Porthole coach in Ilfracombe yard

PeteN92

Hi guys my layout is based on Ilfracombe so I have the occasional inter regional train although the Lms isn't my area of expertise. 

IMG_20220317_220850.jpg.86034d12fbb8ebe3712caf52a5e04d85.jpg

I've found this picture with a coach sat In the sidings but can't tell what it might be due to only seeing half the coach. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks 

Pete

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

A Third. TK D2170. Looking at the no corridor side as there's no door.

Not a First or Composite as there's no 1 on the door (the composites had their First Class section at that end).

Not a Brake Third as the Brake Thirds were four compartment.

The only Portholes were :-

D2159  CK

D2160  FO

D2161  BTK

D2162  FK

D2168  BFK

D2170  TK

Most are available from Bachmann and Comet/Wizard.

Jason

It's strange that the coach is sitting in the goods yard head shunt and not the carriage sidings. That was hardly the most convenient or spacious overflow parking spot for a rake of coaches, so perhaps it was a strengthener coach, or temporarily out of service.

Edited by dpgibbons
  • Agree 1

On 17/03/2022 at 22:35, Steamport Southport said:

A Third. TK D2170. Looking at the no corridor side as there's no door.

Not a First or Composite as there's no 1 on the door (the composites had their First Class section at that end).

Not a Brake Third as the Brake Thirds were four compartment.

The only Portholes were :-

D2159  CK

D2160  FO

D2161  BTK

D2162  FK

D2168  BFK

D2170  TK

Most are available from Bachmann and Comet/Wizard.

Jason

Any idea if Bachmann do the D2170 TK I see wizard do it as a kit ? 

Cheers 

Pete 

• RMweb Gold
On 18/03/2022 at 14:08, Mallard60022 said:

LMS Coaches were sometimes 'borrowed' when on lay-over for a week in the Summer. Came down on a weekend Train and went back later as an extra, or the next weekend. Manchesters usually IIRC?

Phil 

IIRC the only inter regional trains at Ilfracombe were the regular tones from Taunton, one of which returned to Cardiff on summer Saturdays, and about five or six coaches which came in on the Wolverhampton - Minehead / Ilfracombe service on summer Saturdays. The stock for that came off the Wolvewrhampton Cannock Road circuits and stayed at Ilfracombe for the week. Stock was variable, I remember Stanier coaches appearing and one year the Minehead portion used to throw up a rake of Gresleys, still complete with 1930s style LNER carpet in the first class compartments and all of the original pictures, mirrors, light fittings etc. It was like an Agatha Christie time capsule and had probably been cascaded of the Eastern Region after being displaced by new Mk1 stock

On 18/03/2022 at 00:31, Steamport Southport said:

Probably a "cripple" with something like a hot axlebox then. 

It's a long way from LMR territory to Ilfracombe.

The regular Taunton trains could throw up a variety of stock from almost anywhere by 1960

The 1961 WTT for August Saturdays shows an LMR 9-coach set working in to Ilfracombe from Manchester Exchange. All the Wolverhampton and Taunton workings are listed as GWR carriage sets, though as noted above that would not have precluded foreign coaches in the formation.

On 19/03/2022 at 16:47, TheSignalEngineer said:

39-451 LMS 57FT PORTHOLE COACH CORRIDOR SECOND BR MAROON is possibly the one.

Although the coach in the photo is in LMS livery with BR numbering, Bachmann have not done this livery so you would need to change the cant rail lining to LMS the style.

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, markw said:

Although the coach in the photo is in LMS livery with BR numbering, Bachmann have not done this livery so you would need to change the cant rail lining to LMS the style.

The coach is in BR post-1956 livery.

It is not surprising that Bachmann have not done any in LMS livery as Porthole coaches were not built until 1949-50. Only the first batch of D2159 CKs to lot 1499 carried LMS Maroon with the double lining at the top but without the LMS branding. The number was in early BR style to the left end. (Source David Jenkinson and BR works photo).

Jenkinson notes that all remaining lots of Portholes were outshopped in Crimson / Cream 1949 livery. I don't know if any actually got the experimental liveries nefore the adoption of Crimson / Cream.