Dapol OO Gauge Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0

AY Mod

I like these and was planning to build the High Level kit. I would order this model but it seems that manufacturers never mention whether or not sound can be got into their small industrial engines. They ought to mention it, especially when they don't offer a sound-fitted model themselves. I don't want to buy only to find that I can't get sound in.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

OTOH I'd like to see mention of a flywheel in the spec - not that the Hornby Peckett needs one, and I remain interested - and it looks like both sound and flywheel are possible in the Dapol B4. We shall see.

Good news, although I still hold a candle for a HudswelI Clarke 0-6-0ST. I wonder if there's anything "out there" from the last attempt.

• Like 1

I’m beyond astonished to see Australian Iron and Steel’s Wallaby on that list. Nice to see it being considered (even if technically the wrong scale ;) )

A word to Dapol may have to be provided though-I’m almost certain it was never Blue in service, only being Blue in more recent years since being plinthed. 

5B0FCDEA-0576-4AA3-B233-6D8B59955E5C.jpeg.1371ec8656d3dda62e6d5b663bb0dfc2.jpeg

Edited by 69843
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Is there any information on the date range for each livery?

(Apart from Wallaby already discussed.)

Potted history of "Asbestos" which will be joining my Rapido "Holly Bank No3" on shed.

Delivered when new to Washington Chemical Company, County Durham, which became a subsidiary of the Turner and Newall Company Ltd. in 1920. A large industrial complex served by sidings and a half mile branch just south of Washington station on the line between Pelaw and Penshaw, the locomotive working here until 1933, when transferred to Turner and Newall, Trafford Park Works, Manchester.

The locomotive came to Chasewater in 1968 from the Turner and Newall factory, Trafford Park, Manchester, where asbestos was produced – hence the name.  The company asked for £100 for the loco and was asked if they could wait while the Preservation Society could organize a raffle, being short of funds.  Upon realizing the situation, the company generously waived the fee and donated the loco.

Shortly after its arrival at Chasewater, Asbestos became the first locomotive to steam on the railway.Chasewater Railway ran an “Asbestos Day Special” on 1st January 2012 from 10 am to 5 pm. This event marked the end of 1909 built Hawthorn Leslie No.2780 “Asbestos” 0-4-0ST’s  current time in traffic and it’s 10 year steam ticket. The one day event will see Chasewater’s favourite steam engine, 102 year old Asbestos providing traction. Resident loco RSH 0-6-0 No.7684 Nechells No.4 was also in steam to accompany Asbestos on her last day as was Barclay loco ‘Colin McAndrew’.  It was a time of celebration for the railway owned locomotive which is always very popular with our visitors, and it has been the main stay of service at the colliery line having arrived over 40 years ago. Shortly after the event Asbestos is going to be retired to undergo a heavy general overhaul. Subject to the required funds being raised we expect that the work needed to return it to traffic should take approximately three years to complete. We estimate that around £30,000 is needed to complete the project and in support of this, any profits made on the day will go into the locomotives fund. Any donations would be most welcome, and can be sent to the Chasewater Railway with the envelope marked “Asbestos Project” please

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

I can give date for Henry in the black with red lining ,it is only applicable from June 1986. Livery is incorrect when named Henry, she was in green when moved from Cortaulds to MSC to be renovated. The locomotive was orginally owned by Websters brickworks in Coventry and named Rosabelle. I seem to remember that as I was stripping  paint layers off the cab side I found a few shades of green, a maroonish colour and indication of pale yellow lining, before getting to a dark blue/black layer. The final colour of the loco was left to the renovation team, with a stipulation by Cortaulds that the "Henry" name was retained

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Is there any information on the date range for each livery?

(Apart from Wallaby already discussed.)

The livery described for Invincible appears to be the one she carried from 2001 until her most recent overhaul - if so, it’s supposed to be the livery of the Woolwich Arsenal Railway where she was based from new in 1915 until 1955.  (Whether the livery would have remained unchanged throughout that 40 year period or not, I don’t know.)

A6663827-61EE-42B1-9F94-BCEEC1B73D4C.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 5

15 hours ago, Covkid said:

<snip>

The locomotive came to Chasewater in 1968 from the Turner and Newall factory, Trafford Park, Manchester, where asbestos was produced – hence the name. 

<snip>

The factory in Trafford Park produced 'Asbestos Cement' products, such as corrugated roofing sheets.

Turners_Asbestos.jpg.4f31fe36041007ce542eb4526e63cc30.jpgTurners_2.jpg.d0d3eac742f6b4e2607264a7dca6f634.jpgTurners_3.jpg.53d7ea26b3a2d647f3371c593658053d.jpg

The mineral Asbestos was imported by ship to Manchester (Salford) docks, where it was transferred into Manchester Ship Canal open wagons (with very few safety precautions).

These would have been taken to the factory in Trafford Park by MSC locos, where 'Asbestos' and their other locos worked.

The other key ingredient was of course cement. Latterly this was supplied by rail in Presflos, I guess it came from Castleton/Hope but I'm not certain of that.

