Bachmann MCC (Model Collect Create) Centre - Hinckley

AY Mod

Just now, Phil Parker said:

I can't resist - go on, WHERE is this overwhelming evidence?

Very easy look at the BBC news and theron needs no resistance , I am refering to the general world situation , not the cosy world that very few  live in with large blinkers attached.

As I have already said nothing to do with Toy prices.

• RMweb Premium

Some peoples need to get out into the real world and see the prices of all good rising, steel mills are quoting 15 minutes b4 out of date, such commodities as black rubber will go through the roof as Ukraine product 35% of the WORLDS demand etc etc etc shipping costs are going through the roof, China is in lockdown and we can’t get answers to when products will be available to despatch and then we get the perpetual groans about costs, I feel for these guys, trying to innovate against a backdrop rising cost, but we want to live in the days of Lima prices 

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, micklner said:

I am refering to the general world situation

No you weren't, you were being your usual Jeremiah self specifically about Bachmann. Just leave us to enjoy our lives as we choose.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Global said:

I think the idea is a good one, my only concern - and I get why they’re doing it - is that Bachmann RRP could, I imagine, put as many people off the hobby as the shop concept attracts! 

The concept works for the rebranded "Warhammer" stores (previously "Games Workshop") where they only sell their own products at full RRP. Have you seen the prices there - no discounts and customers queuing up for the new releases.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

The first recorded price moan I can find was in 1946. The writer basically said the same thing you have just done, yet the hobby is still here 76 years later. 

Reducing detail sounds like "Design clever", which didn't exactly pan out well. Letting people put the details on sounds like ViTrains - met with howls because putting a pre-made handrail into pre-drilled holes is (according to many posters) too difficult.

None of the new entrants to the hobby have gone down the chaep'n'cheerful route, which I think tells us something about the shape of the market. You'd think a number of "experts" on here could enter the market with a budget range and mop up all the money in the hobby, yet it hasn't ever happened.

The price arguments are endless, and utterly fruitless.

I'm old enough to remember what people were saying about the end of the hobby when r-t-r locos hit the £20 level - let alone what was said when they hit the £100 level and so on, ad bloomin' infinitum.  No amount of moaning will ever make a difference and it just adds even more mutterings to transfer every time a server breaks (which hopefully is now behind RMweb).  The market - not the shouting - will decide, the way in which people have and use their disposable income.

If - as seen on a tv programme the other night - someone is prepared to pay £200 for a diecast model of a lorry which will henceforth sit in a display case or £100 (or much more) for a piece of pasteboard one third  the size of a postcard there really is no logical way of accounting for what folk spend on their hobbies.  And whatever happens in the wider economy people will almost always find some money to spend on their most important hobby interests.  I've said it before and I'll say it again - the Hornby-Dublo 'Castle' I received one Christmas many years ago cost my father more than a week's wages; that means it would come in at well over £500 on today's average earnings.  And back then ordinary living costs took a higher percentage of people's incomes than they are doing right now, notwithstanding recent increases in such costs.

Some of us have seen and heard it all before, several times over - nothing new, time to move along PLEASE!

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

And for those of you who think Bachmann trains just simply cost too much, well here we have the new range of whittle it yourself stock.  All you need to whittle your own trainset including wood, knives, saws, files, paint, wheels and transfers.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• Moderators
1 minute ago, The Stationmaster said:

And, just for RMweb readers, the stock even includes self-assembly wooden spoon kits

But, but, but, but they're cheaper at Poundland.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

21 hours ago, Legend said:

Of course not. But at Bachmann RRP we are some distance from making a loss .

Somewhere, possibly on one of the earlier iterations if the site, is a long discussion from the first of the RPI+ price increases from Bachmann where it emerged that they had indeed been selling at a loss. They aren't going to make that mistake again.  There's also the issue of discounting your own stuff and undercutting your trade customers in the process- Hornby were rightly vilified for that when they tried it. 

I'm all in favour of challenging manufacturers for unnecessarily over-speccing things or just taking the mickey, but generally RRP is what it is. If that means you can't  afford if then you can't afford it, sorry.  I'd quite like a 22 plate Honda CRV EX with alloys and leather trim but I haven't got 40 grand so I've got a second hand Jazz. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

as Hinckley is my local town i popped in today. Until i started spotting more and more Bachmann products i had no idea what it was, i had a long conversation with an employee and they explained what they are trying to do. I like the concept, i like the shop, its nicely laid out, it's clean and it has a great selection of stock, i'd say more towards modeling than RTR stuff (it would be a tier one without doubt to answer someone's sarcastic question). 

The rolling stock and loco's is RRP, do i see that putting people off new to the hobby, not really.  I suspect most would simply note what they like the look of, go home and google it, in the processing finding the item(s) allot cheaper.

For me the Woodland Scenics range is the star of the show, as is the hands on modelling help, you can take your model down and they will help you build it or scenic something etc.

Someone mentioned interesting buildings, the town is a dump and is going down hill faster than a lead balloon, it has little offer now unfortunately.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Without setting the cat amongst the pigeons, I'd like to point out that brand spanking Oxford Rail products are currently available for less than half what Bachmann are asking. What's more is that they probably come out of the same factory and arrive in the UK on the same ship. 

