No longer getting email notifications for content followed to my inbox

Since Friday 25th I have not had any email notifications to my inbox of the numerous followed topics I subscribe to.

There have been posts made to some of the topics since Friday when I check Content I Follow on the RMweb site.

I have not changed any settings at RMweb, I've checked spam and junk folders on my pc and the webmail server that my emails go to.

Screenshot of my settings below.  Any help appreciated.

1774688250_contentsettings.jpg.dec26124ceeacf7b3098672edcdfb8db.jpg

• Moderators

Sometimes an ISP can inadvertently block such notifications as spam. Nothing should have changed and I'm getting notifications through to it's definitely not server-wide.

It may just resolve itself.

36 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Sometimes an ISP can inadvertently block such notifications as spam. Nothing should have changed and I'm getting notifications through to it's definitely not server-wide.

Thank you Andy.

I am with Virginmedia, there is the odd scam email going to my spam box but nothing there from RMweb.  I know that Virgin do filter spam before it gets anywhere near the account, maybe that is what has happened but that seems odd after all these years of receiving the notifications, but then again that is Virginmedia.  I will check further at my end.

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

then again that is Virginmedia

It wouldn't be the first time. Our neighbour regularly has such problems, sometimes they fix it but mostly they can't resolve it.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I’m with VM too and getting the same problem as well.

Thank you Robin for confirming what seems to be a Virginmedia problem.

I very rarely go on their website to view my email as it is all downloaded to my Outlook email client.  However, I did today and in settings I have changed it to not filter spam.  I don't for one moment think it will make any difference, as I think that is just to remove spam email from the inbox to the spam folder 'after' receiving it.  The bigger issue is Virgin filtering 'what they think is spam' before it gets to the inbox in the first place.  It seems a common problem having trawled the internet for answers.  There is also no white list for email on the Virgin site either.

• Friendly/supportive 1

UPDATE :crazy_mini:

I really didn't know whether to laugh or cry at the various shenanigans that have been going on tonight trying to solve this problem.

I phoned Virginmedia help and spoke to a nice chap in India who was speaking ten times faster than I could string his words together to make any sense.  He confirmed that there is no problems with my email account, which I know, but I could not get him to understand that it is only emails sent from info@rmweb.co.uk that are not getting as far as my inbox.  When I suggested that it is their spam filtering mechanism he didn't know what I was on about (probably not on his crib sheet) and gave me a phone number for their security engineers.  In the meantime all he wanted to do was sell me new TV/broadband/phone packages because Virgin are raising their prices in April, all the packages he suggested were going to cost more for less content than I have now and he could not understand when I kept saying no.  I terminated the call in frustration.

Call number two to the London number he gave me was a waste of time.  It turned out to be F-Secure the security package that Virgin sells to their customers.  The nice chap there said they do not deal with email problems.

Back to phoning Virgin help again with the hope of getting someone more understandable and with a bit of knowledge.  Well, the lady was understandable, but working off the same crib sheet we got nowhere.  She could not or would not give me a number for me to call in the UK for a more technical person to assist so again call terminated.

Having thought a bit more about the problem which seems only to effect Virgin email customers I decided to change my email address on RMweb to one of my Google @gmail addresses.  Easy to do, or should have been!  Logged on to my RMweb account put my new email address in the appropriate box, entered my password to confirm, clicked save and a new window popped up as below.

confirm.jpg.8e6af838e26d66b43dfed9903faec86e.jpg

I went the other tab in my browser where the email account was already open and waited, and waited, then it kicked off, content I follow notifications where coming into my gmail inbox faster than it rains BUT still no validation email had arrived.  I am now in limbo, I cannot open my old account because I don't exist and clicking on the 'Go to this post button' on one of the notification emails gives an error page because I have not confirmed my new email address in the validation email that I have not yet received.

