Dia. AA20 'Toad' Brake Van

rapidoandy

Morning all,

Sorry - buys weekend with the family so not had time to get on here until this morning.

So to answer a few questions:

Axleboxes. Yes these will be sorted - its actually an issue with the render - the proper model has the full detail!

Horizontal angles on the roof will painted roof colour.

On the post '36 livery one should have a dark roof and this is being corrected. The other was built in 38 so would have been white.

Regards the two large letter examples from the later batch - these are based on the preserved examples in return for the help received. Preserved ones also sell well - I will amend the website to show that tomorrow.

Happy modelling!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 27/02/2022 at 10:42, The Stationmaster said:

Andy - one thing which has just come to my mind is do you know how easy, or difficult, it will be to remove the lettering and black panels on the BR liveried vehicles?

Good question - I haven't tried removing the finish from any of our wagons so far. I will see if I can locate a donor model to try it on.

For those of you interested we have had a minor update to the artworks:

918001.jpg.7ac2629af2a024932eccc466877a0da8.jpg

918002.jpg.71ff4160c470246e5fe69d19a286e0c5.jpg

918003.jpg.af19dd1bed63cc88416ae53ccf84fc7a.jpg

918004.jpg.aadcb965a08c6e97b061e238271fa3fd.jpg

918005.jpg.395e2d629de3e12ae8094495974d5617.jpg

918006.jpg.749165944e67f78d4ebd3e449361dc87.jpg

918007.jpg.7c413e865f91e1101fab87cb0e42977c.jpg

918008.jpg.a4d6ebb7accf6c542c42ec9e696556e6.jpg

918009.jpg.5dcc353680b9ed936e4ff4966d6bce1b.jpg

918010.jpg.5d66c9e2745dfc1781a6d8b810b7172a.jpg

Andy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Good question - I haven't tried removing the finish from any of our wagons so far. I will see if I can locate a donor model to try it on.

For those of you interested we have had a minor update to the artworks:

Thanks @rapidoandy can I confirm that 68764 is a 1940 build then.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Going back to the chamfers, the "other" Titfield toad definitely had them:

1069567352_1-TitfieldToads.jpg.88dcf60b3a4d1066804c79132f9b14da.jpg

Photograph from my collection.

The "main" Titfield Toad 68740 did not:

523068172_StudioCanalimage.jpg.eff6e5b5073c70d63702f648cf1fe9b9.jpg

This image is copyright of Studio Canal and appears on their public website, from where you can purchase it, together with many other wonderful images.

Simon

• Like 5

Thanks for the updated artwork @rapidoandy.

Do you have the artwork for the other side of the post-36 ‘small lettered’ GW versions? I ask as both Bachmann and Hornby have in their attempts at this livery got the markings in the wrong panels, which put me off purchasing them - I’m confident your diligent research will mean you get this right on your versions.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BenL said:

Thanks for the updated artwork @rapidoandy.

Do you have the artwork for the other side of the post-36 ‘small lettered’ GW versions? I ask as both Bachmann and Hornby have in their attempts at this livery got the markings in the wrong panels, which put me off purchasing them - I’m confident your diligent research will mean you get this right on your versions.

I currently only have the one side to hand. If you have anything that shows what it should be like I would love to check it out for you (and correct it if we have it wrong).

We always appreciate the help!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Andy. Just from a quick online search, here are a couple of shots:

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbsh2497.htm

https://www.nrmfriends.org.uk/post/riding-a-toad

The GW branding and number are in the second panel from the left, and the tonnage in the panel to the immediate left of the door. This is the positioning in photos I found when I looked into this a while back when re-branding some Bachmann GW brake vans but I will check my books again when I get a chance and highlight any useful pics I can find.

