2mm Scale Association Diamond Jubilee Expo - 18 & 19 June 2022 @ Derby Conference Centre

2mm Andy

The 2mm Scale Association are pleased to announce that their Diamond Jubilee Expo will be held on Saturday 18th and Sunday 19th June 2022 at the Derby Conference Centre.

Originally planned to be held in 2020 but delayed due to the Covid-19 pandemic, this is a two day event celebrating sixty plus years of 2mm scale modelling. The venue is the Grade II listed Derby Conference Centre, built in the 1930s as the LMS School of Transport.

Dates & Times

Saturday 18th June 2022  10.00 – 5.00pm

Sunday 19th June 2022 10.00 – 3.30pm

(last entry 1 hour before closing)

Venue

Derby Conference Centre

London Road

Derby

DE24 8UX

There is free on-site parking at the venue, which is situated approx. 1.5 miles from Derby Railway Station on the main A6 road. Walking time from the station is approx. 25 mins or there are regular buses from the town centre and outside the railway station. There is also a taxi rank at the railway station. Nearest airport is East Midlands Airport which is about 12 miles away.

The venue is fully accessible to wheelchairs.

PLEASE NOTE - there is a race event on the morning of Sunday 19th June for which a number of local roads will be closed. Those in the vicinity of the venue appear to be due to re-open by approx. 10:45am but you are advised to check details on the event website here to see how your journey might be affected; https://www.runforall.com/events/half-marathon/ramathon/

Admission 

2mm Scale Association members £5

Non-members £8

Layouts (all 2mm Finescale) - list correct to 15.02.2022;

British Oak – West Riding Industrial - Mark Fielder

Copenhagen Fields – LNER Mainline just north of Kings Cross - The Model Railway Club

Coal Road – BR North Eastern Region - Rod McCall

Evercreech Junction – Somerset and Dorset in the 1950s - Alan Smith

Fence Houses – BR in the Durham coalfield - Bob Jones and team

Freshwater - Isle of Wight branch line terminus - Ian Morgan

Ivybridge – GW Mainline in South Devon - John Aldrick

Llangerisech – GW terminus in North Wales - Nigel Ashton

Mortonhampstead – GWR Dartmoor branchline terminus - Pete Warren

St Ruth – Cornish terminus based on Penzance - The Midlands Area Group

Wadebridge & Padstow - The Southern Railway in North Cornwall - John Greenwood

plus a display of the Diamond Jubilee Layout Challenge entries.

Rydes Vale layout display

Traders;

2mm Central Shop

N Brass Loco

Hobby Holidays

2mm Roadshow

N Gauge Society display stand

Bring and Buy stand (Saturday only)

Refreshments (including meals) available

post updated 16-06-2022 with details of race event road closures on Sunday morning.

Edited by 2mm Andy
updated details
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Cake Meister primed.

Regards

Ian

11 hours ago, Sithlord75 said:

Flights sorted, accommodation sorted, transport sorted.  How many days until show time?  Better get the layout sorted!!!  (yes, I'm bringing one from Australia...)

Cake Meister primed.

Regards

Ian

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just over a week to go. Our Australian exhibitor has now landed in the country, and I'm sure that some of the other exhibitors are busy cleaning wheels and polishing rails ready for next weekend.

More details (and pictures of some of the exhibits) are on the dedicated page within the 2mm Scale Association website;

http://www.2mm.org.uk/DJubilee/index.html

Andy 

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, 2mm Andy said:

Just over a week to go. Our Australian exhibitor has now landed in the country, and I'm sure that some of the other

Andy 

He certainly has. We had a very enjoyable day down here in Wilts and Somerset.

Jerry

CA1C815F-5ECE-4DFE-B6BD-F6F5A1C57CDD.thumb.jpeg.759511cf3247a50010abfb702e74b877.jpeg3E282641-4442-4DCF-BE76-476994717F3E.thumb.jpeg.2c56db861b423a34c20963b5f5827f48.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

Note there are Road Closures in Derby for a half-marathon on Sunday (most of the closures are Sunday morning, but some longer).  

https://www.runforall.com/media/3kwhjccl/2022-ramathon-road-closure-poster.pdf

(and the link within that page for an interactive map which has more details).

Road access to the Derby Conference Centre is either from the SE along London Road (Westbound remains open, even when closed Eastbound) or from the South along Ascot Drive (remains open at all times).

Entrances to the venue carpark from both London Road and Ascot Drive should be open.

- Nigel

Edited by Nigelcliffe

• RMweb Premium

I certainly enjoyed my visit today. Lots of very good modelling and lots of very good people to chat with. The venue was interesting too, with its railway heritage as a college built by the LMS. There are plenty of bits and pieces around the building worth looking at.

The show did bring home one thing that I have ad on my mind for a while regarding 2mm modelling. Very often, photographs really don't do justice to some of the exquisite work that is done in this scale. I am sure that old hands in 2mm scale will have been aware of it but it was the first time it was brought home to me.

I saw many models that looked very good blown up many times life sized in a photo on a computer screen that managed to look even better when seen at their actual size. Appreciating the sheer skill involved in the construction and painting such models is greatly emphasised when you can see just how tiny they really are.

It is the exact opposite of something like 7mm scale, where the models are often larger than how they are seen in photos.

So if anybody is undecided about going tomorrow, I would suggest that they do go, just to see lots of exceptional models with their own eyes rather than through the lens of a camera.

Tony Gee

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I had a very good visit today, great to be able to see Copenhagen Fields and other iconic layouts at such close quarters and talk with the builders. 

The Diamond Jubilee layout challengers all added fresh ideas and inspirations too.

Dava

• RMweb Gold

Great event. Thanks to John Aldwick and other members of the Association for such a well organised event.

Stayed in the DCC Friday evening as could only attend the show Saturday. Great to see a collection of inspirational modelling all under one roof and of course meet old friends and make new ones. The challenge produced some excellent varied entries - curious to see who the winner was!

Only 8 years wait until the 70 years event now… 😀

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I can only echo the comments - a great day had today and enjoyed sound fitted locos on Moretonhampstead. 

Ivybridge was a layout to watch the trains go by but the viaduct was amazing. The track behind the viewable scene was a real eye opener - a pointless system of return loops that was multilevel and allowed trains to be queued up automatically advancing towards the viewer - an inspired  solution.

As I said to Nick at N Brass time to take up knitting having seen the models on show today, I am inspired but in awe of the work done by so many, so well !

Thanks to all involved and a brilliant venue, the LMS ghosts surely enjoyed the weekend as well- despite a GWR  majority showing.

"Modern image" not forgotten with diesels at St Ruth  and the display of fine scale conversion and etches on display by Steve Nicholls- a world beyond my abilities

I enjoyed the Diamond Jubilee challenge layouts - all winners in their own way and the most inspiring of the day showing how much modelling love ca go into 60cm X 9.42 inches..

Robert       

• Like 2