RMweb - Change of hosting, missing images - April 2022

• AY Mod changed the title to RMweb - site outage and change of hosting - April 2022
  • AY Mod pinned this topic

I must be lucky in that in about 35 years of managing large IT systems I never had to deal with a outage such as this, as others have said it's mainly due to, what seems to be, extremely poor infrastructure management by Dediserve. 

An early IT manager of mine always looked at the worst outcomes and refused to have our backups in the same city so, and this was BR, sent tapes to Crewe from London a couple of times a week! The last datacentre application I managed was sold to us that although our main RAID arrays were in London, they were backed up in Leeds. From Andy's account of events at least he held the SQL etc..to enable this transfer, 

Well done at the RMweb team for dealing with this as they did.

Oddly the advert at the bottom of my first look at the site today was from IONIS saying "Need web hosting for
your next project? Choose a host with industry leading uptime."

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

To add to the comments already, glad it's all back up and running! I know the pain data loss can cause first hand, so to be able to recover to this position is fantastic! Thank-you for your hard work Andy!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Andy, something tells me that you wished you had taken your holiday now rather than a couple of weeks ago...(!). Sod the beer fund, you need a holiday fund!
In all seriousness, it's great to have RMweb back, and I dread to think how much stress this whole situation has caused you; and from many directions (all of which entirely preventable and/or unnecessary).
'Thanks' doesn't feel enough considering the dedication you have put into RMweb over the years, even whilst you're supposed to be on holiday. Your efforts are much appreciated!

The fact that anything was salvaged is impressive, and seems solely to be down to your foresight. Hopefully this is the start of a more stable and stress-free (OK, less stress - let's be realistic!) RMweb for you and the team.

• Like 13
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1