Importing background shapes into Templot

I designed the new baseboards for my  London Road layout using CorelDraw. I have converted the CDR. file to DFX using an online converter and tried to import this into Templot so that I can then create the trackwork templates.

Despite following the procedure (Shapes/DFX import) and ensuring that "show background shapes" is turned on, nothing appears on the trackpad. When closing Templot  a notification appears saying the there are Background shapes that haven't been saved, etc.

Can anyone offer any ideas as to how to resolve this?

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Can anyone offer any ideas as to how to resolve this?

Hi Jol,

Please ask on the Templot Club forum: https://85a.uk/templot/club

That's what it is there for. Unlike on RMweb you will be able to attach your DXF and Templot files, and I and others will be able to investigate and help.

To be imported, DXF files need to be in ASCII-based R14 format.

If CorelDraw can export EMF files, you might do better importing those into picture shapes.

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

How complex are you baseboards? If they are just straightforward rectangles, then it is easier to just draw these directly in templot.

Otherwise, try saving from Corel as a jpeg.

I use Corel a lot and occasionally its export features do produce files with odd characteristics.

9 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Hi Jol,

Please ask on the Templot Club forum: https://85a.uk/templot/club

That's what it is there for. Unlike on RMweb you will be able to attach your DXF and Templot files, and I and others will be able to investigate and help.

To be imported, DXF files need to be in ASCII-based R14 format.

If CorelDraw can export EMF files, you might do better importing those into picture shapes.

cheers,

Martin.

Thanks Martin,

I had searched the Templot Club Forum but without success. I'll post a query later after I've tried with an EMF file as CorelDraw can be saved in that format.

Jol

40 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

How complex are you baseboards? If they are just straightforward rectangles, then it is easier to just draw these directly in templot.

Otherwise, try saving from Corel as a jpeg.

I use Corel a lot and occasionally its export features do produce files with odd characteristics.

Four boards are simple rectangles, the rest are much complex shapes, so importing from CorelDraw is really the only option. Drawing them in Templot would be very time consuming (with my level of expertise, anyway)

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Four boards are simple rectangles, the rest are much complex shapes, so importing from CorelDraw is really the only option. Drawing them in Templot would be very time consuming (with my level of expertise, anyway)

Hi Jol,

The way to draw complex baseboard outlines in Templot is to use the dummy templates option. I have posted about that:

https://85a.uk/templot/club/index.php?threads/tip-of-the-day-curved-baseboards.435/

slewed_baseboard-png.3394

cheers,

Martin.

Thanks to Martin's advice, job done by using EMF file format.

The attached pdf shows the baseboard layout, explaining why I was reluctant to draw it out again. The layout will be permanently located in my workshop but is designed so that the boards can be removed for working on the track, wiring, etc.

LR Baseboard layout.pdf

• Like 1