RMweb - Change of hosting, missing images - April 2022

• RMweb Gold

This is not an "are we there yet?" question as the answer would obviously be "No".

Approximately where are we with the  photo restoration?  Are we 50% there? or 10% there or even 90% there? or where?

• Agree 1

I agree Colin and would like to know how far we are down the route of replenishment of all the missing photos, PDF's etc.

On the 21st April I printed out my spreadsheet showing where I had made attachments.  Checking this again this morning show me that I have not had one photo added in that time, this is beginning to look more like NEVER than indefinite time period for any re-load of photos.

What else have I done.

Well I can see from the WayBack Machine [google it] all my missing photos are logged in there.  Is there a way for me to move them from there directly into my forum posts?  I suspect they are from before the crash and will be Dediserve based.

I am presently waiting for Invision to respond to me about the length of time they expect it will take for them to re-populate the data after a crash like this.  After all this is their business and they do this sort of thing frequently.  I've always found that some guidance is always given be it in % completed or time to go so I'm sure they must have some idea.

The way I used the forum was more as a reference and inform, update source but many of my stored info posts as PDF's or photos are missing making the forum use useless.

I don't know if there is a best practice for self help in restoring my photos but just waiting is not it either.

Back to knocking on Invisions door. 

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I've just had a funny!

Under new content a post from 9+ years ago was listed amongst those from the last 15 mins!

This:

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Under new content a post from 9 years ago was listed amongst those from the last 15 mins!

The bug's still there that if a blog/gallery/event entry is edited it jumps back into the timeline and if it's at the end of the page nothing appears after it until it's dropped off page 1.

• Informative/Useful 5

@AY Mod Andy, I've just had glitch too, very bizarre.  I hit 'Sign in' and was sent direct to Howard Smith's (moderator) profile page. Never, ever been there before so it cannot be in any cookie (I clear them out on shut-down anyway). Just flagging it for your attention.

I went back to the 'front page' and then signed in - though in my instance I still get the 'Euston, we have a problem - error 2S911/1' and have to log in twice - despite my earlier positive message. It reverted to the error message soon after but I decided to live with it as you have bigger fish to fry at the mo'.

Good luck,

Philip

• Informative/Useful 1

Dear Moderators,

The green banner mentioning about the ongoing resoration of lost pictures has gone. Have you given up? 

Should those still having the original pictures replace them now?

I just could not fully understand what was said on message dated Posted "Tuesday at 15:52" [Why not say 26.5.2022 at 15:52?] from "AY Mod". Should one touch old messages or not? Please tell in plain English so that us foreigners can also figure out what to do....

Also please tell us why RMWeb removes all EXIF etc data from the jpg images — including the Copyright field...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, PSi said:

Dear Moderators,

The green banner mentioning about the ongoing resoration of lost pictures has gone. Have you given up? 

Should those still having the original pictures replace them now?

On 24/05/2022 at 12:07, AY Mod said:

There is a dispute ongoing over what data was provided in the backup and its restoration. Leave it alone for now please.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/05/2022 at 11:45, Barnaby said:

Well I can see from the WayBack Machine [google it] all my missing photos are logged in there.  Is there a way for me to move them from there directly into my forum posts? 

If they are actually displayed when you look at the page you should be able to right-click and "Save as image…" but you would still have to import them back into your posts yourself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, PSi said:

No, we haven't. The space was required for what is there now.

1 hour ago, PSi said:

Please tell in plain English so that us foreigners can also figure out what to do....

You can replace old images if you wish or continue to wait.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, PSi said:

Also please tell us why RMWeb removes all EXIF etc data from the jpg images — including the Copyright field...

Because the system has to compress them because most users didn't.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

I think the replacement of images must be our own personal choice. Andy makes the position quite clear, but if you are impatient, like me, you can replace whatever you want, as I have done on my own layout thread, it wasn't a huge job, spread over a few weeks, but then it's not a huge thread! Keep up the good work.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Where are we now with the updating of all the lost data. "Continuing to wait" implies at some point the lost data will turn up?

My data showing has not changed from the first day back up after the change over of the server.  This failure to deliver any remaining data after the first flourish causes me think it will never happen as what was there has already been uploaded to the Forum.

Also AY has stated that there was a dispute going on about what data was provided in the backup, has that been resolved.

Who actually owns the content individuals place on the Forum?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

Who actually owns the content individuals place on the Forum?

Hi Mark,

You own the copyright in it, but you are giving Warners an irrevocable licence to do anything they like with it. See section 8:

http://www.warnersgroup.co.uk/about-warners-group/terms-conditions/

Martin.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

You own the copyright in it, but you are giving Warners an irrevocable licence to do anything they like with it. See section 8:

http://www.warnersgroup.co.uk/about-warners-group/terms-conditions/

All content is owned by the member, we just 'publish' it. We don't help ourselves to it for other use, it's something I'm very firm and clear on; if we are likely to use it in some form e.g. 'Show us yours'  I say so.

I'm also very clear about using content from elsewhere on RMweb. Those T&C's were to cover eventualities in other parts of the business; we certainly don't abuse it.

@Barnaby - discussion is still underway and I am waiting for further input.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

I'm now on RMweb Premium. One little niggle, the notifications that pop up at the bottom of the page have changed colour. Before the lettering was white or yellow on a black background, easily read. Now the lettering is a dark colour but still on a black background making it difficult to read.

• Moderators
15 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I'm now on RMweb Premium. One little niggle, the notifications that pop up at the bottom of the page have changed colour. Before the lettering was white or yellow on a black background, easily read. Now the lettering is a dark colour but still on a black background making it difficult to read.

Could you do me a screenshot please of what you're seeing Phil?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Could you do me a screenshot please of what you're seeing Phil?

The notifications don't appear for long enough for me to get a screen shot (at least with my ten thumbs). Its the bar that pops up at the bottom of the screen that tells me that someone else has posted on the thread that I'm looking at or that someone has rated a post that I have made.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

the bar that pops up at the bottom of the screen that tells me that someone else has posted

OK, I'll take a look using different permissions and themes to see why you're getting a different result from me.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

OK, I'll take a look using different permissions and themes to see why you're getting a different result from me.

The heading is in white and easy to read but the message is in colour, the last one was in bright green and just about readable but the colour appears to change with each one, dark blue or red are almost impossible to read.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I have also noted what @PhilJ W reported so can confirm it does occur. On the subject of notifications sometimes the blob on the bell at the screen top is green, sometimes it is red, but I haven't checked to see if that differs by type, for example  a reaction to a post as opposed to being quoted. (Edit: or differs between my phone/i-pad and the laptop).

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, john new said:

I have also noted what @PhilJ W reported so can confirm it does occur. On the subject of notifications sometimes the blob on the bell at the screen top is green, sometimes it is red, but I haven't checked to see if that differs by type, for example  a reaction to a post as opposed to being quoted.

So far it's always been green for me although the shade used (as displayed to me) makes it hard to read the white numeral contained.  Not that it really matters but just adding a little feedback.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1