogies are highly detailed with numerous separately-applied parts, while the battery boxes also come in original and modified condition, the latter including the extra latches to reduce the likelihood of the doors opening while running.

207350906_311resize.jpg.ca14faf538554b12aae4b56bb1699aba.jpg

The specification continues our ambition to lead the hobby. As well as our standard and well regarded traction, light and sound package, our Class 31 introduces working radiator fans – driven from a separate motor – and separately switched tail lights, allowing not just the either end to be illuminated as required, but also individual tail lights or both depending on era.

Utilising our standard specification of ESU PowerBank capacitors for smooth uninterrupted running, ESU Loksound 5 decoder with bespoke DCC sound package by Jamie Goodman with twin speaker set up, including ‘AccuraThrash’ bass reflex speaker it promises to catch the characterful thrash of the real locomotives. It will also include a wheel flange sensor, automatically playing flange squeal on sound fitted locomotives as they hit curved track for extra realism on factory fitted DCC sound models.

1580414740_ImagefromiOS(89).jpg.aaf7bad4a863470b5aa05228c789908c.jpg

Initial engineering prototype samples arrived with our production teams in mid-January, with models and their component parts assessed for fit, finesse, and finish. Improvements have been identified in areas such as the roof fan grille and other areas, but overall the models are shaping up as accurate representations of the venerable Brush Type 2s, capturing their characterful quirks such as bodyside curve, plethora of grilles and distinctive cab shape.

A total of ten running numbers covering a wide period of operation of these stalwarts make up the first release, with a DC/DCC ready price of just £169.99 DC/DCC ready, and £259.99 DCC sound fitted, once again demonstrating our commitment to offering the very best quality, realistic models at realistic prices for the modeller. Pre-production samples will be available to view at the Accurascale stand at the forthcoming Model Rail Scotland (stand B44) and London Festival of Model Railway shows.

451007612_Glasgowlaunch31s.jpg.23ff3fe0990aa84b522e3e8d35ec9501.jpg

Delivery is expected in Q2 2023, with pre-ordering available via our network of local stockists and direct via their website. Click here to browse and pre-order the range.  

Cheers!

Fran 

31_detail_C.jpg

Hi Fran

They look beautiful, if a Brush 2 could look beautiful.

I look forward to seeing you at Glasgow.....to give you a friendly ear bashing, no green one with small yella panel, all the class wore this livery. :ireful: I want one NOW!!!!!!!:ireful:

Still supposed not to be speaking to you as you still haven't announced a shunting horse.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, richierich said:

Interesting especially regarding speculation Accurascale or Bachmann would pick off the Class 31… 

Another reduction in Hornby’s relevance to Diesel Electric models of the British Rail era. Wonder if someone will pick off the Hornby class 60 and 08/09?

For me personally it my favourite class. However, I’ve a large fleet of Hornby super detailed 31s and still quite a few Lima 31s.

Not sure if in the current economic circumstances if can afford to start replacing them with his new model.… although the BR Mainline,  Dutch and refurb 31/4 in BR Blue are very tempting. 

We understand that one Rich. What we do say is that it's not always about fleet replacement, but about your next Class 31. So, obviously we would love that to be one of ours. 

4 minutes ago, 69843 said:

Ok. So hear me out here:
Class 37, 55 are EE (with Mirrlees in a couple of 37/9s)
Class 31 is EE
Class 30 is Mirrlees
Class 60 is Mirrlees

I'd say it's on the drawing board under the '6 degrees' law of model speculation.

Well, another way you could look at it is...

Deltic - EE

Class 92 - Brush

Class 37 - EE

Class 31 - Brush....

Of course, we have Swindon love in there too with the Manor!

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

I have seen a photograph of a green skinhead on Glenfinnan viaduct if that helps. I too have the same problem as I model the Mallaig extension in the early 80s. I can feel a splinter project coming on. Nice little Norfolk freight terminal I think. I’ve been daydreaming about it for years. Well this has just upped the game from daydreaming to planning.

My poor wallet.

Wasn’t D5511 at Inverness for trials early on? 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, richierich said:

Will there be EM and P4 drop in wheelsets available, like on the Class 37?

There sure will! 

2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Fran

They look beautiful, if a Brush 2 could look beautiful.

I look forward to seeing you at Glasgow.....to give you a friendly ear bashing, no green one with small yella panel, all the class wore this livery. :ireful: I want one NOW!!!!!!!:ireful:

Still supposed not to be speaking to you as you still haven't announced a shunting horse.

Look forward to it, Clive! It; been too long!

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

My poor wallet.

I too feel a splinter project coming on now , will also be a good excuse to buy some Cavalex 56s

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Br60066 said:

Of topic but I wouldn't mind the matching class 60 by Accurascale.......

Hmmm, would go well with our HAAs, biomass IIAs and well, we sorta have a chassis block with our 92....

Ahem, think we've caused enough trouble today, back to work and less daydreaming! 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Well done, an excellent announcement. I must admit I had you pencilled in for a Class 50 next but this will do nicely. Will certainly have a Regional Railways liveried one and maybe one or two others. The next few weeks will now be spent researching photos of them!

Edited by scissors
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

We understand that one Rich. What we do say is that it's not always about fleet replacement, but about your next Class 31. So, obviously we would love that to be one of ours. 

Well, another way you could look at it is...

Deltic - EE

Class 92 - Brush

Class 37 - EE

Class 31 - Brush....

Of course, we have Swindon love in there too with the Manor!

Cheers!

Fran 

... and several Diesel Hydraulics were also Swindon built too!!!

I am so pleased the flange squeal is to be linked to curves for automatic sounding - always thought this was overdue by someone... great to see it being included now - so, well done Accurascale for doing so.

Will the sound equipped options/prices be added soon?

Cheers,

Ixion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1