Highland Railway 'Jones Goods' 4-6-0 in 00

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I've always had the impression that Stroudley was widely held to have been colour-blind and that the term "Improved Engine Green" was either devised to cover an error on his part or represented a contemporary attempt at sarcasm.

Many years ago, when I took (and passed) my RAF vision test, the MO told me that, especially among smokers, colour perception can be unstable and may vary significantly over quite short periods.

Consistency might therefore not be something to be expected?

John

I am apt to disbelieve the colour blindness theory on the basis that the full Brighton livery - a wondrous combination of ochre, claret, olive green, vermillion, black and white, each shade beautifully complementing its neighbours - could scarcely have been devised by a colour blind man.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I've long supposed that Stroudley's Improved Engine Green was simply because he thought green dull and conformist - so his colour was an improvement. I can imagine the youthful Johnson, Stroudley, and Drummond sitting in the pub after a hard day at Cowlairs trying to keep the E&GR's dodgy locomotive fleet going, vigorously debating what would be the best locomotive colour.

I've also wondered if the M&GN locomotive livery wasn't Johnson's tribute to his old friend.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

29 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I've always had the impression that Stroudley was widely held to have been colour-blind and that the term "Improved Engine Green" was either devised to cover an error on his part or represented a contemporary attempt at sarcasm.

Many years ago, when I took (and passed) my RAF vision test, the MO told me that, especially among smokers, colour perception can be unstable and may vary significantly over quite short periods.

Consistency might therefore not be something to be expected?

John

It's an often used misquote and the colour blindness is a probably a total myth. it's been debated for decades and serious historians such as David Jenkinson dismissed it as pure nonsense.

What he apparently said was "It's an improvement on Engine Green" which was the colour HR locomotives were at the time. Somewhere down the line it's been altered.

The interesting fact is he introduced the colour to the Highland yet his locomotives were turned out in green. He only built the three Lochgorm Tanks. It was subsequent locomotives built by Jones that received it. I think the Dukes were the first new engines to get it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124446949@N06/35241671283

Yellow was hardly unique, don't forget the M&GN also used it.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

I expect I'm not the first to comment and I appreciate it's a work-in-progress rather than the production version, but I can't see why they're using those peculiar solid wheels for the front and rear drivers, given that they managed to source spoked wheels for the centre axle. 

It does give the loco a very odd appearance.

4 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I expect I'm not the first to comment and I appreciate it's a work-in-progress rather than the production version, but I can't see why they're using those peculiar solid wheels for the front and rear drivers, given that they managed to source spoked wheels for the centre axle. 

It does give the loco a very odd appearance.

Looking back at the launch video it looks like it maybe maybe a Flangeless 3D print so doesn't need to be metal. The 2 outer ones do need flanges/be metal to make a quick and dirty running mockup to clearance testing etc. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I was at the riverside museum today, so grabbed a few photos. 

IMG_2016.JPG.89719b38d84d6d8e8eb34e78635ca59d.JPG

IMG_2015.JPG.7813ab3a54602c31f0d607d90700df99.JPG

IMG_2017.JPG.5bef47fc6c8acc4898e3efa95b6dc924.JPG

IMG_2009.JPG.999cc01d39d3ffc3260c19f27341fa6b.JPG

And dare I hope that whilst Rapido were at the museum 3D scanning the Jones goods (at least I assume they did, that's their usual method of operation), they may have scanned another couple of engines?

Edited by nightstar.train
  • Like 18
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here's the pic of the 'what if' BR livery applied to 112/17925/57925 copied over from the website.

The full length tender tank and Caley-style chimney/smokebox door should be correct for the condition this loco was withdrawn in.

BR-Black-V4-01a.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Corbs said:

Here's the pic of the 'what if' BR livery applied to 112/17925/57925 copied over from the website.

The full length tender tank and Caley-style chimney/smokebox door should be correct for the condition this loco was withdrawn in.

BR-Black-V4-01a.jpg

Its not coming up for me, could you send me the image directly? 

Oh wait, it’s the artwork from Sheffield. I thought you’d maybe shopped up a picture of the real thing.

Edited by scots region

11 hours ago, scots region said:

Oh wait, it’s the artwork from Sheffield.

It's the artwork from Rapido UK, who are based in Staplehurst. What does Sheffield have to do with it? (Besides the model being available from Rapido stockists, including those in Sheffield).

Edited by Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, shunny said:

Are we getting the preserved Caley coaches to go with it next? 

With the recent 812 as well being rather successful there should be the clear market.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

That would be a splendid  bonus - plus a 123 afterwards......

4 hours ago, E100 said:

With the recent 812 as well being rather successful there should be the clear market.

A certain gentleman based in Margate may well be turning purple at the thought..🥵.  

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2