Hint about SE&CR brake van

Paul.Uni

1 hour ago, phil-b259 said:

Indeed

Is the SECR going to be the 1st pre-grouping company where a compressive range (i.e. Locos, coaching stock and freight stock) is going to be available RTR?

I think the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway pips it to the post, with locos available from Heljan, carriages, wagons, and brake vans from Peco, and even some RTP buildings by Bachmann. All in pre-grouping guise! But as for standard gauge, maybe? Does pre-1923 GWR count?

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 2

.... Is the SECR going to be the 1st pre-grouping company where a compressive range (i.e. Locos, coaching stock and freight stock) is going to be available RTR?

Depends on how comprehensive you want ...... looking through Gould's bogie coaches book, there are approaching a hundred diagrams therein - and that excludes the birdcage-less sixty-foot sets ..... and all the four- and six-wheelers !

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Depends on how comprehensive you want ...... looking through Gould's bogie coaches book, there are approaching a hundred diagrams therein - and that excludes the birdcage-less sixty-foot sets ..... and all the four- and six-wheelers !

I wasn't going that deep - but 10 years ago the only way to model SECR was to kit / scratch build

Now you have some coaching stock (Bachmann's birdcage trio + Hatton's freelance efforts to come) 2 passenger locos (Hornby's H + Dapol's D) 1 goods loco (Bachmann C) and 1 shunter-ish loco (Hatton's P)and freight wagons (various manufacturers - some admiralty quite late), with a brake van from Rapido to come.

That may not be as comprehensive as the purists want - but what it does mean is someone can buy all the ingredients to make a SECR passenger and SECR freight train off the shelf.

Show me another pre-grouping company you can do that with.

By contrast although we have had locos from the Great Central say - there is sod all for them to pull (RTR wise)! The same is true of the Caledonian 812, the LBSCR Atlantic, the forthcoming Jones goods, etc

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Goods loco plus a goods brake seems a logical starting point as one can always fill the gap with wagons/vans from other companies (legend has it that the Midland had as many 5-planks as all the others combined) and PO coal wagons. Having got both ends covered, the in between bit can be added as required.

IIRC, the Great Central built some rather handsome 6-wheel goods brake vans, though possibly not long before the Grouping.

John

• Agree 2

I wasn't going that deep - but 10 years ago the only way to model SECR was to kit / scratch build

Now you have some coaching stock (Bachmann's birdcage trio + Hatton's freelance efforts to come) 2 passenger locos (Hornby's H + Dapol's D) 1 goods loco (Bachmann C) and 1 shunter-ish loco (Hatton's P)and freight wagons (various manufacturers - some admiralty quite late), with a brake van from Rapido to come.

That may not be as comprehensive as the purists want - but what it does mean is someone can buy all the ingredients to make a SECR passenger and SECR freight train off the shelf.

Show me another pre-grouping company you can do that with.

By contrast although we have had locos from the Great Central say - there is sod all for them to pull (RTR wise)! The same is true of the Caledonian 812, the LBSCR Atlantic, the forthcoming Jones goods, etc

Bachmann N class (only one run) in SECR grey and soon to be D1.

Little titch, the only SECR terrier has been done in RTR 3 times, once with ex Dapol tooling and again with newer tooling from both makes.

CDC models are offering a 3D printed+etched chassis G class in RTR. They also do R and R1 class 3D printed bodies painted in SECR liveries for jinty chassis (they sit high straight on the chassis but still better than the Dublo effort IMHO), not quite RTR but close enough for most.

On the LBSCR, Hornby's generic 4 wheelers have been done and are fairly close to LBSCR coaches in shape (doubtlessly too early for an Atlantic). We then have the odd wagon painted in LSWR and LBSCR colours even though not actually LSWR nor LBSCR diagrams. Brake/road vans, well the Hornby LBSCR model has been around since the 80s while the LSWR has seen both a Hornby and Kernow do models to all new standards. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JSpencer said:

CDC models ... also do R and R1 class 3D printed bodies painted in SECR liveries for jinty chassis (they sit high straight on the chassis but still better than the Dublo effort IMHO), not quite RTR but close enough for most.   ....

Does anyone know which presently available (preferably at bargain price) Hornby 0-6-0 model(s) have suitable chassis for use with the R1 body ?  (CDC website says "... specifically designed to fit the Chinese made Hornby 060 'Jinty' chassis (e.g R2942) , also used under their later J52 and J83 class bodies. ...)

Thanks

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

Does anyone know which presently available (preferably at bargain price) Hornby 0-6-0 model(s) have suitable chassis for use with the R1 body ?  (CDC website says "... specifically designed to fit the Chinese made Hornby 060 'Jinty' chassis (e.g R2942) , also used under their later J52 and J83 class bodies. ...)

Thanks

Not sure if it's 100% fool-proof, but I think a 4-digit R number might be a good indicator. 

John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phil gollin said:

Thanks

Any Jinty chassis from China and those made in the UK using SSPP traction tyres and "type 7" motor. Maybe the last x.03 motor 1980s types could pass as well but I have not tried them.

They do sit a couple of mm too high and I'm trying to figure out a way to lower them. But otherwise - for the price and time saved - they are really good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

Any Jinty chassis from China and those made in the UK using SSPP traction tyres and "type 7" motor. Maybe the last x.03 motor 1980s types could pass as well but I have not tried them.

They do sit a couple of mm too high and I'm trying to figure out a way to lower them. But otherwise - for the price and time saved - they are really good.

The CDC info on their eBay page does specify the use of a Railroad spec chassis.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/03/2022 at 16:10, woodenhead said:

Aint it always the way, that as soon as somone finally finishes his kit an RTR comes along...

I used to build 1/72nd Armoured Fighting Vehicles. After my 5th scratch build was yet again followed by a kit from a firm called ESCI I gave up! Hence railway modelling!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

The CDC info on their eBay page does specify the use of a Railroad spec chassis.

John

I know but as can seen below, I have 2 of them, left china made Jinty chassis, right UK made 1990s Jinty chassis. Both work fine.

R.jpg.cdc1e224853368b20544e68dbfc3e088.jpg

Left R class in SECR wainwright colours, right BR R1 in Whitstable cut down cab.

R1.jpg.8d6739dfa9f199c95acd5c76ea6ac10c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/03/2022 at 15:57, rapidoandy said:

Interestingly everyone says they are identical to the MR ones. Having studied the works drawings I can say they certainly were not identical.

"Inspired by" is perhaps the phrase one's looking for.

• Funny 4

• 4 weeks later...