In contrast, Bachmann and Hornby have gone for the GW and number in the first panel from the left and the tonnage in the second panel to the left of the door:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/530988/bachmann_branchline_33_300h_20_ton_toad_brake_van_in_gwr_dark_grey/stockdetail

https://www.hattons.co.uk/513920/hornby_r6940_gwr_aa15_toad_20_ton_brake_van_68611_in_gwr_grey/stockdetail

I probably shouldn’t say this is definitely ‘wrong’ but I haven’t managed to find a prototype photo showing these positionings.

Edited by BenL
  • Like 2

Absolutely Robin, a GWR open to modern standards is a massive omission in the current RTR market and would surely sell like hot cakes. I'd suggest the much more numerous O11s or O32s over the O29 but I for one would take pretty much any!

And of course if Rapido wanted to do something similar to what they've done with the SECR opens and vans, the underframes for these GW opens could also be used for a number of GW vans...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I still can't find a pic of an AA20 with chamfers on the stanchions. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Well, I have been looking into it.

The drawings we have show the chamfer, however all the preserved ones are straight (not something you can wholly rely on) and what can be seen in period photos show straight.

As a result we have changed the CAD and tooling to give them straight stanchions - after all the Titfield one is straight!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/03/2022 at 14:45, gwrrob said:

Cracking photo @BenL and I wonder if Rapido could be persuaded to model the 5 plank open 029 also in that shot too.;)

On 04/03/2022 at 16:45, BenL said:

Absolutely Robin, a GWR open to modern standards is a massive omission in the current RTR market and would surely sell like hot cakes. I'd suggest the much more numerous O11s or O32s over the O29 but I for one would take pretty much any!

And of course if Rapido wanted to do something similar to what they've done with the SECR opens and vans, the underframes for these GW opens could also be used for a number of GW vans...

Well lets put it this way.

As a BR transition era modeller I already have half a dozen Toads so will be very unlikely to buy any more. However open wagons and vans that survived to around 1962 would very likely find a home in my stock boxes. 

Hint hint

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Covkid said:

Well lets put it this way.

As a BR transition era modeller I already have half a dozen Toads so will be very unlikely to buy any more. However open wagons and vans that survived to around 1962 would very likely find a home in my stock boxes. 

Hint hint

I am very disappointed that the diagonal  bracing  on my (most recent) Hornby Toad is only printed  on. A definite opportunity there.

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
(most recent)
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/03/2022 at 17:09, Miss Prism said:

I think the roofs of the chamfered stanchion diagrams must have been a bit narrower than the non-chamfered ones.

brakevan-stanchion-chamfers.png.1b9c5a07df73ced0ca3af2b2592fad64.png

I do not know why the GWR did this.

On that basis they are all chamfered!

That's borne out by photographs that suggest the only difference was whether the chamfer was visible or hidden by the edge of the roof, i.e. the strapping varied in height. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

I don't understand.

If a square top edge is visible, the strapping clearly ends short of the roof.

If a chamfered top edge is visible, the strapping clearly ends short of the roof. 

If the top edge is hidden under the roof, the strapping is clearly taller (unless the overall height of the van varies), and it becomes difficult to determine whether it is square or chamfered.

i.e. are/were there only two possible variations?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 03/03/2022 at 21:39, rapidoandy said:

I currently only have the one side to hand. If you have anything that shows what it should be like I would love to check it out for you (and correct it if we have it wrong).

We always appreciate the help!

Hi @rapidoandy,

Just wondered if you've had any updates on the artwork for the other side of these yet?

Cheers,

Ben

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A minor point. You've got the upper footboard in the lower position, rather than in the upper position.

I suspect the upper footboard was lowered only in BR times (??), and perhaps confined to those AA20s with the lower footboard in the lower position. Evidence from preserved vans though is contradictory, but then preserved vans tend to have been rebuilt extensively, especially footboards.

• Agree 2

Probably obvious and already spotted but in the top view the short footstep is not below the door to the veranda and the number plate is at the wrong end - looks like the same error that the Oxford LNER cattle wagon had.  And please do something about the wavy hand rails!

Gerry

• Agree 3