H&M 16 volt power sockets

hayfield

6 minutes ago, Tony Cane said:

These were known as wander plugs, size is 3mm diameter. They are rare and expensive these days

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363599726978?hash=item54a83b8982:g:bDAAAOSwkWRhfEOd

A possible alternative is here, but still costly.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325026453049?hash=item4bad161639:g:kHIAAOSwwAZh-QJA

Tony

Thank you If I can find the right one then as I have 3 mains units all with a 12 & 16 volt outputs I don't mind buying a dozen, did the units ever come with plugs ?

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Tony

Thank you If I can find the right one then as I have 3 mains units all with a 12 & 16 volt outputs I don't mind buying a dozen, did the units ever come with plugs ?

These any good?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used the 12v output with a SPROG and it gave intermittent faults. I suspect the supply is far from pure, stable 12v and would only use it with components that can tolerate such a supply. 

I seem to remember seeing posts which suggest these units don't comply with modern regulations. 

Looking at other posts, you should not dismantle the units due to the danger of asbestos. 

Edited by grriff

56 minutes ago, grriff said:

I used the 12v output with a SPROG and it gave intermittent faults. I suspect the supply is far from pure, stable 12v and would only use it with components that can tolerate such a supply. 

I seem to remember seeing posts which suggest these units don't comply with modern regulations. 

Looking at other posts, you should not dismantle the units due to the danger of asbestos. 

Using the 16V AC as a power source 

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Cane said:

The tradisional way of making the connections was to poke the wire in the hole and hold it in place with half a match stick.

I use a similar method, folding the inner conductor of my connecting wire back over the outer sheath and shoving it in the 'ole. Works fine if you get the wire gauge right; wouldn't use it for mission critical applications.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grriff said:

Analog controllers of any sort or vintage are totally inappropriate for powering a SPROG!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

5 hours ago, Tony Cane said:

As andy says I do not think they supplied plugs, as back in the day the wander plug was common in radio equipment and easy to source.

Aslo on EBAY these are a little cheaper.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253375502633

Just bought some of these for the same purpose. Now running a gaugemaster wander unit quite satisfactorily.

Although when I go to the item in my eBay it says out of stock on the listing.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 hours ago, hayfield said:

I need to use the 16 volt supply from a H&M controller, are the plugs required called banana plugs please

Hi John,

Can we ask what you are powering from it? The reason I ask is because the peak voltage will be much higher than 16 volts, at least 22.5 volts and likely to be quite a bit greater when lightly loaded.

Andy

8 hours ago, AndyID said:

Hi John,

Can we ask what you are powering from it? The reason I ask is because the peak voltage will be much higher than 16 volts, at least 22.5 volts and likely to be quite a bit greater when lightly loaded.

Andy

Andy I have 3 old H&M mains controllers, all have un controlled outputs on the sides, one side has a 12v DC the other has a 16v ac. Both are for powering accessories and use banana/wander plugs. The controlled 12 v dc outputs are screw terminals

7 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

I've got one or two kicking around if they are any use to you.

Ben

Thanks very much for the kind offer, temporally I found a couple in an odd box in the loft. Happy to buy them off you as spares

John

8 hours ago, AndyID said:

Hi John,

Andy

Andy

In case you are not familiar with these controllers, these are very old (60's/70's)  rheostat controllers, useful for the work bench, but the 16v ac is a power source for electronic controllers needing a 16v ac input

16 hours ago, hayfield said:

Andy

In case you are not familiar with these controllers, these are very old (60's/70's)  rheostat controllers, useful for the work bench, but the 16v ac is a power source for electronic controllers needing a 16v ac input

Thanks John.

Yes I remember the H&Ms very well. Just make sure the controllers you are powering from them can handle 20 volts AC without any problem.

Andy

• Like 1