Justification for the ‘three plus one rule’ in Inglenook Sidings layouts.

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

That was a good illustration of the way Instructions can easily become ambiguous.

Also a good example of getting things the wrong way round. If they had listed what was permitted, any incomers like the 46 would automatically not have been permitted.

The only worse way is to try to list both.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Also a good example of getting things the wrong way round. If they had listed what was permitted, any incomers like the 46 would automatically not have been permitted.

The only worse way is to try to list both.

It probably felt like harder work as permitted was probably a longer list than known barred.

Needing  to check and update regularly can easily be overlooked as a workload.
Paul.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

It probably felt like harder work as permitted was probably a longer list than known barred.

Paul.

The initial "permitted" list might have taken more effort to create but maintaining it would take less than maintaining a "barred" list, especially for unknown barred.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Paul.

Your latter point is part of the reason why I did away with supplements to the freight WTTs when I was in charge of freight planning on the WR.   Changes to traffic requirements meant that there was still a workload but I devised a far more efficient way of doing - saved a lot of money too.

I think the problem with the Bristol loco RA booklet was that somebody didn't think it through properly in the first place when the change was made from the earlier printed booklets to doing it on a typewriter and using the reprographic office to run off and bind the pages.  Plus they probably thought that the diesel types in use were going to be the same 'for ever'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/03/2022 at 23:00, Will Crompton said:

It's just struck me that Avon Street Sidings above were almost certainly inspired by Rob Owst's wonderful 7mm Peasevern Yard layout!:D

They were indeed, Avon Street was the original inspiration for Peafore Yard, I then refined the concept for Peasevern Yard.  It is a cracking layout to operate. 

• Like 2

On 24/04/2022 at 21:08, 37114 said:

They were indeed, Avon Street was the original inspiration for Peafore Yard, I then refined the concept for Peasevern Yard.  It is a cracking layout to operate. 

I have really enjoyed following your Peasevern Yard thread here. It's a wonderful layout. If I can ever produce something a tenth as good I would be more than happy!

Edited by Will Crompton
  • Thanks 1