2EPB / 4EPB

d00m

Bachmann 2 EPB is quite a nice model IMHO.  But I would like to represent a 4 EPB. Does anyone have any tips on rtr trailers for the unit or suitable coaches to convert to trailers?

I don't want to start modifying if there is something out there to just drop in.

Thanks

Dom.

The Bachmann 2 EPB is (correctly) formed DMBS + DTS whereas a 4 EPB was formed DMBS + TS + TS + DMBS. Therefore you need two Bachmann 2 EPB units to provide the two DMBS, plus you need to find two BR standard 10 compartment TS in matching green, and you will need to couple the four vehicles as closely as rounding the curves on your layout makes possible.

You will need to alter the interior arrangement of the TS. The Bulleid-style 4 EPBs had one saloon and one compartment TS, but I have a vague recollection (it is probably 40 years since I rode in one) that the BR standard ones were arranged differently. Someone will remember what the arrangements were.

However you are making yourself a lot of work and you will end up with two unusable DTS. It wasn't unknown for 2 x 2 EPB to substitute for a 4 EPB and my inclination would be to do just that, it would certainly be the cheapest solution in terms of both time and money.

• Tempfix

It s possible to knock up the bits you need with Replica parts - there are good images of conversions people have done on their website (here). I've used the same to produce a centre car for a thumper. The body profile and the the depth the glazing sits in the windows is slightly different between the Replica and Bachmann , but not glaringly so once painted and weathered.

If I was going down that route to a 4EPB though I'd do all 4 coach bodies with Replica bits so I knew it matched, use the Bachmann chassis to power it, and sell the spare Bachmann bodies on eBay. Probably cheaper than buying to Bachmann 2EPBs at current prices (and a lot more fun!).

Good luck with it.
Rich

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I also believe the 2EPB motor coach would not be correct for a 4EPB. The correct one would be that from the 2HAP due to the roof layout which is significantly different between the 2EPB and 4EPB. 

11 hours ago, bécasse said:

The Bachmann 2 EPB is (correctly) formed DMBS + DTS whereas a 4 EPB was formed DMBS + TS + TS + DMBS. Therefore you need two Bachmann 2 EPB units to provide the two DMBS, plus you need to find two BR standard 10 compartment TS in matching green, and you will need to couple the four vehicles as closely as rounding the curves on your layout makes possible.

I'm amused at the assumption is that this must be a green unit 😃

There are still heretics like me that insist on modelling the post-steam era 😎

• Funny 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 08/04/2022 at 22:43, bécasse said:

... You will need to alter the interior arrangement of the TS. ...

Internally, the standard 4EPBs had two four-bay saloons in each motor coach and a five-bay saloon ( outermost ) plus five compartments ( innermost ) in each trailer - much the same as a re-shuffled pair of 2EPBs apart from having seating bays in place of driving cabs in the trailers  ........ towards the end of their lives, the trailers' compartments of most sets were opened out to - I THINK - a second five-bay saloon .......... the 1988 Platform 5 Combo still records the capacity as 112 seats - which can't be right !

• 9 months later...