A much delayed Deltic

Hroth

15 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I much preferred the Lima one myself, the bogies looked like a western, and the front steps were part of the body not the bogie.

Never understood why they moulded a lamp on it though, and the cab windows sat on a big shelf. Performance, I’ll take a Lima pod over a Hornby pod any day.. at the time D 1016 was one of my favourite models. The Hornby one just didnt do it for it just seemed a bit too blunt brutalish is in areas like moulding lines, their class 25 was much better imo, at least when it was painted rather than coloured plastic.

Entirely agree - both Western models had their faults but Hornby's list was way longer than Lima's so I bought four of the latter. I still have them, all in different liveries (D1042 Msyp, D1025 Mfye, D1030 Bsyp, D1063 Bfye).

However I was disappointed that Lima made no attempt to replicate the Swindon hydraulic 'family resemblance' - I have often wondered what the Lima Western would have looked like if they had 'chrome-printed' the cab windows frames onto flusher-fitting glazing, like they did on the Warship. Imagine that, and without the 'big shelf'.......it could have looked SO much better. Perhaps the Trix Western, introduced more than a decade earlier, assists with forming that picture...... Hornby's solution to 'flush glazing' - screen-printing the frames in silver - didn't do it for me, it didn't look right even when printed centrally (which it often wasn't!)

Back to the Deltic, since Hornby never reintroduced the Lima Class 50 one has to wonder whether re-engineering the HO 6-wheel motor bogie was worth the investment for a decades-old compromised model. However I have no idea whether it's used under any ex-Lima continental models, if such things exist....?

16 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I much preferred the Lima one myself, the bogies looked like a western, and the front steps were part of the body not the bogie.

Never understood why they moulded a lamp on it though, and the cab windows sat on a big shelf. Performance, I’ll take a Lima pod over a Hornby pod any day.. at the time D 1016 was one of my favourite models. The Hornby one just didnt do it for it just seemed a bit too blunt brutalish is in areas like moulding lines, their class 25 was much better imo, at least when it was painted rather than coloured plastic.

I still have a Hornby Western. Whatever the respective qualities of the Hornby and Lima models, I just could not unsee that huge moulded lamp and ruled the Lima version out straight away. Other Lima diesels I was quite content with – to the extent of replacing the wheels and installing sound. (Before anyone says it, I accept that I’m mad!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

I have often wondered what the Lima Western would have looked like if they had 'chrome-printed' the cab windows frames onto flusher-fitting glazing, like they did on the Warship. Imagine that, and without the 'big shelf'.......it could have looked SO much better.

Brassmasters sell a detailing kit that addresses the shelf issue - I have one half-completed. The remaining issue is that the windscreens follow a semicircular arc rather than the flattened shape of the prototype. I will finish it one day as 1013 in blue - I have had it for 40 years and it has always run well (these days in P4). 

https://www.brassmasters.co.uk/Western.htm

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Just dug this out of the long grass as in the 2023 catalogue R30048 and R30049 ("Ballymoss" and "The Black Watch") are now listed as having the new TXS sound chips.

However, the Hornby website lists R30048TTS as being available in Autumn '23 while only a few weeks ago it was February '23. R30049TTS has disappeared completely.  And as far as the website is concerned R30048/9TXS do not exist...

Just thought you'd like to know!

• 8 months later...