Scotland’s Diesel Fleet in Detail: Class 26s - SDEG Scottish Diesel and Electric Group

Scotland’s Diesel Fleet in Detail: Class 26s

Compiled by Andrew Donnelly

SDEG Scottish Diesel and Electric Group

This is the first volume in a planned series produced and supported by SDEG members, with Scotland’s Diesel in Detail: Class 26s provides detailed notes on each member of the class 26 fleet, aimed at assisting modellers of the 1980s and 1990s. It is intended neither as a pure photo album, or a full history of the class and their operations over 35 years of service, nor a book to read from start to finish in one go, but rather as a useful reference source when working on class 26 model projects or for general interest in the class. The original intention was to concentrate on members of the class which received a Heavy General Overhaul (HGO) between late 1981 and 1986, but this was expanded to cover all of the class which survived into the 1980s, as well as some brief notes on the earlier withdrawals from the 1970s.

The sheer number of detail and livery variations carried by the class 26s can never be illustrated in a single book such as this, but the aim is to provide information for the modeller and pointers which can be subsequently used when searching internet-based resources, for example. The book features a general review of the class, focused on the 1980s and up to 1993, when the final examples were withdrawn and a short section highlighting the main detail variations referred to in the subsequent text. It then takes a detailed look at the 33 members of the class which received HGOs, divided into the class 26/0s & 26/1s, being interspersed with a section covering the other examples withdrawn by or during the early 1980s. Each loco entry starts with notes covering the period from their last overhaul in the late 1970s or early 1980s, subsequent HGO refurbishment and then reviews events and changes over the following years up until withdrawal.

Scotland’s Diesel in Detail: Class 26s consists of 100 pages in 25cm x 25cm format, over 100 photos and nearly 35,000 words. A hardback, gloss cover has been chosen, along with silk finish pages and a blue marker ribbon. Compilation has taken many months of work with valuable contributions from various SDEG members and a number of excellent contacts and friends of the group. The text has been reviewed from a technical perspective by those with considerable experience of the class, as well as extensive proof-reading. The book has been prepared using professional publishing software, assisted by a design professional in creating the layout and eye-catching cover design.

A second book, covering Scottish class 47/4s of the 1980 to 1995 period is in final preparation to the same specification and design and will be released later this year.

The Class 26 book, available now, has been self-funded and published by SDEG, through whom purchasing details, prices and distribution can be obtained at www.sdeg.info

26s cover.jpg

26s flyer.jpg

26s p5.jpg

26s p15.jpg

26s p35.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Definitely interested.  How much please as the weblink (at time of writing this) does not actually show any price or ordering information.

The final price will depend on how copies are delivered to purchasers, hence the note drop an email to the address noted.

This a new initiative from the model group and is being managed by volunteer members in their own time, so please be patient with us in getting back to contacts - especially over this weekend with the group attending Model Rail Scotland. 

• Thanks 1

We have had a fantastic reaction to the class 26 book from those who saw the sample copy at Model Rail Scotland and the photos I have posted of it. Everyone who enquired about how to order should have had a reply from us (if not, please complain here!) and payment confirmations are flooding in. If you expressed interest and wish to proceed with a purchase, then please do so sooner rather than later as we are anticipating that the first print run will sell out... So a big thank you to everyone for your support so far!

• Like 1

I have had at least one note of an email to our contact address not being received - so if anyone else has sent SDEG an email at books@sdeg.info to request details on how to purchase the Class 26s book and not had a reply yet, then please contact myself via PM.

Once again, I would like to thank everyone for their interest in this and future editions - the second volume covering the 'Classic' Scottish class 47/4s has essentially been completed and is planned for an early summer release.

Posting of paid orders may start this week, if not, then from Monday onwards. The books themselves are in stock ready to go!

• Like 1

The first orders have been despatched by First Class post today! An email advising of despatch date will be sent out the same day.

70% of this first print run have now been purchased in less than a week since the first announcement last friday, which is very encouraging. Thank you again!

14 hours ago, Davidjsmith said:

I have just sent an email tonight are there any left also what is the cost?

Thanks David - all sorted last night!

All orders received and with payments confirmed up until yesterday morning have now been posted - with the first copies having been delivered already. Orders from yesterday onwards will be despatched on Monday, all being well. 

• Like 1

I have just received my copy of 'Scotland’s Diesel Fleet in Detail: Class 26s'.

I've only had chance to have a brief look at the book so far, but it is a high quality publication. There are lots of excellent close up detail photos of the class with explanations of the function of the areas on show. There are some fascinating shots of the class at work and the pictures are clear and sharp. The text appears to have a wealth of information on every individual member of the class 26's. If you have an interest in 26's  and modelling Scottish railways in the diesel era I would highly recommend you purchase this book. (By the way, I have no connection with the SDEG, other than as a happy customer...  )

Many thanks to all at the SDEG for producing this publication. Incidentally, I placed my order and paid for the book on March 2nd and it arrived in the wilds of Wales this morning, March 4th - excellent service!

28 minutes ago, Flood said:

My copy arrived this morning. Excellent service from the SDEG, I'm looking forward to spending some time looking through it.

Hi Flood - I did spot what I thought was your email when I was dealing with enquiries. I hope it lives up to expectations!

I have to acknowledge that your numerous posts here regarding the Scottish fleet, especially the 47/7s and Push-Pull sets (the subject that I'm working on just now!), have been invaluable and informative. So much so that due credit will appear when this one comes to publication! ;-)

2 hours ago, 158722 said:

Hi Flood - I did spot what I thought was your email when I was dealing with enquiries. I hope it lives up to expectations!

