Heljan 10800 for OO

AY Mod

• Moderators

MODEL RAIL SCOTLAND 2022

HELJAN UNVEILS NORTH BRITISH PROTOTYPE 10800 FOR ‘OO’

10800 front left side.JPG

To celebrate our return to the exhibition circuit at Model Rail Scotland in Glasgow this weekend we thought it was the perfect time to share our latest 'diesel dinosaur' project - North British diesel prototype 10800.

Built in Glasgow by NBL in the early-1950s, 10800 was originally ordered by the LMS as part of its pioneering investigations into main line diesel traction. It was envisaged as the equivalent of 3MT tank locomotives for lighter passenger and freight work and fitted with an 827hp Paxman diesel engine. Eventually delivered to BR in 1952 it was tested on the London Midland, Southern and (briefly) Eastern Regions. After withdrawal by BR in 1959 it was sold to Brush and used as a testbed for new traction equipment before eventually being scrapped in 1976.

Following in the footsteps of our previous OO gauge prototype diesels, such as Lion, Kestrel and DP2, 10800 will be produced in limited quantities across four versions depicting the NBL machine in post-1954 SR/LMR and final BR condition with later external modifications.

A high-quality specification includes fine etched metal parts, working marker and cab lights, 21-pin DCC interface, DCC sound provision, sprung buffers and all-wheel drive/pick-up.

Based on original NBL drawings and extensive research of this pioneering locomotive, CAD work is complete and tooling is now well underway.

Four versions will be available on general release depicting 10800 in different stages of its life, priced at £234.95 each.

#1080 BR Early Emblem Black/Silver 10800 (SR/LMR condition)

#1081 BR Early Emblem Black 10800 (SR/LMR condition) WEATHERED

#1082 BR Early Emblem Black/Silver 10800 (final BR condition)

#1083 BR Late Crest Green 10800

Delivery of this exciting addition to our range is expected in 2023. Look out for more updates soon or come and see us at Model Rail Scotland Stand B35 at the SEC in Glasgow this weekend!

Below: 10800 in mid-1950s condition with revised bonnet vents and original ladders

10800 rear right side.JPG

Below: 10800 in final BR condition with modified No2 end vents and ladders

10800 V2 rear left side.JPG

Look out for more updates soon, including some exciting announcements on all-new products, new versions of existing products and reruns of popular models that are not currently available.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I dont think I even knew this existed .  This is pre Pilot Scheme diesels ?  Seems a bit off the wall, obscure even  . Lion ,Kestrel, DP2  were famous not sure this will meet with same rapturous acclaim . 

Edited by Legend
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

MODEL RAIL SCOTLAND 2022

Heljan UNVEILS NORTH BRITISH PROTOTYPE 10800 FOR ‘OO’

Four versions will be available on general release depicting 10800 in different stages of its life, priced at £234.95 each.

That's good value for a sound fitted Loco :blush:

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, 69843 said:

Jeez. There really is an ever-shrinking list of models to be done!

How many prototype diesels (1948-1968) are left now?

How about the three Southern Railway Maunsell prototype diesel shunters ?

These had the interesting angled overhanging rear cab windows presumably to let the crew see the shunter coupling up.

Quite long lived with four liveries: 

Southern black with Maunsell lettering.

Southern black with Sunshine lettering.

BR Black with early logo.

BR green with late logo.

Maybe other variations.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Agree 6

Oh boy this was rather unexpected.  I will be ordering one as she was SR based during my modelling period.  
FYI this was the engine that infamously during her sojourn at Derby MPD had to by run up and down the yard by a pilot engine to charge the batteries enough to switch her on!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, truffy said:

@No Decorum

Another of your sigs bites the dust! ;)

Yup.

Whoopie!

This fills the last gap in the line up of diesel-electric main line prototypes.

10000 &10001.

10201, 10202, 10203.

Deltic (DP1).

Falcon.

Lion.

DP2.

Kestrel.

What a fascinating lot they were. 10800: probably the least successful of the lot. So hopelessly unreliable that it gained the nickname “The Wonder Locomotive” as in “I wonder if it will appear today.” Ten Class 16s were developed from it and were rather unreliable as well. Kestrel: a magnificent locomotive but at 125 m.p.h. it wrecked the track. Likely that convinced BR engineers that two locomotives would be needed for that power output, hence the HST. (My guesswork there.)

Whoopie again!

Now for shunters and ’leccies!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

How about the three Southern Railway Maunsell prototype diesel shunters ?

These had the interesting angled overhanging rear cab windows presumably to let the crew see the shunter coupling up.

Quite long lived with four liveries: 

Southern black with Maunsell lettering.

Yep. Along with  the Class 30 (electric) that's the only loco on my wishlist.

13 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Yup.

Whoopie!

10000 &10001.

10201, 10202, 10203.

Deltic (DP1).

Falcon.

Lion.

DP2.

