Loksound V5 decoder fault?

Paperlad

9 hours ago, Hamburger said:

In my opinion the decoder is fine and it is just a matter of controller settings.

I suspect that you are correct and it’s the controller where the problem lies.

10 hours ago, charliepetty said:

If the decoder does'nt work in your model then try it in a different model.

As I have said before on this decoder, If you get no where then pop in £10.00 and return it to:

DCKits-Legomanbiffo, 111 Norwood Crescent, Leeds LS286NG and we will replace it for you, with the far better Legomanbiffo Sounds on an ESU Decoder.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, I’ve tried the problem decoder in a different loco with no change, I’ve also tried a different decoder in the class 37 and it works fine.

I'm tempted to send it to you as it’s a great offer. However, if you were to load a new sound file to a decoder that (apparently) my controller can’t read will that not simply leave me with a great sound file that I still can’t access? I guess for a ‘tenner’ it’s probs worth a try?

Best regards

PL.

1 hour ago, Paperlad said:

Thanks Charlie, I’ve tried the problem decoder in a different loco with no change, I’ve also tried a different decoder in the class 37 and it works fine.

I'm tempted to send it to you as it’s a great offer. However, if you were to load a new sound file to a decoder that (apparently) my controller can’t read will that not simply leave me with a great sound file that I still can’t access? I guess for a ‘tenner’ it’s probs worth a try?

Best regards

PL.

I assume you have other locos with ESU decoders fitted that 'Do work' and your controller reads & plays them correctly, who's sounds are on the working decoders??

The decoder you have (from Rails) I assume has been set up by you with the Loco Address, so before you go down the road of our offer, try re-setting it too a different address (IE 37 or a similar '2 Digit' address, if that dos'nt work try a 4 Digit address like 3741.

As we are selling 100's of decoders without ant issues, unless there is a loco problem OR a controller Set-Up problem, the decoder we send 'Will Work'

If the decoder is at fault, then we will return it to ESU under warranty (Unless its more that 2 years old, if it is there is no warranty and it cannot be replaced, we can read its age here) Assuming its in Warranty we will supply you with a New decoder with better sound.

Charlie

Team Biffo.jpg

21 hours ago, charliepetty said:

If the decoder does'nt work in your model then try it in a different model.

As I have said before on this decoder, If you get no where then pop in £10.00 and return it to:

DCKits-Legomanbiffo, 111 Norwood Crescent, Leeds LS286NG and we will replace it for you, with the far better Legomanbiffo Sounds on an ESU Decoder.

Charlie

Charlie,

The decoder will be in the post to you tomorrow, the ‘tenner’ is in the decoder box along with a short note and my return address.

Yes, I have another 6 sound fitted locos but non have the V5 decoder, they’re all earlier versions (V4 and one V3.5) and all run perfectly.

After hearing your sounds (YouTube) I’ll be changing the speakers in my other sound locos but I’ll speak to you first so that I can get the best/most appropriate ones from your shop.

Once again, thank you for all your efforts.

PL.

Charle, I received the decoder today, sadly it’s the same: no movement or sound but I can read and change CV settings. I think that it’s now safe to assume that the problem lies with the controller/V5 decoder combination. Maybe I’ll buy a Lenz controller which I quite like (I see you have them in stock) but I’ll have a little think about it first.

If I may just say, you have been more than helpful and I really appreciate your time, effort and fast response.

Best regards.

PL.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post! But I have a solution because I had exactly the same problem with a Loksound 5.
You need to set a couple of CVs to disable some protocols that you probably aren't using and don't need.
Try setting CV28 = 3 and CV 47 = 1
I did this on advice from a chap on the ESU forum and my loco burst into life after 2 months of misery which even Charlie at DC Kits could not resolve for me!!!

• RMweb Premium
On 08/04/2022 at 03:01, Paperlad said:

Thanks Richard, but with respect, making a guess has a fair chance of being wrong.

Update: following a helpful phone chat with Rails I made the long drive over to them today. I took both the decoder and loco in the hope that they might demonstrate the fitted decoder in operation, unfortunately the decoder was taken ‘out back’ for testing and after around 10 mins it was brought back and declared in fine working order and I was ushered out (maybe I’m being a bit harsh but that’s what it felt like). I drove home, refitted the decoder, put it on the programming track and there’s no change, still no movement, no lights or sound!

So, where does that leave me? I have no reason to doubt that the decoder tested satisfactorily, the loco runs fine on DC and also with a different type of decoder fitted. My Trix controller works well with all the other decoders that I use (including V3.5 and V4 sound decoders) so I suspect it’s summat to do with the older controller software not communicating with the new V5 decoder, after all, the controller is the best part of 20 yrs old.

Last year I began thinking about getting a new controller and the only one that took my fancy was the SignaTrack device so, maybe I’ll take a closer look at it but in the meantime I’ll get a non sound decoder for the 37 to run it.

best regards and thanks for all the help, where would we be without RMweb?

PL.

Aaah, Rails. I sent a loco (D class) back to them because I found it had a short in the tender wiring that blew a Zimo sound decoder. It went back and forth between Sheffield and Australia three times! I eventually got the message through to them about the tender, and they sent a new one. They must have been seriously out of pocket when it was all finished, because they paid all the postage.

I then contacted Dapol who refunded me half the cost of a new Zimo decoder. Better than a slap in the chops with a wet fish.😀

• Like 1

12 hours ago, shottsj said:

I know this is an old post! But I have a solution because I had exactly the same problem with a Loksound 5.
You need to set a couple of CVs to disable some protocols that you probably aren't using and don't need.
I did this on advice from a chap on the ESU forum and my loco burst into life after 2 months of misery which even Charlie at DC Kits could not resolve for me!!!

Many thanks for the information. I’ve been running the loco with a non sound, Lenz decoder, I’ll swop it back to the ESU and give it a try. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/08/2023 at 08:33, shottsj said:

I finally got around to trying the CV settings that you suggested, unfortunately it’s still not responding. Many thanks for the tips all the same.

PL.