2mm Scale Association Diamond Jubilee (+2) Expo - 18 & 19 June 2022

2mm Andy

The 2mm Scale Association are pleased to announce that their Diamond Jubilee Expo will be held on Saturday 18th and Sunday 19th June 2022 at the Derby Conference Centre.

Originally planned to be held in 2020 but delayed due to the Covid-19 pandemic, this is a two day event celebrating sixty plus years of 2mm scale modelling. The venue is the Grade II listed Derby Conference Centre, built in the 1930s as the LMS School of Transport.

Dates & Times

Saturday 18th June 2022  10.00 – 5.00pm

Sunday 19th June 2022 10.00 – 3.30pm

(last entry 1 hour before closing)

Venue

Derby Conference Centre

London Road

Derby

DE24 8UX

The venue is wheelchair-accessible. There are 300 free car park spaces (including 14 electric vehicle charging points) at the venue, which is situated approx. 1.5 miles from Derby Railway Station on the main A6 road. Walking time from the station is approx. 25 mins or there are regular buses from the town centre and outside the railway station. There is also a taxi rank at the railway station. Nearest airport is East Midlands Airport which is about 12 miles away.

PLEASE NOTE - there is a race event on the morning of Sunday 19th June for which a number of local roads will be closed. Those in the vicinity of the venue appear to be due to re-open by approx. 10:45am but you are advised to check details on the event website here to see how your journey might be affected; https://www.runforall.com/events/half-marathon/ramathon/

Admission 

2mm Scale Association members £5

Non-members £8

Layouts (all 2mm Finescale) - list correct to 15.02.2022

British Oak – West Riding Industrial - Mark Fielder

Copenhagen Fields – LNER Mainline just north of Kings Cross - The Model Railway Club

Coal Road – BR North Eastern Region - Rod McCall

Evercreech Junction – Somerset and Dorset in the 1950s - Alan Smith & Keith Gloster

Fence Houses – BR in the Durham coalfield - Bob Jones and team

Freshwater - Isle of Wight branch line terminus - Ian Morgan

Ivybridge – GW Mainline in South Devon - John Aldrick

Llangerisech – GW terminus in North Wales - Nigel Ashton

Mortonhampstead – GWR Dartmoor branchline terminus - Pete Warren

St Ruth – Cornish terminus based on Penzance - The Midlands Area Group

Wadebridge & Padstow - The Southern Railway in North Cornwall - John Greenwood

plus a display of the Diamond Jubilee Layout Challenge entries 

Rydes Vale layout display

Traders (updated 27/05/2022)

2mm Central Shop

Bring and Buy stand (Saturday only)

N Brass Loco

Hobby Holidays

2mm Roadshow (promotional kits and books) and demonstrations

N Gauge Society display stand

Refreshments including meals, etc. available

Edited by 2mm Andy
updated details
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

At the request of John Aldrick, the 2mm Scale Association Events Officer, I have posted details above for the forthcoming Diamond Jubilee Expo event.

I will add further details as they become available. If anyone has any questions, they can direct them to John at events@2mm.org.uk or post them here and I'll endeavour to get answers to them.

regards,

Andy

2 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Could we post this in the exhibitions area, we are rather preaching to the converted in the 2mm area. Let's try and spread the word to the wider hobby,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Yes, I have just created a thread in the exhibitions area for that reason.

Andy

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/02/2022 at 22:15, 2mm Andy said:

The 2mm Scale Association are pleased to announce that their Diamond Jubilee Expo will be held on Saturday 18th and Sunday 19th June 2022 at the Derby Conference Centre.

Originally planned to be held in 2020 but delayed due to the Covid-19 pandemic, this is a two day event celebrating sixty plus years of 2mm scale modelling. The venue is the Grade II listed Derby Conference Centre, built in the 1930s as the LMS School of Transport.

Dates & Times

Saturday 18th June 2022  10.00 – 5.00pm

Sunday 19th June 2022 10.00 – 4.00pm

(last entry 1 hour before closing)

Venue

Derby Conference Centre

London Road

Derby

DE24 8UX

There is free on-site parking at the venue, which is situated approx. 1.5 miles from Derby Railway Station on the main A6 road. Walking time from the station is approx. 25 mins or there are regular buses from the town centre and outside the railway station. There is also a taxi rank at the railway station. Nearest airport is East Midlands Airport which is about 12 miles away.

