Interesting Traction + route suggestions - Avanti/TPE/Scotrail/Cross Country

Good afternoon. Excited to have RMweb back!

My partner and I are going to be in Northern England and Scotland in late May and early June. For most of if we're travelling without a hire car for the first time in years, as my kids aren't coming with us so we're travelling light.

We have a few train trips planned, and some other potentials. What I'd love from the RMweb hive mind is if there are particular days/times/routes where we can go on a diversity of traction, and potentially see some interesting stuff enroute too.

Glasgow to Carlisle - planning a roundtrip - and was thinking Avanti one direction, TPE the other, to get different traction.

Glasgow to Edinburgh - at least three options, right? Two Scotrail, one Cross Country. What would be some key tips here? I've never been on a 385, so that's interesting for me - doesn't need to be a top-tailed 37! (incidentally my last UK train trip on the Waverney line was top-tailed 37s). Cross country seems less environmentally friendly as diesel traction, but the train's going to be running anyway with or without us... Looks like a cross country ticket would be much cheaper though. And route is different?

Glasgow to Falkirk or Stirling or Bulloch or Wemyss Bay - thoughts/opinions?

While in the Lake District I'm going to try and persuade my partner on the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway, but I've been told this "isn't a railway trip", so I'm trying to use our multiple train journeys to maximise my enjoyment. 

Note, the next visit I'm going to insist on Manchester to York by TPE, as that's a 68 with MK5s right? I have a soft spot for TPE livery, and desperately want to do some loco hauled traction at some point (not been behind a 68!).

Thank you all for suggestions.

1 hour ago, caradoc said:

If you haven't already done or planned it I would thoroughly recommend a trip over the Forth Bridge; Preferably in a Scotrail HST but other trains are available ! 

That is a great suggestion - going to see if I can line up the timings for a quick back-and-forth-over-the-forth. If we can get across, then run across to another platform for the return train - and it's maybe one hour total, I can probably get buy-in. But I don't want it to take away from other plans we have in Edinburgh that day.

6 hours ago, Nova Scotian said:

Glasgow to Carlisle - planning a roundtrip - and was thinking Avanti one direction, TPE the other, to get different traction.

Bear in mind Avanti are down to hourly and the previously two-hourly TPE Glasgow service is down to just 3 per day.

Glasgow to Edinburgh - at least three options, right? Two Scotrail, one Cross Country. What would be some key tips here? I've never been on a 385, so that's interesting for me - doesn't need to be a top-tailed 37! (incidentally my last UK train trip on the Waverney line was top-tailed 37s). Cross country seems less environmentally friendly as diesel traction, but the train's going to be running anyway with or without us... Looks like a cross country ticket would be much cheaper though. And route is different?

There are more than 3 routes, but two have had the services decimated to a mere handful of early morning/late evening services. The 2 main routes are Glasgow Queen Street-Falkirk High-Edinburgh Waverley which is presently only half-hourly and uses 385s. The other is Glasgow Central-Shotts-Edinburgh Waverley which also uses 385s and is presently down to hourly and by stopping everywhere is almost twice as long. These are both ScotRail worked routes.

The Glasgow Central-Carstairs-Edinburgh Waverley route previously had a two-hourly CrossCountry (XC) and two-hourly ScotRail have been cut. The ScotRail service is basically peak only (mostly 380s but odd 385), and the XC service (usually 220/221 Voyagers) is down to 4 each say mostly running early morning/late evening. There is also the one daily LNER service (Class 801 Azuma) to from London King's Cross but this runs very early from Glasgow and late back.

There is also Glasgow QS Low Level via Airdrie and Bathgate to Edinburgh Waverley, this uses 334 EMUs but is very much a suburban/commuter route. The last route, Glasgow QS-Cumbernauld-Falkirk Grahamston-Edinburgh Waverley is cut to one per day I understand.

Glasgow to Falkirk or Stirling or Bulloch or Wemyss Bay - thoughts/opinions?

If you appreciate architecture - Wemyss Bay is a no-brainer, it is an absolutely stunning station. The village itself is small but has a few pubs and cafes.

Note, the next visit I'm going to insist on Manchester to York by TPE, as that's a 68 with MK5s right?

The Manchester Airport-Redcar Central service (which is what TPE provide Manchester-York) are all 185s at the minute, I don't believe that's changing in May but I could be wrong.

16 hours ago, Nova Scotian said:

That is a great suggestion - going to see if I can line up the timings for a quick back-and-forth-over-the-forth. If we can get across, then run across to another platform for the return train - and it's maybe one hour total, I can probably get buy-in. But I don't want it to take away from other plans we have in Edinburgh that day.

