Modellers living in or near Denbighshire?

James Hilton

For some time I’ve wondered if there were any other modellers living in the Bala / Ruthin / Corwen / Llangollen / Wrexham or just over the border (Oswestry).

The clubs in Rhyl, Chester and over the NMRA group over in Crewe are just a little too far for a regular visit. I live between Llangollen and Corwen, and would consider co-ordinating some sort of informal members day style event in this part of the county to get the ball rolling? Is anyone else actively modelling (or not) and in the area and is interested?

• Like 2

Hello James.  Your post attracted my attention as I am not too far from Denbighshire, being in Conwy (county) and our local club is just a few miles from Rhuddlan, in Abergele.  But when I see where you are I accept that you are not in an area where there is a big enough catchment to support a club.  I would guess that Wrexham would be nearer than Rhyl or Chester, but are they still going ?

Our club is small (17 members) and by comparison we are in a bigger conurbation. If you are in the area any Monday or Thursday evening, please pop in for a chat.

Best wishes,  Merfyn Jones , Chairman. Colwyn Model Railway Club.

46 minutes ago, Merfyn Jones said:

I would guess that Wrexham would be nearer than Rhyl or Chester, but are they still going ?

… If you are in the area any Monday or Thursday evening, please pop in for a chat.

Merfyn thanks for your encouragement- indeed the problem is the size of catchment areas. I cannot believe there are no active (or even armchair) modellers this end of Denbighshire.

Wrexham I’m afraid seems to have gone, and as you say, you are too far to be regular for me… I hope a few come out of the wood work so to speak and we can create a community in this neck of the woods!

48 minutes ago, Nick G said:

I am in Rhyl so out of your preferred area.

Thanks for joining the group though Nick. As you say, if I was on the coast myself I’d probably just go along to the Colywn Bay club, I’m hoping there are one or two interested in meeting up around here… certainly if I can’t find them via RMWeb and Facebook I won’t find them any other way these days!

Well my fledgling Facebook group has swelled to 5 members! 
We would welcome any other modellers in the area.

Some casual meet ups are already planned, and perhaps in time some sort of group event. In which case, I’ll share details here too! 

• 2 weeks later...

Just to bring this up in the postings, there are a few of us who have met now but plenty of opportunity for more if anyone is interested, or knows anyone else who lives in the region. 

We’ce standard gauge, narrow gauge, 1:87, 1:76, 1:43 and 1:13.7 scales and 6.5mm, 9mm, 16.5mm and 32mm gauges represented! No N scale yet mind…

• 1 month later...
On 27/02/2022 at 20:37, muddys-blues said:

Hi James, there are a few of us out Gwynedd way, planning to model in 4mm and 7mm.

Feel free to PM, sometimes just a social meet up every couple or 6 months is nice.

Best regards

Craig  

Indeed!

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I live just outside wxm Town (city) centre. Was a member of the North East Wales model club many decades ago, we were based in Wrexham General station itself. 

Got 2 models on the go, one in the garage, 12ft by 3ft Tmd, and a temporary kato n scale one with the unitram setup as well. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I live in Buckley but for the past 3.5 years have been in Swansea on a secondment only getting home 1 weekend a month. Started collecting model railways in 2015 with a view to building a layout. Every time I've planned to start, something has cropped up: 2018 got married, 2019 a planned house move which subsequently fell through when work asked me to go to Swansea. That was only meant to be for a few months but then covid happened and everything changed again.

Anyway, I had a week off between the two bank holidays at the beginning of the month and finally made a start. That is, I made it to Thorncliffes and bought the timber and had them cut the baseboards to size.

Will have a long weekend at home for the next bank holiday and hopefully will make a start on getting the baseboards constructed. It will be a long process but can't wait to one day get the trains out of the display case and onto some track.

IMG20230505163238.jpg.90ab3b4bb2743cd038a0719e894e4a85.jpg

IMG20230505202913.jpg.cd92f8f1ebb8203eac7aa276762e84b4.jpg

• Like 1