Trewithen, BR/WR BLT.

Andrew P

15 minutes ago, Bogie said:

I'm pretty happy with what you're doing.   Couldn't care less about sound to be honest.

However, I think you have a continuity problem with wardrobe.

I've sacked my glamours Wardrobe assistant, so will do the next one naked, NOT🤓

And in addition to the Video that is now on the previous page, here is a pic for the day.

NOTE = I have NOT re sized this one like I normally do for RM Web, just as a try out.

DSCF0158.JPG.d6b13d5d240c1a18f2de0c3322898516.JPG

• Like 11

28 minutes ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Great video Andy. Your layout is definitely coming together nicely now.

I liked the running sessions especially the BR Blues. 🙂

Cheers Kevin, your  feedback is appreciated. 👍.

1 hour ago, pwr said:

Rapidly becoming one of my favourites Andy. Thanks for another great video. Lookiing forward to the shots from Brockenhurst.

Paul R

Thanks Paul, and thanks for the two Green coaches, as you have seen, I did manage to get the Wrenn to run in the rake.

Mr P I have a suggestion to make. I think you should have a go at painting some sort of relief on the back scene behind the dairy.

Why do I suggest this. Well you've proven yourself on more than one occasion to be a very good painter. You've painted your own back-scenes as well as doing paintings for your own enjoyment so you clearly have an artistic eye. Additionally you've demonstrated that you have an understanding of proportion and placement with the siting of the various features and structures.

I know you were concerned about the dairy due to its location but you took a risk and adapted the building and it turned out to worth it. So by adding some detail to the backscene it'll give the illusion that the building extends further and doesn't just stop abruptly as it appears now.

I won't be at all offended if you go and tell me to take a running ........, but I really do think that this something that you are capable of and that it will add to your already magnificent layout.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Mr P I have a suggestion to make. I think you should have a go at painting some sort of relief on the back scene behind the dairy.

Why do I suggest this. Well you've proven yourself on more than one occasion to be a very good painter. You've painted your own back-scenes as well as doing paintings for your own enjoyment so you clearly have an artistic eye. Additionally you've demonstrated that you have an understanding of proportion and placement with the siting of the various features and structures.

I know you were concerned about the dairy due to its location but you took a risk and adapted the building and it turned out to worth it. So by adding some detail to the backscene it'll give the illusion that the building extends further and doesn't just stop abruptly as it appears now.

I won't be at all offended if you go and tell me to take a running ........, but I really do think that this something that you are capable of and that it will add to your already magnificent layout.

Cheers

Ian

Interesting BUT. You come up against one dimension verses three dimension and naa the twain shall mix, which is why I don't put building on my Backscene.

For example;

One dimension painted on, and looking from the front, this is what you would see.

IMG_7917.JPG.77d530b832bad8cba8704bc5ec558a15.JPG

Looking from the right you would get this.

1164474472_IMG_8217-Copy-Copy.JPG.fec6000bc42d70cb8a377ea1bbb850b9.JPG

Looking from the left you would get this, which you SHOULD NOT SEE.

DSCF0104.JPG.135e15f290345c115dae7b4c382eff75.JPG

Putting Tree there would be a better solution, or scrap it all together.

1091023014_IMG_8217-Copy.JPG.d28a1b4a43da68d07185e0b989cf1d3a.JPG

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

44 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Interesting BUT. You come up against one dimension verses three dimension and naa the twain shall mix, which is why I don't put building on my Backscene.

For example;

One dimension painted on, and looking from the front, this is what you would see.

IMG_7917.JPG.77d530b832bad8cba8704bc5ec558a15.JPG

Looking from the right you would get this.

1164474472_IMG_8217-Copy-Copy.JPG.fec6000bc42d70cb8a377ea1bbb850b9.JPG

Looking from the left you would get this, which you SHOULD NOT SEE.

DSCF0104.JPG.135e15f290345c115dae7b4c382eff75.JPG

Putting Tree there would be a better solution, or scrap it all together.

1091023014_IMG_8217-Copy.JPG.d28a1b4a43da68d07185e0b989cf1d3a.JPG

I see you have considered it and more comprehensively than me it would seem. So then of the three options I pick the last one.

I'll now go and write a hundred lines of 'i will not ask Mr P to do something that he's already considered and dismissed' if that's alright with you Sir.

• Friendly/supportive 3

14 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I see you have considered it and more comprehensively than me it would seem. So then of the three options I pick the last one.

