Highland Railway 'Jones Goods' 4-6-0 in 00

rapidoandy

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

That’s rather nice, 

Liveries offered are here, I do like the green!

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/highland-railway-jones-goods-4-6-0/

I agree. If I recall correctly, there was some doubt as to whether they were originally that vivid yellow.

Best launch video yet, I think. Excellent choice of subject – good thinking, Rapido!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Worked in BR days so that viewpoint is invalid. Even video/film footage of it on BR trains.

I'll repeat it if you want. "If it didn't last until BR it's not viable". Notice the coaches? 

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7006/6835359621_62247edff1_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/7833/46989207002_22d6c8d580_b.jpg

Jason

I think you know what I meant. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

36 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

It's a pity the're no Highland coaches in the Hattons generic range, and these engines would really have suited the LMS lined crimson lake livery.  I'll have to settle for HR green instead.  With a tablet catcher of course.

Some of the 6 wheelers in the Hattons and Hornby ranges are quite similar to the HR variety. The latter also has the benefit that plain unlined green is prototypical.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

While not something I'm interested in, I admire you for going against the tiresome "if it didn't last till BR it won't be viable" narrative. 

3 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

I would have thought that if someone was wanting to model one of the four pre grouping Scottish locos this was the least likely given that the Glen's and GNOSR D11 both lasted well into BR days.  Still, well done Rapido, one to think about.

Lol!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail?id=878

Shows the Green SR generic fleet and I am sure use of a cocktail stick or similar instrument the Southern Railway text could be removed.      There are of course some brass origami available for HR coaches. 

In LMS days a lot of stock was cascaded north when the lack of decent 3rd class stock was spotted.  So the black loco options offer good choice . I wonder how quick before Ben Alder gets "British Railways" on the tender of one! 

Robert        

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Bloomin' 'eck - i know the r-t-r world has seen some unusual things of late but I never expected to see one of those and especially not creeping out of 'Uncle Andy's Box of Secrets'.  Can I justify one?  Well as  it did creep down south it's not beyond the realms of improbability that it found itself gradually heading homewards via various railtours to unheard of places.  So the money making cap has been firmly placed on my head because it is rather delectable and not beyond the realms of excusability.

PS I am disgusted that you did not celebrate with a Tunnocks Caramel Wafer although the originator of the company hailed from NBR territory (or are you saving that for the 'Glen'?)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

PS I am disgusted that you did not celebrate with a Tunnocks Caramel Wafer although the originator of the company hailed from NBR territory (or are you saving that for the 'Glen'?)

Thomas Tunnock was born in Uddingston, where the company is still based. While there was an NBR branch through Uddingston, the major railway there is the Caley Glasgow-Carlisle mainline.

Edited by pH
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Worked in BR days so that viewpoint is invalid. Even video/film footage of it on BR trains.

Just to emphasize, it worked BR regular service trains. (As did 3440/3717, I think.)

In the Summer 1962 ABC, there’s a WJV Anderson picture titled “Preserved Highland Railway Jones Goods 4-6-0 No. 103 approaching Muir of Ord with an Inverness - Kyle of Lochalsh train on May 20 1960”. (Predictive text had real fun with that!) The train looks like 4 corridors and a full brake.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Otis JB said:

What a great announcement! From what I can gather Highland engines were always green and that nice yellow was rather inaccurate, would I be correct, more knowledgable people?  

Highland Railway locomotives were originally green until William Stroudley took over as locomotive superintendent and developed his Improved Engine Green colour and applied it to passenger engines. Stroudley left for the LBSCR in 1870, at which point David Jones took over and continued applying a slight variation on the Stroudley livery until 1884. The livery that replaced it is the one seen on the earliest Jones Goods that Rapido are offering, similar to what came before but with an apple green in place of the yellow/ochre of improved engine green.

914002-V4-01.jpeg

While the yellow currently applied to 103 is an accurate Highland livery, it's discontinuation predates the locomotive's construction by 10 years. As such, it is very unlikely that any of the locomotives of this class wore yellow in service.

Edited by mwrob
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mwrob said:

As such, it is very unlikely that any of the locomotives of this class wore yellow in service.

Except for one class member that has worn the yellow livery in and out of service for many more years than any other class member wore any other livery!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Except for one class member that has worn the yellow livery in and out of service for many more years than any other class member wore any other livery!

Same with Gordon Highlander. The green it carries today had been replaced by black by the time it was built but now that livery in itself is prototypical. Wonder if Scottish Region went with those two for aesthetic rather than historic purposes.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Seeing as the RTR manufacturers are picking their way through my unbuilt kit pile, I confidently predict that the next Scottish locos to be announced will be the So'jer and Glen Douglas. They won't do CR 123 because that's the one I really want.

I'm modelling the 1960s so the preserved liveries are authentic for me. There's something strangely satisfying about sticking 25kv warning placards on a pre-grouping livery. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

Not for me necessarily but the Highland Green versions look very tempting

Also this might be a stupid question but is the central driver meant to be flangeless? Is this the case on the real locos too? 

Yeah most of them had flangeless centre drivers most of their lives.

Also fun fact: When the LMS restored 103 in the 1930s, it had a Drummond chimney so nicked the Highland louvred one off 106. 106 and 108 were the two snowplough-adapted locos with an extra lamp bracket on the chimney, which has been retained on 103.

Also also: At some point one of the LMS black ones still in service swapped wheels with 103 and for a while was running around with lined green wheels and black everything else. One thinks if you did that on the model, people would ask 'when are you going to finish painting it?'

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

Also this might be a stupid question but is the central driver meant to be flangeless? Is this the case on the real locos too? 

Likewise Peter Drummond's Castles, which had an even longer coupled wheelbase of 6' 0" + 8' 3" (Jones Goods 5' 6" + 7' 3"), though not his Barneys, at 7' 6" + 9' 0".

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

Any idea when the shift between the two LMS Blacks happened?   I try to collect for 1933 now.

Is it necessarily a universally-applied change of style? It may just be that different engines got different styles depending on when they lost the 1923 livery. I suppose there will be photographic evidence for these two particular engines in the condition modelled.

It's a shame the Jones Goods never got LMS Passenger Engine red in 1923, which Lochgorm applied pretty freely. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1