ED10, Departmental Ruston 48DS

I thought I'd have a go at building a model of ED10. As you are probably all aware, this was a 3ft gauge Ruston 48DS that worked at Beeston Sleeper Works. It is now preserved at Irchester.

My main question here is what livery did it carry in BR service? As preserved, it is in BR Green, but I'm not sure if this is original. I haven't yet managed to find any photographs of it in BR service. Plenty as a preserved loco.

Any help gratefully received.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

There are two b/w photos in the IA book on BR Departmental locos, the loco has lining so probably supplied as standard Ruston olive green, lined on delivery in 1958. Land River green is close, b before  coating with creosote & grime!

I built one in 7mm scale (21mm gauge) but yet to paint it as I’m not finished with the chassis.

pm me for details if you like.

Dava 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Slow progress with ED10. Having now got a few photos of it in original condition, I have made a start. The body is basically complete, but it is apparent that I will need a new footplate as the 3ft gauge version is quite different from the Standard gauge footplate. I will have to make this from some 15 thou brass sheet. 

• Like 1