Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

[Ukraine fundraiser] BR 132: not just another blue and yellow diesel

I could hardly do anything other than “agree”

This is one of my favourite German diesel locomotives, which I really love and have several models of. I knew they were “Soviet” built but in my ignorance, I never realised just where they were built, despite fairly well following the news since 2014 etc, I never connected the dots.

I wish your positive contribution well.

John

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• readingtype changed the title to [Proposed Ukraine fundraiser] BR 132: not just another blue and yellow diesel

In a shameless plug for my own pictures, this link goes to some snaps I took in Luhansk Works, and around, in 2010. Click on the somewhat shocking picture to reveal all!

My understanding is that the Works was seriously damaged in fighting in 2015, and I guess it's about to get a lot worse. There's a bit in this month's Lok Report (which I can't read too well as I don't speak German) to this effect.

Nice idea by the way. I've ticked "agree" but would like two mugs please.

Lugansk/ Voroshilovgrad Works

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks to everyone for the interest shown over the last four weeks. I think the time has come to move things closer to production. I will get started as soon as I can. Please do let others know. If they're not on RMWeb they can contact me by email: ben-132mug (at) readingtype.org.uk

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've been talking to the mug printer. Naturally as a graphic designer I have come up with pretty much the most technically challenging design possible. It's going to be fun figuring this out. A couple of highlights:

• the background is a flag. We want this to be printed the boldest, brightest, thickest possible. But I have placed lettering over the flag, both yellow on blue and blue on yellow. If either colour is slightly overlapping or mis-registered we could end up with green fringes as yellow is generally almost transparent to anything under it.
  • although the illustration is basically a line drawing, the loco's shape is given by colouring the various panels in shades of the blue and yellow, showing highlight and shadow. This potentially requireds extra screen printing layers to reproduce.

So, watch this space. Some headaches likely, but we'll get there.

There's still plenty of time to show your support by the way -- read the first post to find out more (TLDR -- click 'agree' and be prepared to pay for a mug when they're ready).

Ben

Edited by readingtype
typo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've been working on the artwork to make it suitable for a real-world mug.

Firstly, although they look dark on screen, I'm using the 'official' Ukrainian flag colours according to Wikipedia: RAL 5019 Capri Blue and RAL 1023 Traffic Yellow. BR blue is down as RAL 5020, incidentally, though it had its own designation in the hallowed BR Corporate Identity manual.

Secondly, I am hoping I can use some halftone screen tricks to keep the number of colours reasonable. Everything should come from yellow, blue or black -- and not forgetting the absence of all ink, in which case the white of the china mug will show through. I'm trying a couple of variants to see which bring out the contours of the loco better (I'm thinking the one where the side is darker and the front is lighter is the better one).

Thirdly, there's the option of switching the lettering to white so there is less chance of a green fringe around the letters. Make things easy for your (mug) printer and they will be able to give you a good result: that's the thinking.

Here's a screenshot from Scribus showing work in progress (the original idea at the top).

Ben

ludmug-screenshot.png

Edited by readingtype
Editor puts in two copies of the image, only one needed really.
  • Like 3

The white lettering looks like a much better bet if you're worried about a green fringe.  It show up more clearly against the blue than against the yellow though.  Would that give you the green fringe problem though?

I don't know what colours Ukrainian locos wear (yellow ends?), but the blue front end and yellow buffer beam look a little odd using the darker blue.  I realise you won't want to add any extra colours, but if you swapped the colours just on the front of the loco, might that look more plausible without destroying the flag? 

13 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The white lettering looks like a much better bet if you're worried about a green fringe.  It show up more clearly against the blue than against the yellow though.  Would that give you the green fringe problem though?

I don't know what colours Ukrainian locos wear (yellow ends?), but the blue front end and yellow buffer beam look a little odd using the darker blue.  I realise you won't want to add any extra colours, but if you swapped the colours just on the front of the loco, might that look more plausible without destroying the flag? 

Remember this isn't a Ukrainian loco, it's a German railways loco built in Ukraine at Luhansk.

An example of a loco in the livery as delivered is here, pictured on shed in Saalfeld, eastern Germany in November 1992. The Diamond plate in the middle upper of the bodyside is the worksplate from Luhansk. These locos were originally delivered to East Germany, the DDR, when the country was spilt. On re-unification in 1990 East diesels which had a number starting with a "1" were renumbered to start with "2" to bring them into line with West German locos;

A852015 copyweb3.jpg

The nearest you get to a Ukrainian diesel that is similar is this, the TEP 70. I think however these were built at Kolomiya in Russia. If that sounds a bit odd these all date to Soviet days, when it was all one country governed from Moscow. The picture below is in Kharkhiv in May 2010.