Just some food for thought from someone who can barely afford food let alone trains!

Regards Shaun

• Like 2

• Administrators
6 hours ago, daltonparva said:

'Scuse me Mods, but why are you duplicating topics. Please cancel Mr Parker's effort, and tell him he should know better.

(I'm now going to copy & paste  this on t'other one, change the name, and watch you cancel each other out).

It's a difficult one - this is a model shop, so I set up a thread in Model Shops, but it's run by Bachmann, hence it's appearance here.

• Like 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Without setting the cat amongst the pigeons, I'd like to point out that brand spanking Oxford Rail products are currently available for less than half what Bachmann are asking. What's more is that they probably come out of the same factory and arrive in the UK on the same ship. 

And your point is?

David H was explicit - the store sells at RRP because they won't undercut the retail trade. He even pointed out that if someone looks at something in the shop, searches for it on their phone, then buys from someone cheaper, he's happy. That's not just altruism, it's good business as it's still a sale for Bachmann. This ISN'T a factory discount shop, it's a different beast.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Phil Parker said:

And your point is?

David H was explicit - the store sells at RRP because they won't undercut the retail trade. He even pointed out that if someone looks at something in the shop, searches for it on their phone, then buys from someone cheaper, he's happy. That's not just altruism, it's good business as it's still a sale for Bachmann. This ISN'T a factory discount shop, it's a different beast.

hit the nail on the head.
You can also buy something on the Bachmann site and do a click and collect from the shop

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

What's more is that they probably come out of the same factory

Trust me, they don't.

Look at the difference in paint jobs aside from anything else.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Trust me, they don't.

Oh goody, let's have a discussion about the quality of models, I know where this will be heading.

Tut tut Andy, put your can opener away!!

Mike.

• Funny 4

On 01/04/2022 at 16:58, Phil Parker said:

The first recorded price moan I can find was in 1946. The writer basically said the same thing you have just done, yet the hobby is still here 76 years later. 

Reducing detail sounds like "Design clever", which didn't exactly pan out well. Letting people put the details on sounds like ViTrains - met with howls because putting a pre-made handrail into pre-drilled holes is (according to many posters) too difficult.

None of the new entrants to the hobby have gone down the chaep'n'cheerful route, which I think tells us something about the shape of the market. You'd think a number of "experts" on here could enter the market with a budget range and mop up all the money in the hobby, yet it hasn't ever happened.

The price arguments are endless, and utterly fruitless.

To be fair , did you ever try and put the details on a Vi ?  Absolute junk plastic badly formed lamp irons, into holes that didn’t match - that’s what put people off - not that it was “ too hard “, just that the bits were “ too rubbish “

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Trust me, they don't.

Noted! 

The point I was trying to make is that it's good to have a cheaper range of products out there. The cheaper stuff obviously sells just as well even the Railroad range some of which is great for the average modeler who wishes to add that extra detail or repaint etc.

The last RTR train added to my collection was a J27. Nothing wrong with it to my eye. I just hope the drive gear doesn't snap like it did on the 7F. I usually weather everything quite heavily anyway!

It should be pointed out that my personal situation is quite different to most and I'd much rather scratch build something or detail up an old kit. Bachmann products are very good quality I grant you, but they are way out of my price range and have been for quite some time!

Regards Shaun 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

To be fair , did you ever try and put the details on a Vi ?  Absolute junk plastic badly formed lamp irons, into holes that didn’t match - that’s what put people off - not that it was “ too hard “, just that the bits were “ too rubbish “

Yes. I wrote an article for Hornby Mag explaining the process. There were plenty of complaints that it was all "too hard", mainly because you might have to look at a photo of the real thing to know the cab handrails went beside the cab doors and not up your nose. Got paid for that one, and a couple of locos from the HM stash. Happy days!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

4 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Noted! 

The point I was trying to make is that it's good to have a cheaper range of products out there. The cheaper stuff obviously sells just as well even the Railroad range some of which is great for the average modeler who wishes to add that extra detail or repaint etc.

Without dragging the debate further - Oxford are now majority owned by Hornby - first Lyndon Davies took on the role at Hornby and that effectively reduced Oxford Rails' impact on the model railway scene.  If Lyndon Davies had thought offering a cheaper range of models so important he would have carried the idea over to Hornby.  He didn't and Hornby is now up there with Bachmann - the demand for finely detailed RTR models is clear and the price that goes with them is the price.  There are still Railroad models but now even there they are a small part of the offering and there is a higher tier RailRoad + now in the range too for higher priced items.

• Agree 1

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Caption time?

image.png.da7bc32decbbea781ac2457c195a9c4c.png

Laydeeez and Gentlemen, I present to you,,,,,,,,,,,

Mike.

I spent time trying to persuade people that an inter-magazine pinecar race at Warley would be a good idea. I'm up for it, so it Andy and Richard from HM. Basically, I've always wnted an excuse to try this stuff since I saw it in the Bachmann America catalogue!

So, lobby Bachmann and let's make this happen. Wooden Wacky Races in the West Midlands.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1