Hornby Ring field motors

russell price

Over the years I’ve owned and serviced loads of these and always found them fairly bombproof and respond well to a clean and service. I have a Hornby Western Harrier which I’ve dug out for some attention. Put it on the track and dead, little nudge and it tries to go. Stripping down revealed unevenly worn brushes and general grot. So cleaned it all up , new brushes etc. before reassembling the gear train etc thought we ought to power it up!! Dead apparently locked up, just a quick twiddle on the brass output gear and off it goes lovely, responsive at all controller speeds.  Power off , go to restart and appears to be tight again, all free to turn until power applied then jams!! Free off with a quick turn of the gear and off it goes again??? Bearings???  Winding down?? Magnet  weak in one field??? The motor is an eBay replacement for a worn out one so I do not know it’s history. Any suggestions please?

• Like 1

There are kits out there to replace the ringfield motor with the CD type motor. I have not used the ones for Hornby, but have used several on Lima ringfield driven engines. They have been a revelation in improved smoothness and running. Well worth the cost. Look for Strathpeffer Junction on Ebay. As I have said I have used several of his kits with great success.

• Agree 1