I have to acknowledge that your numerous posts here regarding the Scottish fleet, especially the 47/7s and Push-Pull sets (the subject that I'm working on just now!), have been invaluable and informative. So much so that due credit will appear when this one comes to publication! ;-)

You're too kind, all I do is devour working timetables, passenger marshalling books (thanks to Robert Carroll and his BR Coaching Stock Group) and copies of Loco Hauled Travel!

With regard to the push-pull sets please take into account the following post from Glenn Daniel (#Dunedin). He worked on the 47/7s at Haymarket before moving to Craigentinny.

St Enodoc should also be contacted/referenced as he knows considerably more about push-pull systems than I ever will.

Edited by Flood
  • Thanks 1

I've picked up on those threads, Flood - they've been very useful indeed, thank you. I'm still trying to work out the true story of the ScotRail livery SLEPs however - 10578, 10610, did they, didn't they, etc. Photographic proof being elusive!

One good thing about preparing the books is what you learn - even 30 odd years later, there are still surprises to discover and new material turning up... the two ScotRail livery Mk2D FKs for example. They were news to me! 

The initial print run of the class 26 edition has now sold out! A big thank you to all purchasers for your support. A second print run has been actioned and we expect delivery of these during the week commencing 21st March. We can still take orders, but these will only be available for shipment towards the end of this month.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...

A quick update, given the rmweb outage.

The first print run of the class 26s book was sold out within a week, so a second run was delivered soon afterwards and has also been selling well. There are copies still available, so please drop an email to books@sdeg.info and we will reply with ordering details.

Reaction has continued to be overwhelmingly positive, for which I am grateful for. The plan is to launch the next book in the series, covering the Scottish class 47/4s, in June. This is essentially ready for printing with some final adjustments and checking being made. We have taken the decision to expand this volume to 110 pages given the quantity of material. Should all go well, the one after that will be 'ScotRail Express' - the 47/7s and Push-Pull sets - by the end of this year. This latter one is proving a really interesting one to produce and one that I hope will be of interest.

• Like 6

Well you have a guaranteed sale here for each of those :-).  26 book was excellent. Looking forward to

seeing them in due course. How do you find out when available so that don’t miss out?

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/04/2022 at 19:45, Matt said:

Well you have a guaranteed sale here for each of those :-).  26 book was excellent. Looking forward to

seeing them in due course. How do you find out when available so that don’t miss out?

Hi Matt, sorry for the slow reply, but we will be contacting purchasers of the 26 book and posting details of the 47/4s book here and elsewhere. All on track at present!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/04/2022 at 11:53, 158722 said:

Reaction has continued to be overwhelmingly positive, for which I am grateful for. The plan is to launch the next book in the series, covering the Scottish class 47/4s, in June. This is essentially ready for printing with some final adjustments and checking being made. We have taken the decision to expand this volume to 110 pages given the quantity of material. Should all go well, the one after that will be 'ScotRail Express' - the 47/7s and Push-Pull sets - by the end of this year. This latter one is proving a really interesting one to produce and one that I hope will be of interest.

Got my copy of the 26 book from the first run which, as others have stated, is a cracker. If the class 47 books are half as good they will be well worth waiting for. Looking into the future, I suspect that there would be considerable demand for similar style books for the class 37's and 37/4's that migrated north in the 1980's. Is there any likelihood of such a book? 

On 18/05/2022 at 07:27, young37215 said:

Got my copy of the 26 book from the first run which, as others have stated, is a cracker. If the class 47 books are half as good they will be well worth waiting for. Looking into the future, I suspect that there would be considerable demand for similar style books for the class 37's and 37/4's that migrated north in the 1980's. Is there any likelihood of such a book? 

Thanks for the comments!

As a sneak update, the 47/4s volume has been submitted to the printers this week and we should have proof copies next week. Subject to this being accepted, then printing can begin after this. Given the sucess of the 26 volume and feedback received, the 47/4s (and future volumes) are to be printed on heavier grade paper and increased to 120 pages. There was more than enough material to fill this on the 47/4s, with more photos and more text. I've got more photographers strapped on board now and I think there are some rather nice illustrations, plus one of the class 47 'gurus' has been a superb contributor to reviewing the technical side.

The 'ScotRail Express' volume on 47/7s and Push-Pull stock will follow the same format as the 47/4s and is at the proof reading and technical review stage. If anything, it was a challenge to fit everything into 120 pages on this one, but I'm really happy with how both 47 volumes are looking. The aim is to publish ScotRail Express towards the end of this year.

After that, I'm working on Steam Heat class 37/0s, with the class 27s likely to follow that. Both projects for 2023 I would imagine.

I have a few ideas floating around as to what next after that... list not in any planned order!

20s

37s of the 1980s (1980-1987)

Freight 37s of sector era (1987-1996)

- preliminary prep on the freight 37s suggest that these will need two volumes and even then, these may only cover 37/0s given the sheer quantity of locos allocated to Freight, Departmental and IC sectors over the two periods. A separate volume on the 37/5s & 37/7s might be needed.

37/4s

47/0s 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Davidjsmith said:

Hopfully you will email current customers when this book availerble?

Thats the plan! Only when printed copies are received though, just in case of any delays or issues.

1 hour ago, billywhizz said:

Has the 2nd run of the Class 26 book now sold out? 

We still have copies available ready to be sent out.

Drop us an email at books@sdeg.info and I can send you the ordering details.

• Like 1