Dia. AA20 'Toad' Brake Van

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold

All in all an excellent job Andy with those few possible detail items from Miss P to check out - as I'm sure you will.

A couple of things for your information - 'Toad' was the standard telegraphic code word for an unfitted freight (aka 'goods') brakevan;  I don't know if it had originated solely on the GEWR or if o it was standardised through the RCH but it was very definitely 'the standard' in the 1958 Telegraphic Code Book published by the BTC.  GWR style brakevans were banned from use in normal traffic from a date sometime in i965 (I', m still y trying to pin down the exact date.   A number of fitted brakevans remained in traffic use in the London Division solely for the purpose if forming a fitted head on various freight working - they were almost an everyday feast on the morning Acton - Slough service and its return working although I don't know if they were AA20s (and I doubt than anybody else knows either!).

Do you yet have any other running numbers in mind please - not that renumbering etc is a chore but I wondered ifI am going to have the choice of buying some with different numbers etc or will just have to renumber etc W68740?

• Like 2

Second time today looking through tranches of my photos. Just a couple are suitable to show use of some of these vans, but there are plenty more at https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrbrakevan  Although as mentioned their use for revenue trains ceased some time in the mid 1960s they seemed to be popular with the engineers - perhaps the van section was bigger or better built? So they spread across much of the system - the ER seemed to have liked them! 

918010 ZXO Toad Brake van in Engineers yellow - DW17244 York Leeman Road Feb 1988 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrbrakevan/e2d60c88b [I have the same van in a very nice olive green in April 1976 at Yeovil Pen Mill and several more as this deteriorated in Bristol and Hitchin].

918009 GWR Dia. AA20 Toad brake van in BR Departmental grey - DW17247 Swindon Works May 1979 - written for SLOUGH  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrbrakevan/e2861149a  & a long way from Slough at Exeter Riverside Sept. 1981 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrbrakevan/e361af2fe

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Given the superb standard of this model and knowing the enormous depth of knowledge on here I'm hoping that someone will know if any AA20 brake vans were allocated to Truro in the 1950's/early 1960's. I can also see a market opportunity for the transfer makers in producing, either as ready purchase or to order, a variety of 'RU' locations for these vans.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tankerman said:

Given the superb standard of this model and knowing the enormous depth of knowledge on here I'm hoping that someone will know if any AA20 brake vans were allocated to Truro in the 1950's/early 1960's. I can also see a market opportunity for the transfer makers in producing, either as ready purchase or to order, a variety of 'RU' locations for these vans.

CCT have range, as do Railtec. Railtec also to names to order at £1.50.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 25/02/2022 at 17:38, hmrspaul said:

Although as mentioned their use for revenue trains ceased some time in the mid 1960s they seemed to be popular with the engineers - perhaps the van section was bigger or better built? So they spread across much of the system - the ER seemed to have liked them! 

Paul

On my own parish, the MSC Railway found no use for them as brake vans but bought several for use as breakdown/rerailing vans. The van part provided a spacious mobile mess-room and store for smaller items, while heavy jacks, timber packing, sleepers etc could be securely loaded on the balcony part and unloaded fairly easily through the side doors. 

I suspect BR engineers also liked this combination of features for the same reasons. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

On my own parish, the MSC Railway found no use for them as brake vans but bought several for use as breakdown/rerailing vans. The van part provided a spacious mobile mess-room and store for smaller items, while heavy jacks, timber packing, sleepers etc could be securely loaded on the balcony part and unloaded fairly easily through the side doors. 

I suspect BR engineers also liked this combination of features for the same reasons. 

All the Guards I knew who worked in them liked them - very strongly preferred over the ever draughty BR standard pattern van.  As I've recounted before back in the mid 1970s I had occasion to 'have a few words' with one of my Guards after I saw a train arriving back from Bristol East Depot one morning with a Western pattern van on the back.  He came up with an excellent story about going out light engine and having to find a brakevan for the back working and 'the only one he could find' happened to be an Engineers' GWR pattern van that was standing in East Depot yard so he had no choice but to use it or cancel the train, and it was all Engineer's traffic on the train anyway.  When I pointed out to him that I could still see the frost on the ground as clearly as he could so I knew exactly why he had swiped it all I got was a conspiratorial smile.

He was a great bloke, and a good practical railwayman of the old school, but I do wonder if he got rather fed up with me occasionally happening to see a train he was working arriving back in the yard followed by a call to the Yard Chargeman etc to tell him to visit me in the office before he booked-off?

• Like 3

On 25/02/2022 at 17:19, gwrrob said:

Shouldn't the small lettered GW versions have grey rooves .:read:

Not necessarily.  The small 4" GW lettering came in '1936 into 1937' according to Tourret so any van painted between that date and WW2 would have had a white roof.  Tourret doesn't give anything definitive about a change from white to grey roofs once WW2 started but that does seem to be what happened.  He does however mention how white roofs soon became sooty black.  One thing I have noticed after much perusal of photographs of yard scenes etc is how long white roofs on brake vans seem to have lasted.

But I would suggest that the end angles on roofs were not painted grey as shown on the Rapido livery artwork for the forthcoming models - at least not the horizontal angle - and this should be amended.  Otherwise the models look very nice indeed and I have no hesitation in placing two on order - I especially like the East Depot version.

Gerry

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It looks absolutely superb - well done!

As far as the spring hangers go, I modelled them exactly as you have done when I built "my" W68740, so if you are wrong then so am I!

DSCN9749.jpg.a4686e5f5058cd54a9a453ffff59b960.jpg

I was working from the Toad that is at Bristol Industrial museum, which I think I thought was an AA20:unsure:

Either way I will not be losing any sleep over it, nor do I think should you.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1