Customer Service

Fircombehall

I had a faulty decoder in an Austerity Q1. It would not slow down, just kept going at full speed! The runaway train! It was a Gaugemaster decoder, so I contacted them. I appreciated it was out of warranty but I would like to give a shout out to Kevin Player of Gaugemaster who contacted me via email with suggestions and instructions on how to re-programme the decoder. He also gave me his phone number and said I could phone if I needed anything explaining. I thought this was excellent customer service and needed to be acknowledged.

David Hannan

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar scenario with some NCE decoders.  On DCC the loco would suddenly accelerate to full speed or change directions without input and no reduction in speed.  Disabling analogue running (CV29) was the fix.

14 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

I had a similar scenario with some NCE decoders.  On DCC the loco would suddenly accelerate to full speed or change directions without input and no reduction in speed.  Disabling analogue running (CV29) was the fix.

Thank you - will give it a go.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, runaways related to DC running are fairly common, particularly in response to a short elsewhere on the layout. I've found it particularly prevalent on Digitrax decoders. Definitely worth trying.

I've also had good service from Gaugemaster before, they repaired an old DC controller that was at least 30 years old. I know they have lifetime warranties, but even so... Just a shame the shop is so expensive, as to avoid undercutting their retailers, as they're my local shop.