Still on the topoc of expensive Lima diesels.... :)

cypherman

OK I am having a bit of a mad moment. I am collecting Lima diesels. But only in BR green. What I want to know is. What is so damned special with the Lima class 37 that a boxed good conditioned one is commanding an average of £100 to £200 price tag. Some are a bit cheaper at £65-70, but not many. Is it really that good a model to get such prices.

It's just supply and demand. Certain Lima models command a premium amongst the collectors' market. It's not 'worth' £100 to £200 as a model of a Class 37 but some of the very many limited editions are sought after. If you're not bothered about livery you can easily pick up a Lima 37 for under £50, but it will be one of the bog standard ones.

• RMweb Gold

I think part of it was that Lima produced so few versions in Green. And I think at least one of those was a "celebrity" green from the 90s, rather than one in original condition. 

But even the bog standard Blue ones (that I am after) seem to command silly prices.

3 hours ago, JohnR said:

I think part of it was that Lima produced so few versions in Green. And I think at least one of those was a "celebrity" green from the 90s, rather than one in original condition. 

The cutaway bufferbeams meant any pre-1980s versions never looked right anyway.....

My experience over last 50 years running and operating layouts with larger than average fleets of locomotives is that reliablabity is worth something. Hornby Dublo, Wrenn are excellent but need constant oiling, Older triang in almost same class, then closely followed by Lima especially their Diesels and older motors.

I've a few Lima Diesels Detics, class 37 etc and odd steam one  Crab etc, they look quite good, were good value in their day and just go on and on and don't fail.

Mainline, Bachmann, Replica, newer Hornby, both margate and China are just a joke 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, JohnR said:

But even the bog standard Blue ones (that I am after) seem to command silly prices.

2 hours ago, Halvarras said:

The cutaway bufferbeams meant any pre-1980s versions never looked right anyway.....

I think the problem is also that there were so many model variations, presumably the moulds were altered for each variation so there was no going back, therefore making some "rarer" than others.

Obtaining as built Brush 2's and 4's which are correct for my period is somewhat of waiting game, they were made, but probably not all that many in the scheme of things.

Mike.

Another factor might be that as the current Hornby class 37 is the Lima model, it started out being cheaper to buy (say) a Lima green 37 and swap the ghastly yellow body on the Hornby TTS 37, rather than embarking on a repaint. I know, I did!

I could do with one or two more but, as you say, prices have become rather silly.

• Like 1

Old Bachmann/ Mehano/ Mahotenika diesels have all-wheel drive and can be picked up for sub £15. Swap over the side frames, box out the tanks and stick a detailed up Triang/Hornby body on top. Paint 'em whatever colour you like! You can have a whole shed full for under a oner. (Squinting optional...)🤓

And perhaps a slight observation..with the costs of new models being on average getting close to £200.00 has that pushed up the prices second hand locos a bit ? With reduced supply fewer swap meets and people hanging to their collections?

7 hours ago, 47164 said:

And perhaps a slight observation..with the costs of new models being on average getting close to £200.00 has that pushed up the prices second hand locos a bit ? With reduced supply fewer swap meets and people hanging to their collections?

In a way yes, but in my opinion due to covid, 2 years of in and out lockdowns drove people back to housebound hobbies gardening, DIY, walking, plastic kit building etc etc  and of course model railways. Myself during this time finished off all unbuilt kits, brought forward retirement plans and taking to others all similar experiences.

Swap meets are fewer fleebay took off, prices rose, some took advantage and sold stuff, others made good use of stuff left in boxes for years and built bigger layouts

On 16/04/2022 at 23:13, cypherman said:

OK I am having a bit of a mad moment. I am collecting Lima diesels. But only in BR green. What I want to know is. What is so damned special with the Lima class 37 that a boxed good conditioned one is commanding an average of £100 to £200 price tag. Some are a bit cheaper at £65-70, but not many. Is it really that good a model to get such prices.

That's the problem.

They're things that are wanted by collectors and they are in a box. Many of them were short runs of a few hundred. Think how much a good boxed version of a Hornby Dublo or Triang model is going for and they were made in the 10,000s.

It's a fact that a box will add a lot of money to an item. Ignore those that say people don't collect boxes. They do.

Without a box, they're worth £20 to £30.

It's not those that want accurate models with all the bells and whistles, as they are paying £100 to £200 for the Bachmann and Accurascale ones. 

Jason

On 24/04/2022 at 01:40, locomad2 said:

. Myself during this time finished off all unbuilt kits

All unbuilt kits?  I'm so shocked I'll have to have a lie down for an hour or two...how can these things be? This is not physically possible in one lifetime...I can't understand the concept (etc. etc.) .🥴

I do have some Lima diesels from back in the day which get a run from time to time, actually run ok, especially the later ones like class 40 which had better pickups.

Edited by railroadbill
  • Funny 3