Day Return to Inverkeithing, never too long to wait to get back and it is a stunning trip especially with the new road bridge alongside as well 😀

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

Bear in mind Avanti are down to hourly and the previously two-hourly TPE Glasgow service is down to just 3 per day.

There are more than 3 routes, but two have had the services decimated to a mere handful of early morning/late evening services. The 2 main routes are Glasgow Queen Street-Falkirk High-Edinburgh Waverley which is presently only half-hourly and uses 385s. The other is Glasgow Central-Shotts-Edinburgh Waverley which also uses 385s and is presently down to hourly and by stopping everywhere is almost twice as long. These are both ScotRail worked routes.

The Glasgow Central-Carstairs-Edinburgh Waverley route previously had a two-hourly CrossCountry (XC) and two-hourly ScotRail have been cut. The ScotRail service is basically peak only (mostly 380s but odd 385), and the XC service (usually 220/221 Voyagers) is down to 4 each say mostly running early morning/late evening. There is also the one daily LNER service (Class 801 Azuma) to from London King's Cross but this runs very early from Glasgow and late back.

There is also Glasgow QS Low Level via Airdrie and Bathgate to Edinburgh Waverley, this uses 334 EMUs but is very much a suburban/commuter route. The last route, Glasgow QS-Cumbernauld-Falkirk Grahamston-Edinburgh Waverley is cut to one per day I understand.

If you appreciate architecture - Wemyss Bay is a no-brainer, it is an absolutely stunning station. The village itself is small but has a few pubs and cafes.

The Manchester Airport-Redcar Central service (which is what TPE provide Manchester-York) are all 185s at the minute, I don't believe that's changing in May but I could be wrong.

The 68 and Mark 5s are used on Scarborough to York service - but not all!

At this distance in time it is difficult to plan; the timetables for stock control appear to change frequently at the moment. 

Paul

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Iron Horse said:

Day Return to Inverkeithing, never too long to wait to get back and it is a stunning trip especially with the new road bridge alongside as well 😀

Yeah, I'm looking at North Queensferry, to get a view of the bridge off the bridge, and it's only 10 minutes before going back the other way. At about 12 quid for two adults (return) that seems pretty worthwhile to me, and will be about an hour out of our day

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

1 hour ago, hmrspaul said:

The 68 and Mark 5s are used on Scarborough to York service - but not all!

At this distance in time it is difficult to plan; the timetables for stock control appear to change frequently at the moment. 

Paul

When I looked at our schedule I think I can make an early cross country glasgow to edinburgh work (though a voyager isn't that exciting for me) - followed by a scotrail return on a 385. I'd like to do Shotts, but it may not be worth the extra travel time - it depends on whether we do a Falkirk day or not.

334 is interesting... I've not been on a Juniper since the Darth Vader Gatwick express. Central and Queen stations aren't far apart, so I'm happy with either. I think a 385 would be more interesting to me though.

Appreciate the plug for Wemyss Bay - we both like architecture and thought we'd then go to Rothesay and go across to the Isle of Bute. Funnily enough I used to live in a place called Rothesay in Canada.

Thank you both for feedback on TPE 68s... looks like a crapshoot at present - hopefully a bit more predictable in late August (when I bring my kids across) or by next summer. Is there anywhere guaranteed to be a 68 + mk5s?

14 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

When I looked at our schedule I think I can make an early cross country glasgow to edinburgh work (though a voyager isn't that exciting for me) - followed by a scotrail return on a 385.

0748 off Glasgow Central, so it's not dreadfully early.

15 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

I'd like to do Shotts, but it may not be worth the extra travel time - it depends on whether we do a Falkirk day or not.

The mainline via Falkirk High os probably better, though there is some reasonable scenery going via Shotts. Likely best left until December when apparently the via Shotts semi-fasts will return abd journey times will be 30 mins quicker.

16 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

334 is interesting... I've not been on a Juniper since the Darth Vader Gatwick express. Central and Queen stations aren't far apart, so I'm happy with either. I think a 385 would be more interesting to me though.

The 385 is probably more comfortable as well, being more an outer suburban unit with proper tables and more than one toilet.

17 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

Appreciate the plug for Wemyss Bay - we both like architecture and thought we'd then go to Rothesay and go across to the Isle of Bute. Funnily enough I used to live in a place called Rothesay in Canada.

If you've the time or inclination, Wemyss Bay is worth a short visit. If you like books, there is an excellent second hand bookshop in the station as well.

