Minitrix BR152 DCC Fault

TheEdge

I've got a second hand Minitrix BR152 (12647) which works fine on DC but when I try and fit a DCC chip it refuses to do anything.

I sat in a model shop today with another gent trying to work out the issue. We confirmed that with DC straight to the motor it all runs fine and checked the chip we had to hand and that was also working. A few queries come up. Firstly the paperwork claims its a NEM 6 pin socket but following some of the traces on the PCB we started to think that possibly the Minitrix SELECTRIX locos and chips are proprietary and wont work with a normal NEM chip. Is this the case? 

Someone else wandered in and made a claim that Minitrix locos like to blow diodes/transistors and those are probably bust and the PCB needs fixing or replacing. It sounded quite outlandish but is there any truth to it?

Assuming the socket is a normal NEM one and it is a PCB issue is hardwiring the best option at this point to get round whatever fault there is? And is that question for the normal DCC forum or can Trix locos be strange?

TIA