Admission 

2mm Scale Association members £5

Non-members £8

Layouts (all 2mm Finescale) - list correct to 15.02.2022

British Oak – West Riding Industrial - Mark Fielder

Copenhagen Fields – LNER Mainline just north of Kings Cross - The Model Railway Club

Coal Road – BR North Eastern Region - Rod McCall

Evercreech Junction – Somerset and Dorset in the 1950s - Alan Smith

Fence Houses – BR in the Durham coalfield - Bob Jones and team

Ivybridge – GW Mainline in South Devon - John Aldrick

Llangerisech – GW terminus in North Wales - Nigel Ashton

Mortonhampstead – GWR Dartmoor branchline terminus - Pete Warren

St Ruth – Cornish terminus based on Penzance - The Midlands Area Group

Wadebridge & Padstow - The Southern Railway in North Cornwall - John Greenwood

plus Diamond Jubilee Challenge Layouts

Traders

to be advised (15.02.2022)

Refreshments available

Hi Andy,

Do we have a list of Traders that will be present?
Will the 2mm shops be there in some capacity? 
Will there be a bring and buy? 

Many thanks,

Adam

1 hour ago, A. Bastow said:

Hi Andy,

Do we have a list of Traders that will be present?
Will the 2mm shops be there in some capacity? 
Will there be a bring and buy? 

Many thanks,

Adam

Hi Adam,

I had hoped to ask John that question at our area group meeting last week, but he wasn't able to attend. I will hopefully be seeing him on Monday so will ask for the information on traders then, but I understand (from the info on the 2mm website) that the 2mm Central Shop will be attending as well as N Brass Loco. I don't know about a 'bring and buy' - sorry.

regards,

Andy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Sithlord75 said:

I'd think a "gloat box exchange" may be a good idea.  I may need an extra bag....

And some kind soul may bring some unwanted grain hopper underframe etches . . .

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hoping to come along to this, even if just to admire people’s work. I like British Oak. Missed the 2mm scale at the Nottingham show in recent years. Still don’t know if it’s for me!

Dava

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

As I have failed to get my Diamond Jubilee Challenge layout up and running, I will be bringing the layout I built for the Golden Jubilee Challenge, which is almost complete now.

28 minutes ago, Ian Morgan said:

As I have failed to get my Diamond Jubilee Challenge layout up and running, I will be bringing the layout I built for the Golden Jubilee Challenge, which is almost complete now.

You'll be able to the DJLC one for the Platinum then Ian!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

My challenge layout was put on hiatus when Covid hit, but I've been trying to snatch bits of time to work on it during the last couple of months.

It will be far from finished scenically, but if I get it to a state where things will run reliably, I will count that as a success and a major confidence boost. Who knows - it might even nudge me towards building the layout I've been finding excuses no to start for 10 years? I'm certainly learning a lot, which was a major reason for me entering the competition in the first place.

I will bring it along whatever state it is in.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I will take my etched kits with me so if anyone wants anything from me they can collect on the day. If you send me prior notice of wants I can have them ready packaged.

Nigel Hunt

• Like 1

Almost finished the electronic stuff for mine - hopefully it all still works with the "right" version rather than the test version.   Still a bit of cosmetic stuff to do and, assuming the sodden weather improves for next weekend, then it'll be "finished" as such.

I'm going to bring the surplus Australian wagon bodies and etches - so some tar wagons, LNER vans, LMS Beer Vans and some Mink Ds.  We have plans for a complete chassis for the Minks but it hasn't progressed off the to do list.  As this is actual 2mm not N, the Dapol etch won't fit.  @John Brenchley has managed to cobble some bits and pieces together to make a chassis so it's do able.  The tar wagons, LNER van and LMS Beer van all come with transfers - a selection available for the tar wagons.

On 17/03/2022 at 12:30, 2mm Andy said:

Hi Adam,

... I don't know about a 'bring and buy' - sorry.

regards,

Andy

Just to update this, it has been confirmed that there will be a 'Bring and Buy' stand at the Derby Expo on the Saturday only. A form for selling items has been included in the latest 2mm Magazine Mailing which will land on member's doormats/inboxes early next week. 10% commission will be taken on items sold. Cash sales only.

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

You can tell there's a 2mm Association event in the offing with hot weather forecast. 

Tim

Luckily the really hot weather breaks on Friday - rain Saturday, sunny spells Sunday but cooler.

Guess which day I plan to walk from Derby station to the venue.

• RMweb Premium

On Sunday, it's the Ramathon, so walking from the station or driving to the venue might incur some diversions. The Conference Centre is on London Road, just after checkpoint 2, so I assume it will have to be approached from the southern end of Ascot Drive.

Unfortunately, the Travelodge that the Basingstoke crew are booked into is on the other side of the route, by checkpoint 11 😟

derby-hm.png

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1