18 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

Thank you both for feedback on TPE 68s... looks like a crapshoot at present - hopefully a bit more predictable in late August (when I bring my kids across) or by next summer. Is there anywhere guaranteed to be a 68 + mk5s?

Most, but not all, York-Scarborough shuttles.

These are the current diagrams:

Diagram 1
5F48 0443 Longsight-Manchester Victoria
1F48 0554 Manchester Victoria-Liverpool LS
1E25 0654 Liverpool LS-Scarborough
1F66 1234 Scarborough-York
1E35 1420 York-Scarborough
1T78 1834 Scarborough-York
1E49 2117 York-Scarborough
Stables Scarborough

Diagram 2
1F52 0534 Scarborough-York
1E21 0707 York-Scarborough
1F60 0934 Scarborough-York
1E29 1120 York-Scarborough
1F68 1334 Scarborough-York
1E37 1520 York-Scarborough
1F74 1634 Scarborough-York
1E43 1820 York-Scarborough
1P94 2034 Scarborough-Manchester Air
5H84 2343 Manchester Air-Lonsight
Stables Longsight

Diagram 3
5E41 1506 Longsight-Manchester Picc
1E41 1529 Manchester Picc-Scarborough
1T92 1934 Scarborough-Leeds (via CFD) SX
1T51 2124 Leeds-Scarborough (via CFD) SX
1T92 1934 Scarborough-York SO
1T51 2200 York-Scarborough SO
Stables Scarborough

Diagram 4
1F54 0634 Scarborough-York
1E23 0803 York-Scarborough
1F62 1034 Scarborough-York
1E31 1220 York-Scarborough
1F72 1534 Scarborough-Manchester Vic
5H72 1800 Manchester Vic-Longsight
Stables Longsight

These apply from the May timetable change (subject to the usual caveats re last minute changes):

Diagram 1
1F52 0534 SCA-LIV (0834)
1E29 0854 LIV-SCA (1151)
1F66 1234 SCA-LIV (1531)
1E43 1554 LIV-SCA (1851)
1K90 1934 SCA-MAN (2159)
5H90 2229 MAN-XML (2240)
Stables Longsight

Diagram 2
1F54 0634 SCA-LIV (0932)
1E31 0954 LIV-SCA (1251)
1F68 1334 SCA-LIV (1631)
1E45 1654 LIV-SCA (1951)
1P94 2021 SCA-MIA (2328)
5H84 2344 MIA-XML (0024)
Stables Longsight

Diagram 3
5P59 0347 XML-MCV (0448)
1P59 0500 MCV-YRK (0640)
1T21 0702 YRK-SCA (0753)
1F58 0834 SCA-LIV (1134)
1E35 1154 LIV-SCA (1450)
5F74 1510 SCA-SCA (1620)
1F74 1634 SCA-LIV (1932)
1E51 1954 LIV-SCA (2251)
Stables Scarborough

Diagram 4
5E23 0513 XML-MCV (0619)
1E23 0630 MCV-SCA (0852)
1F60 0934 SCA-LIV (1232)
1E37 1254 LIV-SCA (1551)
5E37 1540 SCA-SCA (1750)
1F78 1834 SCA-MCV (2059)
1E53 2115 MCV-SCA (2352)
Stables Scarborough

Diagram 5
5B62 0437 DON-SHF (0500)
1B62 0521 SHF-CLE (0716)
1B69 0727 CLE-MAN (1002)
1B72 1018 MAN-CLE (1255)
1B81 1324 CLE-MAN (1602)
1B84 1618 MAN-CLE (1853)
1B93 1924 CLE-MAN (2206)
5H99 2223 MAN-XML (2234)
Stables Longsight

Diagram 6
5B64 0428 XML-MIA (0514)
1B64 0556 MIA-CLE (0902)
1B73 0926 CLE-MAN (1202)
1B76 1218 MAN-CLE (1453)
1B85 1524 CLE-MAN (1802)
1B88 1818 MAN-CLE (2052)
5B88 2103 CLE-DON (2219)
Stables Doncaster

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a heads up for your visit in late May/early June concerning TransPennine Express (TPE) in case it affects your planning - TPE services have been significantly reduced on most Sundays recently due to industrial action.  

It looks as though further disruption is planned over the next few weeks, as outlined here;

https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/travel-updates/strike

Hopefully it won’t affect your plans and you can still have a great time. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Your best bet for cheap travel would be to purchase a BritRail pass before departure - they are not available in the UK or to UK citizens.  Given the high cost of train travel in the UK you will soon be in profit after only a few trips.

