Revolution Trains announce Class 175 'Coradia' and Class 180 'Adelante' DMUs in N & OO Gauge.

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

Hello Ben and everyone

Congratulations to RevolutioN on these announcements!

Within (what was) The Annual 00 Wishlist Poll, Class 180 has been High Polling since 2014 and Class 175 since 2018.

We wish the projects every success!

Brian (on behalf of the 00 Poll Team)

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I always rather liked the 180s on GW. Although the ride wasn't up to HST standards, their (much) quicker acceleration meant they could claw back delays better. I very much appreciated that both as a passenger and signaller!  

We used to get a diverted one through Honiton at getting on for midnight when the Western wanted to take a block on a Friday or Saturday night. Hope the sound file will have enough brake/flange squeal, they must have woken half the town.:D 

I don't really have any use for one, but I think I may need a longer display cabinet!

If this 5-car goes well commercially, there may yet be hope for a Wessex....

John

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Hi everyone,

This is yet another exciting announcement from the team at Revolution and from the positive comments already shows the strong demand for modern units. I will be looking to get the 4mm 175 versions in FNW livery to create the workings on the Furness Line. 

Cheers

Mark

• Like 2

Excellent news, looking forward to the OO one! 

Speaking of OO, you Revolution guys told me at GETS that one of the things so far preventing you from doing the 321/320 in OO is that you don't have a developed motor/drivetrain. You know where I'm going with this!... :p wishful thinking for now, but maybeeee one thing will lead to another in time.

Anyways, back to the 175 - your map is very useful. Does anyone know though- I thought the FNW franchise also ran to Birmingham New Street, but the map doesn't show the FNW colour going that far south?

All the best Revolution guys!

Edited by VXDH92
Typo
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, VXDH92 said:

Excellent news, looking forward to the OO one! 

Speaking of OO, you Revolution guys told me at GETS that one of the things so far preventing you from doing the 321/320 in OO is that you don't have a developed motor/drive chain. You know where I'm going with this!... :p wishful thinking for now, but maybeeee one thing will lead to another in time.

Anyways, back to the 175 - your map is very useful. Does anyone know though- I thought the FNW franchise also ran to Birmingham New Street, but the map doesn't show the FNW colour going that far south?

All the best Revolution guys!

Yes, there's photos of FNW 175s in BNS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, CazRail said:

Yes, there's photos of FNW 175s in BNS.

worked then there many a time on a 175 with FNW as both a guard and driver, the ‘boat train’ which departed Holyhead at 01:50 used to go via bescot to new st as it was the old loco hauled class 37 path and going that way meant it didn’t have to run round, after units took over the path was still used, the only thing was the 175 automated announcements went by mileage and as it was further that way round it used to announce you were arriving into new st between witton  and aston so the passengers would be getting up and standing by the doors a good 10 minutes before it actually got there! 

always enjoyed that run with them as you could wind them up to 100mph between crewe and Stafford (eventually!) 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 27/02/2022 at 09:29, Roy L S said:

To be honest I have enough locos and rolling stock to last me well into my dotage and then some, so I am pretty much in the same situation. I can also (as Bachmann are it seems) keep myself occupied by fitting sound to existing models, the size of the forthcoming Zimo MS500 will put smaller locos into scope, and also more diesels very easily using the 6 pin version.

Using a tiny Digitrains Speaker and an MX649 I put sound into a Farish 24 last night, it was headed for a Farish 25 but the chip is just a tad too big to allow the body back on without taking the lighting off the circuitboard, so into the 24 it went.

The MS500 should fit into the existing space for a chip on the 25, with just the cab internals removed for the speaker - so a painless fit really and no milling of the body or slicing of the circuitboard.  I also looked at a Dapol 52 and I reckon with the cab internal/lighting removed it too will fit the speaker without issue.  I also used a nano Zimo last week on an older Farish 04 and an 08, fitted easily so it seems the chip market is coming to the older models which means if Farish suddenly come up with rehashed locos with Next 18 that I already own, I won't be rushing to replace.  I've three more 24/25 to sound fit which will be simple then it is just 2 47s, 2 37s and a Western to do.

I seem quited wedded to N gauge again now, so it is also time to offload all my remaining OO - that should keep Mrs W happy when she sees the regular debits from Digitrains.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Just catching up with this thread after the announcement at Glasgow.  Thanks to all for the response, and useful feedback on the route map; I have tried to rectify the omissions highlighted though I suspect there may still be the odd one!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 25/02/2022 at 10:10, bmthtrains - David said:

That said the 180 goes nowhere near the WCML and I would be tempted by one of those too…

David 

They did when they worked Blackpool-Hazel Grove services via Preston.........

