US built shunter now in the UK.

• RMweb Premium

Built on part of an SD40-2, this is now in the UK....

http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/industrial/Tractive_Power.htm

Ta to Chris I for further info on FWDX0002

http://www.altoonaworks.info/curry.html

There is a pic on wnxx.com of it next to a Class 47 at RSS, Wishaw.

Could be a useful scratchbuild project on a spare Class 59 bogie........

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Big question is why is it here?  Doesn't look the easiest thing to fit uk drawgear to and with the aforementioned axle weight there isn't many remaining sites where it could run 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, russ p said:

Big question is why is it here?  Doesn't look the easiest thing to fit uk drawgear to and with the aforementioned axle weight there isn't many remaining sites where it could run 

Possibly Tractive Power Inc. trying to get into the UK market?

It is listed as Tier4 compliant loco, but i don't know how that compares with UK/Euro emission specs.

US Tier4 = or similar to Euro 5?

As to the weight, it is around 72.5tonnes (80 US tons).

Still blimmin' heavy!

There were some 67te 0-6-0 shunters built by Hunslet for use at Templeborough Steelworks, latterly used at Rover, Longbridge until 2007

Two of them were stored at Long Marston when I visited there in 2018.

hunslet.jpg.cdd632c83c916c7f7a2108e20fe35c18.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I have a feeling that it’s been around for quite awhile now and it’s basically a EMD HTC truck (bogie) with a cut down frame, front and back steps recovered from a late style GP or SD.  The cab looks very similar to the rebuilds ICG did with their older EMD switchers.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I have a feeling that it’s been around for quite awhile now and it’s basically a EMD HTC truck (bogie) with a cut down frame, front and back steps recovered from a late style GP or SD.  The cab looks very similar to the rebuilds ICG did with their older EMD switchers.

If you check back on the link provided by Chris I, then it lists the donor as SD40-2 ex-CP #5805,  and rebuilt in 2015.

Edited by newbryford

7 hours ago, Hesperus said:

Not a lot of new information but all in one place.

https://hawkinsrails.net/industrials/crs/crs.htm

Better to go to the company behind the line of switchers/shunters -

http://www.tractivepowercorp.com/

Full details of their various products including the ability to download PDF versions.

That website states that the units can be customized and it wouldn't surprise me if in addition to making the body smaller they couldn't also reduce the weight - I would guess they have added weight to help with the moving of up to 286,000lb freight cars that are the current standard in North America.

Edited by mdvle

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, newbryford said:

If you check back on the link provided by Chris I, then it lists the donor as SD40-2 ex-CP #5805,  and rebuilt in 2015.

As I said, the HTC truck is from a SD40-2, the same frame has been shortened, kept the front and rear steps, the cab has been adapted to fit.  Also, as I mentioned, it’s been around since 2015, so I rest my case your honour 😎😎😎

• RMweb Premium
On 04/04/2022 at 11:51, newbryford said:

Possibly Tractive Power Inc. trying to get into the UK market?

It is listed as Tier4 compliant loco, but i don't know how that compares with UK/Euro emission specs.

US Tier4 = or similar to Euro 5?

As to the weight, it is around 72.5tonnes (80 US tons).

Still blimmin' heavy!

There were some 67te 0-6-0 shunters built by Hunslet for use at Templeborough Steelworks, latterly used at Rover, Longbridge until 2007

Two of them were stored at Long Marston when I visited there in 2018.

hunslet.jpg.cdd632c83c916c7f7a2108e20fe35c18.jpg

There were some heavier locos than these on three axles.

337911540_D49cropped.jpg.c0bc1b6b5c957130b11c4c0badaec94d.jpg

Hunslet 75T 0-6-0DE for Normanby Park steelworks, essentially half a Scunthorpe Bo-Bo on a frame derived from the 67T Rotherham locos.

DSCF3792.JPG.06bf99ae08d5a32651b267baa5b7ad6d.JPG

Also available in 4mm scale.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

There were some heavier locos than these on three axles.

337911540_D49cropped.jpg.c0bc1b6b5c957130b11c4c0badaec94d.jpg

Hunslet 75T 0-6-0DE for Normanby Park steelworks, essentially half a Scunthorpe Bo-Bo on a frame derived from the 67T Rotherham locos.

Also available in 4mm scale.

Nice!

Everyone keeps saying how heavy it is, but I`m sure it has been ballasted up to that weight. Depending on equipment, a SD40-2 comes in at 160 to 209 tons, so this is just half the weight of a SD40. No way does a little 400hp diesel engine (probably from a truck or such) weigh as much as the 10 to 12 tons of the V16 3000hp EMD engine. And there is not even half the frame there.

Be more interesting in seeing how one of these would compare to the shunting Bo Bo that Clayton are making now. Reducing one of these to UK size and weight would not be difficult (the width and height is all in the walkways and cab/steps, the rest would already be in gauge).

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The TP70 is currently at Long Marston for Rail Live the week after next.

With a fresh coat of black and RSS branding.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1