Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Locos/rolling stock that haven't been produced RTR in OO but have been produced RTR in other scales?

Anyone know of any examples?  The first one that comes to mind for me is the LMS Dock Tank - okay the Minitrix model is hardly super-detail, but it's still unmistakeably a Dock Tank - and there's definitely nothing RTR in OO that even had pretensions of being a Dock Tank.

The Ixion Fowler diesel shunter is one I'm surprised hasn't been shrunk down to 4mm scale. Pretty little prototype.

http://www.tower-models.com/towermodels/ogauge/ixion/fowler/index.htm

Lionheart have done a few GWR coaches such as the B set and Autotrailer which are different types than the 00 versions. Now with Dapol so they may end up being released in 00 at some point.

Quite a few N Gauge wagons over the years. LNER Bogie Sulphate, Ford Pallet Vans, MR Brake Van (early type with single veranda), etc.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm a little surprised that the LMS dock tank hasn't cropped up on a release schedule yet. Docks are a popular modelling setting, and the Fowler dock tank had a good geographical spread, even making its way to Scotland. And, although only ten of them were built, they all lasted into BR days so they cover a good spread of eras.

I suppose the main obstacle for a manufacturer is the lack of documentation on them. With no preserved versions to scan, getting it right could be tricky.

20 hours ago, eldomtom2 said:

Anyone know of any examples?  The first one that comes to mind for me is the LMS Dock Tank - okay the Minitrix model is hardly super-detail, but it's still unmistakeably a Dock Tank - and there's definitely nothing RTR in OO that even had pretensions of being a Dock Tank.

Lovely little engines - my favourite engine in O gauge is one of those.  Filled with lead it will haul a decent load and the wheelbase is so short it's as good on sharp curves as some 0-4-0Ts.

I've got one in OO that's kjt-built.

• RMweb Gold

I think the Dap ex-Lionheart B set is the same diagram as the Airfix etc. 00 4mm RTR; recessed guard's doors and Collett 7' bogies, though it does not repeat the mistake with the guard's compartment window on one side of each coach.  The Dap auto trailer is a Diagram N, and TTBOMK the only panelled auto trailer available RTR in any scale.  I would be delighted if Dap put this through the 4mm shrink ray, as it would be ideal for my layout and I would certainly buy one and possibly two, as nos. 37 and 38 were allox Tondu in 1953 and lasted for some time before being replaced by A30s and A38s.

Oher Dap 7mm examples are to do with livery rather than prototypes, as AFAIK nobody else has produced any RTR GW coaching stock in the 1942-5 lined brown austerity livery as Dap have with the B set, and neither has any wooden unfitted open freight stock been produced in early BR unpainted livery apart from some Dap 7mm examples.  Plain wood in fresh or weathered condition is not the easiest trick to pull off convincingly in a home-applied repaint, so I would respectfully suggest that turning some of these out in 4mm in this livery could be a tidy little moneyspinner for any RTR manufacturer who wanted to have a go.  Again, I'd buy some and I think a lot of us would.  Photos from the very popular 1958-death steam era show that they were a common sight up to the early 60s, well into the green diesel changeover.

What I suspect is stopping manufacturers for going for the S160 is the fairly limited range - less than three years in WWII and then only used on preserved railways, neither of which are especially common modelling subjects.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

There have been a number of models in N gauge in the past that had not then been offered in OO. The Minitrix class 27 issued in the 1960s for one; the Farish J69 for another. Neither was a particularly good "scale" representation by today's standards, but nor were some of the OO models back then. Much the same applies to the Minitrix Ivatt 2-6-2T.

More recently Dapol offered the class 122 first in N gauge. There are also of course a number of locos issued by Union Mills in N which have not yet been offered in OO. 

Heljan have proposed (but not yet issued, I think) the class 120 DMU in O. This is a class which has featured highly in past OO and N "wish list" polls.

Triang's TT DMU was a class 104. An OO model from Heljan is under development. The Triang one was surprisingly good by the standards of the day, judging by photographs.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, eldomtom2 said:

What I suspect is stopping manufacturers for going for the S160 is the fairly limited range - less than three years in WWII and then only used on preserved railways, neither of which are especially common modelling subjects.