I'll now go and write a hundred lines of 'i will not ask Mr P to do something that he's already considered and dismissed' if that's alright with you Sir.

NO, No no, on the contrary, I'm glad you raised the issues, and TBH its still one that is bugging me whenever I look at it, or at Photos of it.

I never have likes Half relief for this very reason.

Have a look at this, then turn your screen so you view the main house from the left.

Now look at the second house from the right or left.

Its a very difficult subject to get right.

House.png.93b434a3861cc823372369538e3891f2.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

NO, No no, on the contrary, I'm glad you raised the issues, and TBH its still one that is bugging me whenever I look at it, or at Photos of it.

I never have likes Half relief for this very reason.

Have a look at this, then turn your screen so you view the main house from the left.

Now look at the second house from the right or left.

Its a very difficult subject to get right.

House.png.93b434a3861cc823372369538e3891f2.png

I always liked technical drawing especially the projections. I wonder if a mirror might work? It'll have to be shaped and quite small but what do think 

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I always liked technical drawing especially the projections. I wonder if a mirror might work? It'll have to be shaped and quite small but what do think 

So, you look at it strait on and what do you see? your face, and at an angle it would be fine, but you would still also see across the room. 

Here's what I did with a row of cottages on Masons Lane, should have done the other side as well.

1961315408_MasonsLane047.JPG.00296cfffe5774b96529a000ef2e6283.JPG

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Andrew P said:

So, you look at it strait on and what do you see? your face, and at an angle it would be fine, but you would still also see across the room. 

Here's what I did with a row of cottages on Masons Lane, should have done the other side as well.

1961315408_MasonsLane047.JPG.00296cfffe5774b96529a000ef2e6283.JPG

Ok Mr P. I'll stop coming up with daft suggestions and get back to doing my lines. Repeat - I will not..........

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

There was an article in the old Model railway news many years ago about doing buildings on backscenes by someone who I believe was an architect (Maurice Bradley  IIRC) .  You can only use true perspective in the viewing is restricted to one view point. he didn't use perspective on the buildings just made them smaller the further back and always a threequarter view. The real problem as Andy points out is the transition from 3d to 2d . Gables ends on low relief can look odd when you move from square on because you would expect to see the sides of the roof. A pitched roof as Andy has on his dairry looks much better and using a tree as Andy suggests will hid the fact that there is no gable end seen from the side. Low relief building look better if there is a row of them because you do not expect to see the sides looking from an angle because the building either side block the view.

It might be possible to paint a roof of another building visible behind or to one side of the low relief one suggesting more building on the site but not unless you are a better painter than me.

Don

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Andrew P said:

This morning, I added some Hedging to the Roadway near the Platform end.

IMG_8216.JPG.3e45c7e3629913f6f2ce61b298f1b824.JPG

IMG_8215.JPG.7713b04d1ed5ef7318153ec6c0ea57b6.JPG

I see the lack of council workers has led to extensive growth on the bridge!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Glorious weather down in deepest Cornwall yesterday, as the 11.55 Service from Penzance arrived at Trewithen.

DSCF0160.JPG.855b757bd2ee13488ad2e55ce3fcba31.JPG

I see Beeching did get there after all as evidenced by the remains of track removal.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ray H said:

I reckon the branch is on borrowed time looking at the signs of the (already) lifted track in the most recent picture😄

Don't speak to soon Ray, I've been to a show today and come home with ideas. 😅

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Donw said:

There was an article in the old Model railway news many years ago about doing buildings on backscenes by someone who I believe was an architect (Maurice Bradley  IIRC) .  You can only use true perspective in the viewing is restricted to one view point. he didn't use perspective on the buildings just made them smaller the further back and always a threequarter view. The real problem as Andy points out is the transition from 3d to 2d . Gables ends on low relief can look odd when you move from square on because you would expect to see the sides of the roof. A pitched roof as Andy has on his dairry looks much better and using a tree as Andy suggests will hid the fact that there is no gable end seen from the side. Low relief building look better if there is a row of them because you do not expect to see the sides looking from an angle because the building either side block the view.

It might be possible to paint a roof of another building visible behind or to one side of the low relief one suggesting more building on the site but not unless you are a better painter than me.

Don

I'm RUBBISH at painting Buildings, and perspective so I'll find a Tree.🙄

• Like 1
  • Funny 2