Turners had another similar but older HL, 'Turnall' HL2645/06:

Hawthorn Leslie 2645 Turners Asbestos Trafford Park TURNALL 28 Nov 1964

They also had a Planet, H3780/55, which outlasted the steam locos:

post-17261-0-32865900-1524239873.jpg.3eb26421362f7e542ff6ab903949a9ec.jpg

Hope that's of some interest. I'll await the 7mm scale version...

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

Just when I'd thought, 'Hurray, no more RTR locos to order for the foreseeable ....!'

A very welcome announcement.  An industrial to a design commencing in 1899 runs nicely in parallel with the Hornby 0-4-0 Peckett. Much as I love them, it will be nice to be able to run something other than just Pecketts!

My efforts to fill in some of the blanks in the Dapol descriptions got me to this, though I think condition/livery wise, the older locos are sometimes represented as later in their careers/preservation:

Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0ST "Henry" (2491/1901), Webster’s Brick and Lime Works, Coventry, as “Rosabel”. "Henry" after a change in ownership in 1928.
Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0ST "Asbestos" (2780/1909), Turner Brothers, Trafford Road, Manchester 
Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0ST "Wallaby" (2988/1913), G&C Hoskins, then Australian Iron & Steel Co.
Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0ST "Invincible" (3135/1915), Woolwich Arsenal
Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0ST No.56 (3176/1916), Port of London Authority.                       
Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0ST No.13 (3732/1927), Newcastle Electric Supply Co.
Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0ST "Faraday" (3793/1932), Newport Corporation  

I note the last two are outside the date range specified by Dapol. 

I do not know which particular loco the NCB version is to represent, but the NCB could have inherited such a loco in numbers from any colliery. 

Wallaby was in earlier years seen preserved in lined deep red/maroon. I don't know whether that was an -service livery, but I imagine to Dapol's eyes it would look too close to Invincible. If Dapol do produce this loco in the announced 'plinth-blue' livery, I wonder if that will include the KEEP OFF sandbox panel?!?

I drew a blank on 'Spider'.

From Slowsteamer's helpful comments, it seems that removing the Henry name plates might get you to something appropriate, if neither certain nor exact, for the original 1901 Rosabel livery. Rosabel or Rosabelle, BTW, I've seen both cited?

So, there we are, Just when you thought Life had nothing left to look forward to ....!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Wallaby was in earlier years seen preserved in lined deep red/maroon. I don't know whether that was an -service livery, but I imagine to Dapol's eyes it would look too close to Invincible.

From what a friend who used to work at the steelworks has dug up so far, the earlier preserved maroon is as it was in service, or close to. A couple of us are now having a dig around on it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, 69843 said:

From what a friend who used to work at the steelworks has dug up so far, the earlier preserved maroon is as it was in service, or close to. A couple of us are now having a dig around on it. 

Comme ça?

Wallaby1c.jpg.bb37aab3c7a86aebb8467165d4175a50.jpg

• Like 2

On 19/03/2022 at 13:13, Mark Dickerson said:

OTOH I'd like to see mention of a flywheel in the spec - not that the Hornby Peckett needs one, and I remain interested - and it looks like both sound and flywheel are possible in the Dapol B4. We shall see.

Good news, although I still hold a candle for a HudswelI Clarke 0-6-0ST. I wonder if there's anything "out there" from the last attempt.

If anyone fancies a go at this, I'm all for it.

The problem with He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named's announcement was that it was only going to be done with a modern, Grouping era, cab. If the cab module could be done in both early and late styles, that would take you, IIRC, back to the late 1880s and give you a similar longevity to this Hawthorn Leslie and the Peckett W4.

If, as someone has mentioned, the Dapol Hawthorn Leslie runs as well as its B4 - i.e. like a dream - then we are in for a treat.

Perhaps the Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST would be considered if the HL was to be the success I anticipate it will be.

Of course, if anyone ever announces a Manning Wardle K Class, I'd order all versions available. After I'd picked myself up off the floor, that is.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I wonder is Invincible was named after the battlecruiser that had quite a bit of good press in 1914 and 1915.

Unfortunately she blew up a year later at Jutland (but seemed to have taken out Lutzow as well albeit by slowly sinking).

Worked in the South East, then Isle of Wight preserved... hmmm

Like others, I'm wondering how easy she will be to add some sound. (The B4 isn't unless you replace the entire circuit board, the Dapol Terrier is dead easy though).

No rails/Dapol D1 for your fleet @Edwardian

• Like 3

Correct,  Invincible named after the Battlecruiser.

The Maroon livery is from Woolwich Arsenal days,  the loco is better known in green as a resident at Farnborough in the 50's and 60's.

Pete

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, IWCR said:

Correct,  Invincible named after the Battlecruiser.

The Maroon livery is from Woolwich Arsenal days,  the loco is better known in green as a resident at Farnborough in the 50's and 60's.

Pete

I've got a postcard of it in green.

One of a set made in the 1970s or very early 1980s of industrial locomotives. Not all were in industrial condition, some were preserved.

This is the photo.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johannes-j-smit/50207272982

Jason

• Like 3