Back to the other browser tab (good job I had not closed any tabs) and clicked on the Re-send Email link which then gave me this.

contact8.jpg.1f502b17c47da4f938c90e95849e006e.jpg

So I left the computer and went off for half an hour to calm down.  I clicked resend on my return and the new confim email arrived instantly. :yahoo:

email.jpg.07d2f557054a21a4f68ae45ef0f553fe.jpg

Clicked the comfirm address button and I am all good to go again.  Everything is as it was before on the RMweb site and I am now snowed under with notifications in my other inbox.  Life is back to normal!

P.S.

Andy, you have my upmost respect for dealing with these sort of problems every day, how you manage with those who are not so computer literate is beyond me.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

how you manage with those who are not so computer literate is beyond me.

Believe me, sometimes I am so close to asking if they kept the box it came in. I knew it wasn't a Picnic issue this time!

• Funny 3

4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Believe me, sometimes I am so close to asking if they kept the box it came in. I knew it wasn't a Picnic issue this time!

I actually know someone who keeps their pc in its box and brings it out a couple of times a month or less to do something then pack it all away again until the next time, they even put that plastic cover over the three pin mains plug that comes in the packaging!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

On 28/02/2022 at 14:24, AY Mod said:

Andy, as you know I changed my email address at ntlworld for receiving notifications at around 9pm on Monday 28 February due to not receceiving any notifications since Friday 25 February. The new address at gmail is working ok.

Last night I completely emptied my inbox, this morning I opened my email account and this is what I received.  Note the Sent and Received columns.

I wonder where all those got held up?  I know the price of postage is going through the roof, but you did put a first class stamp on them, didn't you?:jester:

1807502274_emaillist.jpg.1f534a7a21e1753963a304cad62273fe.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

I know the price of postage is going through the roof, but you did put a first class stamp on them, didn't you?

Sometimes the pigeons stop off for a nap if it's a long flight via Neckar Island.

• Funny 3

3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Yes, I've just had my VM backlog of RMweb emails come through too, over 200.:read:

Looking at the email headers I think there has been a problem with the server mx2.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net not picking up the sent messages from RMweb for delivery to Virginmedia.

Hopefully it is all resolved now Robin.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I’m not getting any email notifications since the new update and change of host, all my settings are the same but so far nothing.

Just answered in the other topic you asked the question.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Just answered in the other topic you asked the question.

Thanks Andy, after I had posted I noticed you had changed the title and thought that thread was now majoring on the image issues.

• RMweb Premium

I’ve followed Andy’s instructions regarding missing email notifications and even re entered my email address (which could have ended in tears as RMWeb needed to send me a notification for confirming my email, and it couldn’t! Andy sorted in manually, thanks again Andy)

Anyone having this issue using AOL mail by any chance?

• RMweb Premium
On 28/02/2022 at 21:34, Donington Road said:

UPDATE :crazy_mini:

I really didn't know whether to laugh or cry at the various shenanigans that have been going on tonight trying to solve this problem.

I phoned Virginmedia help and spoke to a nice chap in India who was speaking ten times faster than I could string his words together to make any sense.  He confirmed that there is no problems with my email account, which I know, but I could not get him to understand that it is only emails sent from info@rmweb.co.uk that are not getting as far as my inbox.  When I suggested that it is their spam filtering mechanism he didn't know what I was on about (probably not on his crib sheet) and gave me a phone number for their security engineers.  In the meantime all he wanted to do was sell me new TV/broadband/phone packages because Virgin are raising their prices in April, all the packages he suggested were going to cost more for less content than I have now and he could not understand when I kept saying no.  I terminated the call in frustration.

Call number two to the London number he gave me was a waste of time.  It turned out to be F-Secure the security package that Virgin sells to their customers.  The nice chap there said they do not deal with email problems.

Back to phoning Virgin help again with the hope of getting someone more understandable and with a bit of knowledge.  Well, the lady was understandable, but working off the same crib sheet we got nowhere.  She could not or would not give me a number for me to call in the UK for a more technical person to assist so again call terminated.