2 hours ago, 4630 said:

Just a heads up for your visit in late May/early June concerning TransPennine Express (TPE) in case it affects your planning - TPE services have been significantly reduced on most Sundays recently due to industrial action.  

It looks as though further disruption is planned over the next few weeks, as outlined here;

https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/travel-updates/strike

Hopefully it won’t affect your plans and you can still have a great time. 

Thank you for this - luckily we only have planned the airport to glasgow central on the Sunday - Edinburgh on a Monday (with a forth bridge diversion). Carlisle on a Tuesday. Then Carlisle to Glasgow a Wednesday, and I'm thinking the Thursday is either Wymess Bay or Falkirk.

Appreciate the heads up.

2 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

Your best bet for cheap travel would be to purchase a BritRail pass before departure - they are not available in the UK or to UK citizens.  Given the high cost of train travel in the UK you will soon be in profit after only a few trips.

Interesting, will look this up - thank you! I've not heard of this - and I am a UK citizen so hopefully that's not a problem (I'm a dual national, British originally but met a Canadian girl, divorced her thank god, but still here!). Most of our travel is off-peak, and booking in advance the prices don't seem outrageous. Not like a hirecar in Glasgow! (900GBP for two weeks hire - hence lots of train travel, and doing an 8 day hire in Carlisle for just over 300 quid)

21 hours ago, Nova Scotian said:

I think a 385 would be more interesting to me though.

You might be able to kill two birds with one stone, as a few of the Glasgow Central/Wemyss Bay and Gourock services are booked Class 385; For example yesterday the 0957 ex Central and 1057 return were 385019. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nova Scotian said:

Interesting, will look this up - thank you! I've not heard of this - and I am a UK citizen so hopefully that's not a problem (I'm a dual national, British originally but met a Canadian girl, divorced her thank god, but still here!). Most of our travel is off-peak, and booking in advance the prices don't seem outrageous. Not like a hirecar in Glasgow! (900GBP for two weeks hire - hence lots of train travel, and doing an 8 day hire in Carlisle for just over 300 quid)

Citizenship is fortunately not a factor - residency is:

https://www.britrail.com/plan-your-trip/faqs/

Nevertheless, you'd probably be better off showing any non British passport if asked, since for Brits they state: "If you have not resided in Britain for the last six months you are perfectly entitled to travel on a BritRail Pass but may need to show you visa stamp as proof". You're obviously not going to have a Visa as a dual citizen, and in many cases not even any stamps in either passport - and that doesn't even begin to take into account British-only citizens resident in many countries (in particular in Europe) who may hold a residence permit but not have any stamps or Visas in their passport - I doubt that conductors will have any clue how to interpret a residence permit (the EU/Schengen residence permits are at least a consistent format, but what about things like Green cards and equivalents from further ashore?).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, icn said:

Citizenship is fortunately not a factor - residency is:

https://www.britrail.com/plan-your-trip/faqs/

Nevertheless, you'd probably be better off showing any non British passport if asked, since for Brits they state: "If you have not resided in Britain for the last six months you are perfectly entitled to travel on a BritRail Pass but may need to show you visa stamp as proof". You're obviously not going to have a Visa as a dual citizen, and in many cases not even any stamps in either passport - and that doesn't even begin to take into account British-only citizens resident in many countries (in particular in Europe) who may hold a residence permit but not have any stamps or Visas in their passport - I doubt that conductors will have any clue how to interpret a residence permit (the EU/Schengen residence permits are at least a consistent format, but what about things like Green cards and equivalents from further ashore?).

Yeah I saw the 6 month thing - and I left twelve years ago! I have a Canadian passport, and even enter using that passport so my partner and kids don't have to go through a different line. I only use the UK one when travelling alone - or when they had the "passenger locater form" last year and seemed confused by my status.

I've e-mailed to get a quote and confirm - tickets in advance are quite cheap, so it may be cheaper for me to just book individually each one, but the brit pass would be a lot more flexible.

Well, I booked our first round of tickets last night - Glasgow Central to Carlisle, and then back again eight days later.

The timing and costs worked out that we're Avanti West Coast down, 1M09, and then TPE inbound on what I think is 3S40.

Now looking at our day returns Glasgow to Edinburgh - leaving from Central is easier due to our accomodations, and the timing works that I think we might do Cross Country (Voyager) there, and LNER (Azuma) back - both are via Carstairs right?

1 hour ago, Nova Scotian said:

and then TPE inbound on what I think is 3S40.

I hope not - a Class 3 is an Empty Coaching Stock move! Presumably it's 1S40, one of the "restored" TPE services from May.

