LNER Dynamometer car - run 2!

rapidoandy

Rapido Trains UK is delighted to announce another run of the award-winning LNER Dynamometer Car No. 23591. Rails of Sheffield has generously given us permission to produce this new batch of models under the Rapido Trains UK banner and we plan to produce two liveries not previously offered.

1308653045_DynoCar.jpg.d87eb62901564261cdb7512dde8cc237.jpg

Best known as the vehicle that recorded the 126mph run of LNER ‘A4’ No. 4468 Mallard  on July 3 1938, the North Best known as the vehicle that recorded the 126mph run of LNER ‘A4’ No. 4468 Mallard  on July 3 1938, the North Eastern Railway’s test car, built at Darlington Works in 1906, is now on display at the National Railway Museum, where it has been reunited with Mallard.

A Dynamometer Car scientifically measures the performance of locomotives in order to effect improvements. Inside, instruments measure the speed, power and other statistics of locomotive performance, many of which were applied to a paper trace operated mechanically from the movement of the vehicle. The NER’s vehicle was also equipped with a drop-down bed hanging in the ceiling for operators to sleep in. It was also fitted with equipment to allow operators to speak to the driver. speak to the driver. 

No. 23591 passed into LNER ownership after the Grouping of 1923 where Chief Mechanical Engineer Sir Nigel Gresley used it extensively to test his new designs and modifications against established locomotives. It was even used behind the UK’s only steam-diesel hybrid locomotive! 

uknews15-720px-12c.jpg.22b07f928c83d4c44017c78391d59584.jpg

The Dynamometer car and its paper trace recorded Mallard’s top speed of 126mph on Stoke Bank in 1938. The vehicle eventually passed into British Railway ownership and continued to be used for scientific testing including the famous 1948 Locomotive Exchange Trials. The Dynamometer Car is now preserved as part of the National Collection at the NRM in York. 

Two versions have been produced, depicting No. 23591 in July 1938 LNER teak condition, as it was during Mallard’s Based on detailed research of the prototype, archive photographs and official drawings, this model featured exceptional interior and underframe detail, including depictions of the recording equipment and the additional speed recording wheel between the bogies. No wonder it was voted by the readers of Model Rail magazine as ‘Coach of the Decade’ in its Model of the Decade awards! 

We’re producing three new versions, two of which have never been produced before:

No. 23591, LNER teak finish with lining. This covers the glory days of LNER high speed running from 1928 to 1938. Optional duckets will be supplied to allow for modifications made prior to Mallard’s record breaking run. (Preliminary artwork – subject to change.)

729932442_935001LNER.jpg.8800959428398ea0877c0c335373d535.jpg

No. 905202, post-1946 LNER teak with lining carrying its later number – No. 905202 – as seen during the famous 1948 Locomotive Interchange trials.  (Preliminary artwork – subject to change.)

1359481352_935002LNER.jpg.d497d74fef43f3a90adf9d6fc178387c.jpg

No. E905202 in British Railways faux teak finish with BR Gill Sans lettering. This livery was applied in 1949 and can be seen when the Dynamometer Car was used on trials with Bulleid’s famous ‘Leader’ locomotive. (Preliminary artwork – subject to change.)

1742931918_935003BR.jpg.42a17a32708ceebd18109db05b1b98a8.jpg

Whilst the original model may have been award-winning Rapido are always striving to improve our models and this batch will feature improved decoration including adding the correct lining, amended roof colours, improved lettering and a whole new livery where appropriate.

RRP for these models are £135.95. These are already in production and are selling fast. Order yours today direct from us or from any Official Retailer. 

Edited by rapidoandy
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

With the updates & improvements I think Rapido have done a great job keeping the RRP not far off the first run.  

Looking forward to picking up No. 23591!

• Like 1

Lovely to see these back!

Is they grey roof now part of the spec? If so, I'm tempted

It would seem that 905202 in 1948 condition is very close to the preserved coach. Is there anything major in the way of differences (somewhere in the original thread for these someone mentioned a slight difference in lettering when it was restored)>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Did it ever actually run like that, or is this a "Might Have Been" livery?  I was under the impression that it retained the LNER teak finish during its service with BR.

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, 31A said:

Did it ever actually run like that, or is this a "Might Have Been" livery?  I was under the impression that it retained the LNER teak finish during its service with BR.

Read the Rails blurb - it's a what-if livery.

CJI.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

The factory are making great progress with the next batch of Dynamometer cars.

Lining and lettering is being added to the bodyshells whilst the interiors and underframes are being assembled. Not long until they are ready!

381701395__20220621160012.jpg.d73ce39cf1d697012e21920cc32d652e.jpg

1345449545__20220621161129.jpg.7c01410783deeba984c6afb2c8115ed8.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/06/2022 at 14:13, teaky said:

Looking good.

How do I sign up to swap my unlined 'run 1' car for one with the "correct lining" ?

My understanding was that it was produced correctly as it models the current condition. However, the current condition does not reflect the condition during the speed record.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, E100 said:

My understanding was that it was produced correctly as it models the current condition. However, the current condition does not reflect the condition during the speed record.

One of the models in the first release was of the post war car which is the condition the dynamometer car was restored to.  Another was of the pre war version which ought to have been lined.  This was pointed out at the time by @MikeTrice and others.  The term "correct lining" was a direct quotation from Rapido's post, who seem belatedly to have come around to accepting that the first run was incorrect.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Please remember the first run was a commission - and as such it was produced the way they wanted it.

This run is solely our responsibility as it’s a general release and as it happens Mike Trice has kindly been helping us.

Andy

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

Please remember the first run was a commission - and as such it was produced the way they wanted it.

This run is solely our responsibility as it’s a general release and as it happens Mike Trice has kindly been helping us.

Andy

Thank you for clarifying that, Andy.

It is good to know that you've involved Mike this time.  It is a pity he wasn't listened to by Rails and/or Rapido the first time around but that is in the past now and I am resigned to having to line the coach myself eventually as well as correcting the other painting flaws.

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, teaky said:

Thank you for clarifying that, Andy.

It is good to know that you've involved Mike this time.  It is a pity he wasn't listened to by Rails and/or Rapido the first time around but that is in the past now and I am resigned to having to line the coach myself eventually as well as correcting the other painting flaws.

Are you not tempted to just flog it before the new run comes out and get one of the updated ones instead?

• Agree 3

21 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Andy

As Andy has mentioned my involvement I will state that from the production artwork I have seen it will not disappoint.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Corbs said:

Are you not tempted to just flog it before the new run comes out and get one of the updated ones instead?

For gawds sake don't suggest that, I am considering doing it and don't want the market flooded :D

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Corbs said:

I can't deny it is something I have considered but this is just one item on a lengthy to do list.

Now if RapidoAndy was to offer me a reasonable part-exchange though ... 🤔

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Personally - I’d love to see one! I did one of my university essays on said locomotive and have the intention or one day writing a small book about it.

If someone does I they can take my money!

Oh - all the new dyno cars on my desk look stunning. I will post some photos tomorrow.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1