Having thought a bit more about the problem which seems only to effect Virgin email customers I decided to change my email address on RMweb to one of my Google @gmail addresses.  Easy to do, or should have been!  Logged on to my RMweb account put my new email address in the appropriate box, entered my password to confirm, clicked save and a new window popped up as below.

confirm.jpg.8e6af838e26d66b43dfed9903faec86e.jpg

I went the other tab in my browser where the email account was already open and waited, and waited, then it kicked off, content I follow notifications where coming into my gmail inbox faster than it rains BUT still no validation email had arrived.  I am now in limbo, I cannot open my old account because I don't exist and clicking on the 'Go to this post button' on one of the notification emails gives an error page because I have not confirmed my new email address in the validation email that I have not yet received.

Back to the other browser tab (good job I had not closed any tabs) and clicked on the Re-send Email link which then gave me this.

contact8.jpg.1f502b17c47da4f938c90e95849e006e.jpg

So I left the computer and went off for half an hour to calm down.  I clicked resend on my return and the new confim email arrived instantly. :yahoo:

email.jpg.07d2f557054a21a4f68ae45ef0f553fe.jpg

Clicked the comfirm address button and I am all good to go again.  Everything is as it was before on the RMweb site and I am now snowed under with notifications in my other inbox.  Life is back to normal!

P.S.

Andy, you have my upmost respect for dealing with these sort of problems every day, how you manage with those who are not so computer literate is beyond me.

Exactly what has happened to me, word for word except I am with AOL and I don’t have access to another email account. 😔

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I don’t have access to another email account. 😔

You could create a Gmail account to test it and hopefully prove it's not a problem from this end.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, AY Mod said:

You could create a Gmail account to test it and hopefully prove it's not a problem from this end.

I could, if I knew how to…..a good idea and I’ll give it a go, although it’s odd it has only been happening since the last major host change at RMWeb.

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Exactly what has happened to me, word for word except I am with AOL and I don’t have access to another email account. 😔

Just set up another email account with Google (gmail) , Yahoo or Outlook.com.  I would think you could even set up another email account with AOL.

You really want to have at least two email accounts, not just for testing things like this but also one to use as a throwaway email for those places you may go to only once to order stuff off the internet where they insist on opening an account and you supplying an email address,  which, with the sole purpose of using it to spam you for ever more.

I have four very active gmail addresses on the go at the moment for a multitude of different things.  Those unsubscribe links on some websites don't always work, in my experience the emails you don't want anymore stop for a little while then they start coming again  By having a throwaway email address you just delete the email account then open a new one and start again.

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Donington Road said:

Just set up another email account with Google (gmail) , Yahoo or Outlook.com.  I would think you could even set up another email account with AOL.

You really want to have at least two email accounts, not just for testing things like this but also one to use as a throwaway email for those places you may go to only once to order stuff off the internet where they insist on opening an account and you supplying an email address,  which, with the sole purpose of using it to spam you for ever more.

I have four very active gmail addresses on the go at the moment for a multitude of different things.  Those unsubscribe links on some websites don't always work, in my experience the emails you don't want anymore stop for a little while then they start coming again  By having a throwaway email address you just delete the email account then open a new one and start again.

I have three addresses on AOL but I am afraid of changing my email address in RMWeb again because last time it couldn’t send the confirmation of change through, I had message Andy and he confirmed it manually for me, he has enough to do without fiddling around with my problem.

• RMweb Premium

I just logged onto RMWeb through Chrome on my old PC and it came up with the message in notifications to enable push notifications, so I clicked it and it went to a "f**k me houston, we have a problem"

Never had issues before on the old PC

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well that’s nice, after the last RMWeb software update a day or so ago I am now getting forum topic reply notifications via my email, just as before the forum was moved to the new server/supplier whatever.

I didn’t do anything, so wasn’t my end 😉