1 hour ago, Nova Scotian said:

Now looking at our day returns Glasgow to Edinburgh - leaving from Central is easier due to our accomodations, and the timing works that I think we might do Cross Country (Voyager) there, and LNER (Azuma) back - both are via Carstairs right?

Yes, both are Glasgow Cent-Motherwell-(Carstairs)-Haymarket-Edinburgh and vice-versa

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

On Glasgow -Wemyss Bay it might be a Class 385 but 320s also seem to pop up , also on Gourock services . 

Balloch , I think is mainly 320s . Quite nice you can go on a stroll  to the bottom part of Loch Lomond , which is nice but not the real Highlands part . Wemyss Bay is probably best option, as has been pointed out the station is a stunning piece of architecture  and the sail across the Clyde to Rothsay (about 40mins) is nice with views up and down the Clyde and up Loch Striven and the Kyles of Bute  . Its a two boat service so you can get off , have a wee stroll about Rothsay and then get the next boat back . Just check timings as I think theres a fallow period around lunchtime . 

Not mentioned but how about a wee trip up the West Highland (class 156/153), maybe as far as Arrochar and Tarbert or Ardlui and get train back . You cant see much of Loch Lomond as theres a lot of trees  but the section up from Helensburgh to Gare Loch and then running high above Loch Long through Glen Douglas to Arrochar and Tarbert is very nice .

Other options , if traction is an attraction are Ayr or Largs . Both nice seaside towns , Largs is a bit more compact , both served by 380s from Glasgow Central . A possibility is train (380) to Largs  , have a wonder round , ice cream at Nardinis perhaps , then bus up to Wemyss Bay (prob 15-20 mins ) and return on 385/320. Bus is run by McGills and theres maybe a Stagecoach one , pretty regular though. 

Just a few options . Have a great time . 

Edited by Legend
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, hexagon789 said:

I hope not - a Class 3 is an Empty Coaching Stock move! Presumably it's 1S40, one of the "restored" TPE services from May.

Yes, both are Glasgow Cent-Motherwell-(Carstairs)-Haymarket-Edinburgh and vice-versa

Ah, must be 1S40 - the outbound is end of May, so that makes sense.

2 minutes ago, GordonC said:

are you sure you want a ride on a Vomitter? That one might be worth a swerve

It's only 67-72 minutes - I'm trying to get a variety of traction.

Did Bristol Parkway to Newcastle 16 years ago on one, and it was awful because at night and after a funeral, so would like to rehabilitate it!

27 minutes ago, Legend said:

On Glasgow -Wemyss Bay it might be a Class 385 but 320s also seem to pop up , also on Gourock services . 

Balloch , I think is mainly 320s . Quite nice you can go on a stroll  to the bottom part of Loch Lomond , which is nice but not the real Highlands part . Wemyss Bay is probably best option, as has been pointed out the station is a stunning piece of architecture  and the sail across the Clyde to Rothsay (about 40mins) is nice with views up and down the Clyde and up Loch Striven and the Kyles of Bute  . Its a two boat service so you can get off , have a wee stroll about Rothsay and then get the next boat back . Just check timings as I think theres a fallow period around lunchtime . 

Not mentioned but how about a wee trip up the West Highland (class 156/153), maybe as far as Arrochar and Tarbert or Ardlui and get train back . You cant see much of Loch Lomond as theres a lot of trees  but the section up from Helensburgh to Gare Loch and then running high above Loch Long through Glen Douglas to Arrochar and Tarbert is very nice .

Other options , if traction is an attraction are Ayr or Largs . Both nice seaside towns , Largs is a bit more compact , both served by 380s from Glasgow Central . A possibility is train (380) to Largs  , have a wonder round , ice cream at Nardinis perhaps , then bus up to Wemyss Bay (prob 15-20 mins ) and return on 385/320. Bus is run by McGills and theres maybe a Stagecoach one , pretty regular though. 

Just a few options . Have a great time . 

Lovely feedback - thank you.

My partner and I have discussed returning when we can for a more proper "highlands" holiday - in which we'd also do Orkney (I've been once and loved it). I'd plan on Fort William and a few other places. If our finances have changed hopefully we'd be on the caledonian sleeper from London for it, but that's not realistic at the moment.

I think Wemyss Bay is a winner - but that might just be because I love ferry rides, train rides, station architecture etc. We only have one "floating" day, where we're in a hotel near Glasgow Central in the morning, but then in the evening we're staying out near the airport as our flight is early the next day. Very disappointing they cancelled the airport connector link around the time I left the UK - would have made all the difference to our timing and spending pattern in the city on that final evening.

• Like 1