IMG_1553web.jpg

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for these comments and suggestions. To agree with @Michael Hodgson and @John Tomlinson as succinctly as I can: yes, the colours are a bit strange but, indeed, they're not intended to represent a livery. I'll keep thinking -- but I do want to get into production soon. With luck perhaps in time for Globalrail in Didcot, on 18 June (disclosure, I'm a German Railway Society committee member).

Cheers

Ben

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, doctor quinn said:

did (old) Piko release a version in pale blue

Now there's a question :-)

Perhaps it was Roco's T3109 017? http://www.modellbau-wiki.de/wiki/Datei:T3109_017_Roco62861.jpg

Many, many more colourful varieties are at http://www.modellbau-wiki.de/wiki/DR-Baureihe_130

Meanwhile here's an update. Testing out the 'official' RAL blue showed it was probably going to come out impractically dark, so I have found some new colours using my trusty Pantone swatch book (this entailed a bike ride as I have lent it to a friend...). I also talked to the mug printer today and he feels colouring the different parts of the loco will look bad because the halftone screens he can use with the solid colours will be fairly low-quality. I'm experimenting with some shading using only the black -- you can see work in progress on the driver's side buffer (our left).

Ben

image.png.3229e0fd5777c12a06d9bedf52441d17.png

• Like 3

That looks much better than the "correct" shades of colour you posted earlier. 

It's still obviously the flag, but I suppose flags fade over time when exposed to the sun anyway.  The loco now looks more like a black outline of a loco superimposed on the background whereas the darker shades made it look more like a flag-coloured loco.  Even the "Product" and DR class info seem clearer on this version - which is not what I would have expected; maybe that's just the larger image however.

Funny how fairly minor changes make such a big difference.

Flying a national flag upside down is a sign of distress so painting the world's largest aircraft with their national colours the other way up proved prophetic ... best not put this mug upside down in the dishwasher !

image.png.62383abb9384badb29df8fe498f01de0.pngimage.png.2ffa30c317c73aa71418b248c8c56760.png

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

@Michael Hodgson Thanks. I agree on the subtleties of the effect of the colour change, as they relate to the legibility of the text. I did have that in mind when choosing the new colours. And I'm hoping not just the print but the entire mug is dishwasher-proof...

On that point I'm expecting colour chips to arrive at the end of next week to confirm those two colours. Then we can press the big green ceramic screen printing button, I hope. Here's the current, hopefully, final, form of the artwork. I now have the approval of the mug printer that this will (a) be practical to produce (with a total of four tones, it needs three screens) and (b) come out looking nice and even: the halftones should, he thinks, look alright.

image.png.e5eca0240524bc9862f243ee1aa53ce3.png

Cheers

Ben

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Spoke too soon. Colours thought too far off by a Ukrainian. I must defer to that opinion, as without a credible flag we have no project. More colour samples, requested last week, are on their way...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

New colour samples arrived this morning. Here's the pragmatic design revision, with the text on the sunflower half in black -- Ukraine's yellow is very lemony. Comments welcome of course.

image.png

Edited by readingtype
Comments welcome
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for comments/likes on the (second) colour revision. The yellow will be paler than it probably looks on your screens I'm afraid, but (as noted) the change to black lettering means we will be able to read the text! It's been interesting to learn that when I send a colour spec. to the mug producer, he looks it up in the colour reference and then goes to his store of glazes to see which is the best match. There is no possibility of exactitude. Glazing is the right way to make something that will last well and keep its colour (witness all the amazing multicoloured ceramics from hundreds of years ago) but it's not computer-age button-clicking flexible.

• Like 1

The apparent colour fastness of ancient ceramics might be down to them not having dishwashers!

When I visit a preserved line I tend to buy a souvenir mug from the shop; unfortunately after a few years they tend to lose the image.  So looking at the mugs in the cupboard, I can see it's high time I went back to the KWVR, the SVR and the lines in the west country.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've now adjusted the artwork for the final mug dimensions (for some reason it took a while to find out what these were). That's meant a bit of tweaking to keep the loco facing one way and the text the other. We are now moving towards production: the artwork has gone to be assessed to check it's technically OK and I am expecting a proforma invoice so I can pay and get the kilns warming up.

I welcome further support of course! I'll post details of how you can donate and receive your mug here as soon as I can.

Ben

• Like 2