SBB EWIV coaches by Roco

TTDB

Hi all,

although my HO layout is mostly of DBAG and OBB stock I have managed to acquire over a period of time a nice rake of 6 SBB EWIV in as new livery and they are the 303mm exact 1/87 models. I also have a rake of them in BLS blue and cream and I know I will need modellers licence to use the BLS set in Southern Germany/Western Austria, however like another poster I’ve been watching YouTube contend for ideas for my layout and add the EWIV restaurant cars operating with OBB eurofimas in the 90s on the Arlberg line, was this only the restaurant cars or were any of the standard coaches also used? 
TIA

Brad

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TTDB said:

Hi all,

I have managed to acquire over a period of time a nice rake of 6 SBB EWIV in as new livery . I also have a rake of them in BLS blue and cream and I know I will need modellers licence to use the BLS set in Southern Germany/Western Austria, however like another poster I’ve been watching YouTube contend for ideas for my layout and add the EWIV restaurant cars operating with OBB eurofimas in the 90s on the Arlberg line, was this only the restaurant cars or were any of the standard coaches also used? 
TIA

Brad

Swiss EWIV were essentially designated as  internal-only  coaches, not generally used on international trains (for which various other types were used). Occasional exception, but it is not realistic to run EWIV on non-Swiss layouts

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Thanks 1

I seem to recall a picture of a Zürich - Stuttgart train made up of green/grey EW IVs and two all over green UIC-X or Z2 second class coaches. As Gordon states, they were not typical international coaches, but may have slipped in on the above service once the non aircon UIC-X & UIC Z2 were considered sub-par. That would have been in the early nineties before the arrival of the EC coaches.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/03/2022 at 09:55, chb2488 said:

I seem to recall a picture of a Zürich - Stuttgart train made up of green/grey EW IVs and two all over green UIC-X or Z2 second class coaches. As Gordon states, they were not typical international coaches, but may have slipped in on the above service once the non aircon UIC-X & UIC Z2 were considered sub-par. That would have been in the early nineties before the arrival of the EC coaches.

Yes - EW IV's to Stuttgart was a thing for a while. And apparently they've on occasion made it up to Hamburg (after ICE's were barred from service for a while), and Vienna (reason unclear) - according to this german-language discussion: https://www.1zu160.net/scripte/forum/forum_show.php?id=186660 From a technical perspective this likely would have been possible because many German and Austrian locomotives can supply the right voltage (1kV, 16.7Hz) - 

But indeed, as TTDB guessed - in general it's only the EW IV restaurants that made it abroad, as they were the only ones that are RIC compliant. I.e. the Eurocity trains with restaurants that have operated up until recently are made up of EC carriages with an EW IV restaurant.

All that said, there are some common exceptions. Konstanz is in Germany but is the end of the line for a Swiss IR route, so it sees all kinds of Swiss rolling stock (EW IV, IC 2000, various Dostos). Some might argue Jestetten counts but that's effectively a Swiss line.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1