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/02/2022 at 10:26, Graham108 said:

Dependent on price I may join you. Although I'm still DC I like the idea of being able to fit a decoder without removing the body - don't know if loco manufacturers can copy this design feature. I'm guessing sometime in 2024 for these?

On 25/02/2022 at 10:28, TomScrut said:

Bachmann 90 is like that. I thought Accurascale were doing that with one/some of their locos too but might be wrong.

The Bachmann 350 and 158 can also be fitted with a decoder without removing the body.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/02/2022 at 18:56, 37038 said:

Having worked on the 180 units at Northern, I hope the model spec includes a smoke unit!

And you only need 3 sound decoders (or speakers) for a Northern 180 as that's often the number of engines that they could start! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

I’m very happy with this announcement would be nice to have a FNW 175 but that’s a bit out of my era, but remember them well from trips to Preston as a youngster. I think if I can afford them I’ll be buying two GC one’s and a Hull trains 180, as they really are the missing traction from my ECML layout. Now here’s hoping Hornby do a GC HST with orange stripe in the new tooling…

• Like 2

5 hours ago, XChris said:

I’m very happy with this announcement would be nice to have a FNW 175 but that’s a bit out of my era, but remember them well from trips to Preston as a youngster. I think if I can afford them I’ll be buying two GC one’s and a Hull trains 180, as they really are the missing traction from my ECML layout. Now here’s hoping Hornby do a GC HST with orange stripe in the new tooling…

Present day ECML express seems to be well catered for now. In theory the only hole on high speed stuff now is HT 803.

LNER 800/801 - Hornby

LNER 91/mk4 - Hornby

XC HST - Hornby (if you can find one)

TPE 802 - Hornby

GC 170 - Revolution

XC 220/221 - Bachmann (2nd hand)

Those of us in the North are also well catered for on shorter distance trips:

TPE 68/mk5 - Dapol/Accurascale

Northern 156 - Realtrack & Hornby

Northern 150 - Bachmann

Northern 153 - Hornby (needs debranding)

ScotRail 156 - Realtrack (sometimes appear on loan Newcastle & Darlington IIRC)

And rewind a couple of

years:

HT 180 - Revolution

LNER HST - Hornby (again, if you can find one)

Northern 142 - Realtrack

Only holes for me now passenger wise for Yorkshire ECML are:

Northern 170 - Bachmann?

Northern 158 - Bachmann?

HT 802 - Hornby?

Northern 195 - Anyone's guess?

Northern 155 - Anyone's guess?

TPE 185 - Anyone's guess

I think I'd only need a couple of those to be fulfilled to be completely satisfied on the passenger front.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Present day ECML express seems to be well catered for now. In theory the only hole on high speed stuff now is HT 803.

LNER 800/801 - Hornby

LNER 91/mk4 - Hornby

XC HST - Hornby (if you can find one)

TPE 802 - Hornby

GC 170 - Revolution

XC 220/221 - Bachmann (2nd hand)

Those of us in the North are also well catered for on shorter distance trips:

TPE 68/mk5 - Dapol/Accurascale

Northern 156 - Realtrack & Hornby

Northern 150 - Bachmann

Northern 153 - Hornby (needs debranding)

ScotRail 156 - Realtrack (sometimes appear on loan Newcastle & Darlington IIRC)

And rewind a couple of

years:

HT 180 - Revolution

LNER HST - Hornby (again, if you can find one)

Northern 142 - Realtrack

Only holes for me now passenger wise for Yorkshire ECML are:

Northern 170 - Bachmann?

Northern 158 - Bachmann?

HT 802 - Hornby?

Northern 195 - Anyone's guess?

Northern 155 - Anyone's guess?

I think I'd only need a couple of those to be fulfilled to be completely satisfied on the passenger front.

In addition to your comprehensive list, I'd add a TPE class 185 to my needs to represent the current scene on the ECML and West Yorkshire.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

A good list

Yes, but it wasn't covering where they go in terms of the lower speed stuff.

But I completely agree, especially with your elephant analogy. I do find it remarkable none of the mainstream manufacturers has done an RTR Electrostar. Go down to London and they are everywhere!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/03/2022 at 17:47, adb968008 said:

A good list but the herd of 2704 elephants in the country was missed off the list….

D51C9EF5-ADC1-4BBC-87C7-CC6942B9A66A.jpeg

Your are right, a 455 would be excellent - shame that 387 got in the way ;)

Roy

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

On 14/03/2022 at 13:58, PieGuyRob said:

Seeing as l have some time to save up, a 2 and 3 car 175 in first North western livery and a 180 in great western livery, please.

175008 in First North Western livery, named Valhalla, would be nice, please.

• Like 1