DC track power issue at points.

barney121e

1 minute ago, melmerby said:

I don't know why we are discussing power supplies as the OP has confirmed his controller is a Gaugemaster Q which has 4 separate windings on the transformer for the 4 controls.

Keith

Because somebody introduced the general discussion about common return and there have been several conflicting posts which will leave the uninformed viewer reading this thread confused, and it is always best to make sure that confusion is cleared up, or even better prevented, before someone damages their equipment 😉

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Keith

Because somebody introduced the general discussion about common return and there have been several conflicting posts which will leave the uninformed viewer reading this thread confused, and it is always best to make sure that confusion is cleared up, or even better prevented, before someone damages their equipment 😉

I don't know about uninformed, I was getting confused about what was what.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I don't know why we are discussing power supplies as the OP has confirmed his controller is a Gaugemaster Q which has 4 separate windings on the transformer for the 4 controls.

I wonder if there are any multi-controllers for sale today that are incompatible with common-return. I sort of doubt it but there could be a exceptions.

• Agree 1

I honestly think that if you are designing a new layout that you want to run more than one train at a time you should consider DCC.  I realize this is a difficult choice for those heavily invested in DC stock but if you want to reduce layout wiring complexity and constantly switching sections on and off then it is worth considering.....

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Smith said:

I honestly think that if you are designing a new layout that you want to run more than one train at a time you should consider DCC.  I realize this is a difficult choice for those heavily invested in DC stock but if you want to reduce layout wiring complexity and constantly switching sections on and off then it is worth considering.....

Talk about topic drift 😄

4 hours ago, barney121e said:

Would this item help with cab control?

71DDzh4ZaoL._SL1500_.jpg

Yes, it certainly would. The switches are "single-pole" (one set of contacts) which means it would only work with common-return. You would need at least two of them - one for each controller.

EDIT: I found the circuit diagram and it would have to be modified to work with cab control. You'd have to make cuts in the copper track in one of the two busbars that connect the outer switch terminals together.

Edited by AndyID

• 2 months later...

You should definitely consider DCC if you want to run several locos on one track, it's an awful lot of extra wiring to add lots of droppers if you feed the track 4 amps but if you want to run 5 loco lash ups then you need to wire DC layout like DCC anyway or you wreck your track like I did recently.  See the point blade hinge destroyed by too many amps, and my DC power supply is only 2 amps...    Its fun though, 40 year old Triang Transcons ...er 60 year old....

DSCN7969b.JPG

DSCN7980.JPG

Edited by DCB