Kestrel.

What a fascinating lot they were. 10800: probably the least successful of the lot. So hopelessly unreliable that it gained the nickname “The Wonder Locomotive” as in “I wonder if it will appear today.” Ten Class 16s were developed from it and were rather unreliable as well. Kestrel: a magnificent locomotive but at 125 m.p.h. it wrecked the track. Likely that convinced BR engineers that two locomotives would be needed for that power output, hence the HST. (My guesswork there.)

Whoopie again!

The loco 10800  was the classic case of lessons ignored!

You could argue 10000/1 were also similar- but they were a solid performing engines- but we still ended up with 1co co 1 monsters that were little better than  a Royal Scot.

55 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Yup.

Whoopie!

10000 &10001.

10201, 10202, 10203.

Deltic (DP1).

Falcon.

Lion.

DP2.

Kestrel.

Whoopie again!

Not for me, unfortunately.

12193052_IMG_9827small.jpg.8bdb6a4499d75c81ab736cbd82dfa81c.jpg

2099003947_IMG_9830small.jpg.a6665816d559addb82ebca4d8eaad3bb.jpg

11001 is an obvious candidate for Heljan; it was not a 'mainline locomotive', but it was intended for trip working on the mainline.

It would present no problems for Heljan, as they have experience of jackshaft drive 0-6-0s in their D9500 model.

That said, I have the Judith Edge kit for 11001, so I wouldn't be in the market for an RTR model.

John Isherwood.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Downer said:

Is there a Hawk expert out there who can put dates to the versions on offer?

I’m no expert but I’ve been able to glean the following from the text in LMS Diesel Locomotives and Railcars, RCTS. Exactly what each Heljan version will represent is not altogether clear as yet. Ref. 1083 appears to be in BR green but it seems that the locomotive did not have the late crest until it was painted in Sherwood Green after first withdrawal. I bet someone will produce a photograph to prove that wrong!

1950: delivered to BR painted black with cream numbers and small early emblem.
“Later”: received post 1956 style standard numbers with the power classification 3 above the numbers.
1957 (January): noted ex-Derby works painted green.
1959: withdrawn.
1960 (RCTS description derived from photograph): green with buffer beams and buffer shanks in red with the first style of BR emblem.
1962: new engine (Bristol-Siddeley-Maybach MD655 turbo-charged V12) and Brush alternator fitted.
1964: painted Sherwood Green at Brush works, bearing the number 10800 with “RESEARCH LOCOMOTIVE” under the number. Small yellow panels and electrification warning flashes applied. Later BR heraldic insignia.
1965: commissioned for the “Hawk Project”.
1966: trials in relation to the “Hawk Project” concluded.
1968: “Hawk Project” stopped.
1972: body scrapped.
1976: bogies scrapped.

Possibly of interest is that the locomotive was to be named Hawk but never carried the name.

RTCS says, “The alternator in this country had its rail traction origins in the ‘Hawk Project’”. So something was rescued from the ashes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I’m no expert but I’ve been able to glean the following from the text in LMS Diesel Locomotives and Railcars, RCTS. Exactly what each Heljan version will represent is not altogether clear as yet. Ref. 1083 appears to be in BR green but it seems that the locomotive did not have the late crest until it was painted in Sherwood Green after first withdrawal. I bet someone will produce a photograph to prove that wrong!

1950: delivered to BR painted black with cream numbers and small early emblem.
“Later”: received post 1956 style standard numbers with the power classification 3 above the numbers.
1957 (January): noted ex-Derby works painted green.
1959: withdrawn.
1960 (RCTS description derived from photograph): green with buffer beams and buffer shanks in red with the first style of BR emblem.
1962: new engine (Bristol-Siddeley-Maybach MD655 turbo-charged V12) and Brush alternator fitted.
1964: painted Sherwood Green at Brush works, bearing the number 10800 with “RESEARCH LOCOMOTIVE” under the number. Small yellow panels and electrification warning flashes applied. Later BR heraldic insignia.
1965: commissioned for the “Hawk Project”.
1966: trials in relation to the “Hawk Project” concluded.
1968: “Hawk Project” stopped.
1972: body scrapped.
1976: bogies scrapped.

Possibly of interest is that the locomotive was to be named Hawk but never carried the name.

RTCS says, “The alternator in this country had its rail traction origins in the ‘Hawk Project’”. So something was rescued from the ashes.

526429440_10800_26(ASDELIVEREDTOBRUSH).jpg.ba0bde24c623c80cf85f7ccab0b8fdbc.jpg

Note that this was as delivered to Brush before rebuilding; it would seem that BR undertook some degree of refurbishment, as it had previously been stored at Derby in the condition shown below.

10800_22.jpg.f780759f0cbeceade4c678938f4d52b1.jpg

10800_25.jpg.42acdafa2f37b2f3f515cf958ccae414.jpg

Copyright of all images unknown.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3