Zimo's new MS sound decoder range

dpgibbons

• RMweb Gold

Yes, the sound from the MS decoders is a significant improvement over the MX. A definite step forward.

I am installing an MS440 in a steam loco at the moment as a direct comparison with an MX645 in another of the same class with the same sounds.

I should be able to post a video soon.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

This is an MS500 with MINI BOX 8OHM 12X8X8MM speaker, it also comes with wires ready for a capacitor and mine came with a capacitor in the box but no space to fit it in the loco.

The speaker is installed in the cab space - using the older MX649 decoder it would be necessary to remove the top LED from the circuit board to get the body back on snug - but the M500 is about the same size as a small non-sound decoder so it fitted in the space in the board no problem and I was able to retain the lights just losing the basic cab interior.

• Like 3

Not sure my hearing is up to telling any difference, I do have another class 25 using the same speaker but with an MX649 so I might see if I can tell them apart but to be honest when I fired it up today I didnt notice any big difference.

One thing I did notice was that the inertia seemed greater and I had a long wait to see movement, in the end I turned it down a bit as it seemed too slow to react but I guess it did show the level of control the chip provides.

• RMweb Gold

It’s always been difficult to capture the true sound of a decoder on video - and the sound reproduction of the device you use to watch the video plays a part, of course.

All I can tell you is that I can hear a definite improvement in the depth and clarity of the sounds.

You’ll have to listen to one for yourself to make your own judgement. Or, just buy one, because the cost is roughly the same.

Edited by Harlequin