You could say the same for 71000 Duke Of Gloucester, Rocket, Lion, the W1, P2s, GT3 and all those prototype diesels where most hardly ever turned a wheel.

The APT-E for example is currently on a second run from Rapido and is even getting fictional liveries due to demand. How many runs did that do? Very few.

Jason

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

The APT-E for example is currently on a second run from Rapido and is even getting fictional liveries due to demand. How many runs did that do? Very few.

It didn't need to do many runs as it accumulated mileage 50% faster than the fastest diesels of the time.  😁😉

• Funny 1

32 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

You could say the same for 71000 Duke Of Gloucester, Rocket, Lion, the W1, P2s, GT3 and all those prototype diesels where most hardly ever turned a wheel.

Most of those have a greater time range - and usually during the popular 50s-60s era too. The S160s as a class probably racked up a far greater mileage than any of those, but that's not what counts when it comes to sales - we still don't have the most numerous British steam locomotive class!

• Like 1

There were a number of locos in the Del Prado N gauge range that weren't covered by RTR or the OO Great British Locomotives partwork (that seemed to clone existing models), such as the Highland Railway Duke, Metropolitan Rememberable tank engine and Midland Spinner.

• Like 1

On 06/04/2022 at 16:52, eldomtom2 said:

Most of those have a greater time range - and usually during the popular 50s-60s era too. The S160s as a class probably racked up a far greater mileage than any of those, but that's not what counts when it comes to sales - we still don't have the most numerous British steam locomotive class!

I would expect more people have been behind an S160 than even know what a DX Goods was. They haven't existed since 1930!

So you are ignoring the one that was owned by the WD and was at Longmoor until 1957 and Big Jim which has been working at the K&WVR since the 1970s (nearly fifty years). As well as the other five that are running about in the UK.

And all those that worked on the Big Four during WWII.

http://www.railalbum.co.uk/steam-locomotives/usatc-s160-1.htm

I would expect more people want S160s than almost any other model. Proof here as it came top of the last poll in 2019....

393 USATC S-160 2-8-0 (WWII)

391 GWR Manor 4-6-0 (7800-7829)

374 BR Standard Class 2 2-6-0 (78000-78064)

362 WD Austerity 8F 2-10-0 (90750-90774)

353 SR U 2-6-0 (31610-31639, 31790-31809)

328 SR Q 0-6-0 (30530-30549)

299 BR Standard Class 3 2-6-0 (77000-77019)

298 GWR Hawksworth 15xx 0-6-0PT (1500-1509)

290 Class 89 (89001)

290 Class 120 Swindon Cross-Country 3-car

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
Link added
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

An S160 is a viable and arguably desirable prototype for anyone modelling a big 4 main line during WW2, but they did not run in revenue service in the UK after they were sent overseas during the war, which limits their potential as 4mm models.  BIg Jim is of course essential for anyone modelling the KWVR in it's preserved state.  That said, the low hanging fruit has been taken, and the likes of Lion, GT3, Falcon, and so on have been taken on as RTR projects, and LSW Adams Radials and Beattie Well Tanks, which spent most of their lives on obscure and remote branch lines (Wenford Bridge was not even accessible to passengers) have sold well as RTR models.

There is an extent to which any prototype will sell, as it will appeal both to the limited number of 'serious' (whatever you take that to mean) modellers who can justify it on their layouts, like the Collett 1938 31xx that I would buy if it were available as an RTR model, and to collectors of particular company's products, and to those who simply like the look and want one on their layout. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

PS That webpage says “discontinued/not available” but the S160 was advertised by Roco in the March “Model Railroader” so I’m assuming it’s actually forthcoming.

R

The thread is about what has been available RTR in other gauges/scales, but not 00. 

That's why I mentioned it in the first place. I was keeping within the OP question, any subsequent discussion was a tiny bit of wishlisting as I would buy one and was trying to point out the demand is there.

Even the DJH kit version was to HO scale, however unlike the WD 2-8-0s and 2-10-0s they strangely never made a 4mm version. 

I had forgotten about the J69. One was planned by Airfix, but never appeared.

Jason

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

The thread is about what has been available RTR in other gauges/scales, but not 00

The S160 is H0, not 00, so completely on topic.

Richard

• 1 month later...