Heljan 10800 for OO

AY Mod

22 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

It's a bit of a shame, as I have confirmed with Heljan, that we will not be getting an option for 10800 in as built condition without the lower bonnet grills as per the top picture above which is how she spent most of her time on the SR up to June 1953.  After which she spend time in Brighton works and gained the additional grills. 

The large grille at the bottom appears to have been an early addition if not from new; photo of it on Camden Bank dated  7 Nov 1950 in MLI 185 features that  as does a 12 Aug 1952  from new, the smaller grille above it was added and later amended to be sat across an otherwise raised circular piece of bodywork (1961 photo). In a 1955 photo at Birmingham New Street the small grille is not visible, hidden by a headcode disc. 

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

You missed out the words 'post-war' as nobody has done, or even announced, the 1933 Armstrong-Whitworth 1-Co-1 'Universal' 800hp diesel electric - the first main line diesel loco to run in Britain.  Admittedly it had a very short life of trial running but it probably did far more miles hauling trains than DHP1 ever managed even including light engine mileage (not difficult I know)

Although there are not any RTR models of the Armstrong-Whitworth D9 diesel, JCL on here has posted some files for a 3D print of one in 4mm scale. I have one, but not completed it yet.

On 24/02/2022 at 21:43, cctransuk said:

Agreed!

What about D2999 - though I've a feeling that there may be a kit around; am I correct?

CJI.

Yes, you're right, there is. Judith Edge Kits produces a kit of D2999 with alternative parts for industrial versions. The kit would even make D9998. Below is my model of D2999.

D2999-Front.gif

Edited by Wagonmaster
Reinstating photo
  • Like 6

Another prototype no-one has mentioned yet are the Southern Railway electrics, later BR Class 70 numbered 20001-3. These lasted until the early 1970's and were even painted in Corporate Blue livery.

I am surprised it has taken Heljan so long to produce 10800. It seemed a logical follow on from their Class 15 and Class 16 produced quite a few years ago. The same chassis probably could have been used.  

The Dave Alexander white metal kit made up well, as did all his kits. If there is a sudden glut of unmade kits on a well known Internet auction site, it could be a cheaper alternative. My  version runs on two Tenshodo SPUD's, is DCC fitted and lights.

10800-Rear.gif

Edited by Wagonmaster
Reinstating photo
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

8 hours ago, Wagonmaster said:

Another prototype no-one has mentioned yet are the Southern Railway electrics,

They weren’t really ‘prototypes’, more a small and evolving series, although the first was clearly the prototype for the other two, but I know what you mean. Or, maybe you didn’t mean it quite in that sense.

• Like 2

On 24/02/2022 at 14:41, Merchant Navy said:

Third major loco announcement for OO Scale in three days. Anyone would think the manufacturers were getting ready to showcase their latest efforts at a major model railway exhibition...

We are living through strange times, with unusual choices of prototypes,  DHP1, GT3, gas turbines,  Jones Goods,  E2001,  10800, whatever next, a  Bulleid / Raworth  Southern  Electric  class 70 "Hornby"  ?

Edited by Pandora
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Wagonmaster said:

Yes, you're right, there is. Judith Edge Kits produces a kit of D2999 with alternative parts for industrial versions. The kit would even make D9998. Below is my model of D2999.

D2999-Front.gif

D9998 ? I've heard of it on occasion, but are there any photos?

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

They weren’t really ‘prototypes’, more a small and evolving series, although the first was clearly the prototype for the other two, but I know what you mean. Or, maybe you didn’t mean it quite in that sense.

Ah, probably bad wording on my part. No, not a prototype as in 'one off' locos such as Falcon, Lion, Kestrel etc. A prototype as in the 'real thing' as opposed to a model. In the same way say Bachmanns Class 47 is a model of the real thing and looks 'prototypical'. Does that make any sense? I think you know what I mean. 

I would have thought the Class 70's would have been produced by now with their long lives and numerous liveries from Southern Railway green as CC1 etc. up to Banger Blue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

D9998 ? I've heard of it on occasion, but are there any photos?

John Isherwood.

Hi John, I think I do have a photo of D9998 somewhere. I'll try and dig it out for you. If I remember correctly, it didn't carry the number and was painted orange. I believe it spent some time at Gloucester Docks.